General Trek Talk Are you a Star Trek fan? The official Star Trek thread where no fan has gone before..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, that sort of makes sense.

I always thought it was a shame that they never revisited the conspiracy. Although, that may be for the better since we got the Borg out of it (and the ending of Conspiracy scared the **** outta me when I was a kid :p)

And at least the insects were used in the post-series DS9 books.

Honestly, I wish they would have just tied them together anyway. The Borg could have easily bio-engineered the little critters.

I borrowed a disc of Season 1 of Voyager from my local library. It turns out is was the special features disc. :doh: Regardless, I saw some notes about the creation of Voyager, about Janeway's process and some of the actors' early experiences. I can see now why they couldn't go the more organic dark route of having Maqui-Starfleet tension, because executives were scared that the show would be too depressing already, since there wasn't Starfleet to rely on. Lord knows what they would have thought of BSG, lol!

After being into some other universes, I'm really surprised how well Star Trek holds up.

The entire Star Trek franchise is one of the few SF shows that can create a compelling story with no action sequences whatsoever.

This is very true. I wonder why that is.

This is very true. I wonder why that is.

It's probably the only SF show, or even non SF show, with a strong social gospel at its core. Some fans complain about it, but really, without the "infinite diversity in infinite combinations" ethos, Star Trek is nothing more than a toned-down Star Wars.

Most other SF franchises are about survival or combatting evil. The utopian Star Trek social gospel really makes most of its other kinds of stories possible. In any other SF franchise, if the main hero avoids a violent conflict by a peaceful resolution, fanboys will be wailing about a "cop-out" ending, but with Trek they can accept that because of what the show represents.

Unless the character's name is James Tiberius Kirk. He is the only Star Trek character that I can think of that is expected to go against the grain.

Unless the character's name is James Tiberius Kirk. He is the only Star Trek character that I can think of that is expected to go against the grain.

Ah yes, but Kirk is kind of the exception that proves the rule. Despite his various moral failings, you know by the speeches he gives in public and in private that he genuinely believes in the ideals of the Federation.

That's what we need to see from Pine in the next movie, a big grandiose Kirk speech.

Ah yes, but Kirk is kind of the exception that proves the rule. Despite his various moral failings, you know by the speeches he gives in public and in private that he genuinely believes in the ideals of the Federation.

That's what we need to see from Pine in the next movie, a big grandiose Kirk speech.

With pauses. God help Pine if there are no......pauses. :p

Kirk's Federation was very different. While they still held the ideals of the later series, the 23rd century was more wild west than (Federation) civilized. Kirk was usually on the fringe, days, if not weeks, from help. So bluffing, posturing, and shooting first and asking questions later was sometimes the only way to get by.

Of course, then there were the times when he gave the Prime Directive the finger. :p

The entire Star Trek franchise is one of the few SF shows that can create a compelling story with no action sequences whatsoever.

season 1 of ds9 an episode called "Duet" comes to mind. guest star Harris Yulin was very good in that episode. lot's of scenes are set in a containment cell.

season 1 of ds9 an episode called "Duet" comes to mind. guest star Harris Yulin was very good in that episode. lot's of scenes are set in a containment cell.

Is that the one with the Cardassian labor camp leader?

Kirk's Federation was very different. While they still held the ideals of the later series, the 23rd century was more wild west than (Federation) civilized. Kirk was usually on the fringe, days, if not weeks, from help. So bluffing, posturing, and shooting first and asking questions later was sometimes the only way to get by.

Of course, then there were the times when he gave the Prime Directive the finger. :p

More so the glory days of sailing ships and the British navy. Captain Horatio Hornblower, Master and Commander, etc.

More so the glory days of sailing ships and the British navy. Captain Horatio Hornblower, Master and Commander, etc.

Exactly.

Picard didn't have to deal with that so much. Although Sisko did in the beginning. As did Janeway and Archer.

random comment...I believe Sisco had the most moral dilemas to deal with than any other captain.

Yeah, nothing like being an alien messiah and a starfleet officer.

Incidentally I never knew the first few seasons that Cisco sported hair. I watched from about the 3rd season on. The first time I saw an episode where he had hair, I almost spit out my drink.

Yeah, nothing like being an alien messiah and a starfleet officer.

Incidentally I never knew the first few seasons that Cisco sported hair. I watched from about the 3rd season on. The first time I saw an episode where he had hair, I almost spit out my drink.

heheh
The "Pre-Hair" Sisco (as I call it) was a bit too dry for me...it wasn't until we reached "Post-Hair" Sisco that the character really grew.

Same with Pre and post-beard Riker.
:)

random comment...I believe Sisco had the most moral dilemas to deal with than any other captain.

I love the episode where he and Garrick conspire to trick the Romulans into the war.k

The fact that he could live with what he had done, and the episode's finally scene are epic.

I love the episode where he and Garrick conspire to trick the Romulans into the war.k

The fact that he could live with what he had done, and the episode's finally scene are epic.

Agreed. It was pretty chill worthy. NO Starfleet Captain on any other show would do half the stuff Sisco did. He'd look at the line and if there was an important enough reason, he'd just walk right over it.

i really liked sisko, he really had a rough start compared to the other captains. his wife is killed and he has to raise his son on his own in a new job and enviroment. his assignment was pretty crappy compared to the others. i know he was just a commander then, but damn he really had it rough.

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. Garrik was my fave character besides Otto. He was the CSM of DS9.

I don't understand why Picard doesn't get any action, especially from Dr. Crusher. I'm watching Allegiance right now, and I just wish it were the real Picard.

Yeah I grew to like Sisqo int he later seasons alot. but the first 2 seasons were tough.

Also I like Voyager, but I think it would have been a far greater show if it had been made in this decade.

They were stranded, seperated from the federation, forced to crew a ship with former enemies, and yet they rarely had resource problems and the crew got along great.

It so could have been more BSG-esque and awesome if it had been made in this decade, where tv shows are much darker and less episodic.

Yeah I grew to like Sisqo int he later seasons alot. but the first 2 seasons were tough.

Also I like Voyager, but I think it would have been a far greater show if it had been made in this decade.

They were stranded, seperated from the federation, forced to crew a ship with former enemies, and yet they rarely had resource problems and the crew got along great.

It so could have been more BSG-esque and awesome if it had been made in this decade, where tv shows are much darker and less episodic.

I don't really mind that the crews meshed so easily. A little more tension would have been nice, but these were former Starfleet officers. And it's much easier to learn to work together inspite of differences in the Trekverse.

But resourcewise, the shoe should have been a lot more like the Year of Hell episodes. Not necessarily that dark, but close to that desperate

The producers were too afraid to push those boundaries and risk alienating Trek fans, so they played it safe.

Yeah, I remember thinking how much cooler it would have been if the year of hell two parter was actually an entire season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"