General Trek Talk Are you a Star Trek fan? The official Star Trek thread where no fan has gone before..

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one on TNG was a sequel to a TOS episode with the same virus.

TNG had another one where the crew started devolving.

In DS9, they could talk, but they suffered from aphasia. So while their thoughts were perfectly clear to them, we made no sense to them, and they spoke and wrote in gibberish.

I'm fairly certain Voyager has at least one or two, but nothing specific comes to mind.

And I think Enterprise had one, but again I feel dumb because I can't come up with specifics, and I should be able to.

I like Star Trek: The Next Generation. Its far better than others. what about you?

DS9 (although TNG was my hand-down favorite for years until I watched DS9 again. TNG still sometimes is #1 depending on my mood)

Although I'll watch TNG and TOS reruns, but not really any of the others.

If you mean Best of Both Worlds as the second encounter, then that's season 3&4.

Unless you meant Q Who (and the first 'encounter' as the season 1 finale). I can never remember how late in 2 that episode is.

I can never remember what episodes fall in what seasons anymore... so there's that.

Details are getting fuzzy, it's been a long time. TNG had a nice revival with the spike monster trek o rama, but that's moving on to 5 or 6 years ago now.

but I can still remember some of my favs, booby trap, bobw, all the Worf/Klingon political episodes (that whole arc is superb), the first two Lor/Data... and dr whatshisface episodes, the Scotty is alive episode, the Wesley screws up at school episode, the Wesley is on the run from the entire crew episode (scared the **** out of me as a kid, and Ashley Judd is still hot!), and the Sarek/Spock episodes (Picard sharing Sarek with Spock was a superb touch)

I didn't realize Data is in Superhero movie as the doctor....

I still remember being very surprised to see him in ID4 way back when. Brent gets around.

I have to make a small rant here...at whoever the imbecile at SPIKE TV is that keeps screwing with the ST VOYAGER airings.

I've been trying to record the VOYAGER series off of SPIKE TV for a year or so now. I never got to see the last 3 seasons, I have the first 2 on DVD, and wanted the rest of them (I'm a completest when it comes to compiling series).

When I found out they were showing it, they were showing one episode three nights a week starting around 2am (I say around, because it sometimes started at 2:05, or 2:10, or 2:whatever) and were in the middle of season 6. I get a bunch of them recorded (and a bunch I had to discard because of the screwy time thing) up to mid season 7...when they stopped showing them.

A few months pass...and all of a sudden they start showing them again where they stopped off, late at night. I was able to get the rest of season 7 recorded. They started back at season one (which I already have) so I had to wait around for them to get to season three. Finally they get to season 3 and go halfway through them....when they suddenly stop showing them again.

A month or so passes...and now they are showing 3 episodes in a row in the afternoon starting back at season one. I think...OK, new programming schedual, I can live with it because at 3 episodes a day they will burn through them quick and I can get them recorded sooner. This goes on for two weeks.....then they quit showing them again.

Well.....a month passes, and last night they started showing it agian but at 1am...STARTING WITH THE SECOND EPISODE OF A TWO PARTER FROM SEASON FOUR!!!!!

If I ever get my hands on the creep behind this.....:cmad:

Dude...that's nothing...a few weeks ago I was trying to record episodes of Voyager and it even says Voyager on the programming guide...but Spike was showing those stupid Caught on Tape! disaster shows. :/

Im having on eyes on the gigantic green colour TNG 20th anniversary set... I dont own any TNG at all so Im guessing why not... theres an extra bonus disc too

Hope DS9 and Voyager have some sort of 20th anniversary as well...

I'm watching Haven right now, Lwaxana Troi sure is...interesting. The gong scene was absolutely hysterical.

How many episodes in the entire Star Trek has a plot about a virus going around in the ship? I know theres one in TNG (Which causes them to act weird) and one in DS9 (which cause them to not talk?)...

Ds9 had a couple not in ship but virus episodes and even a story arc around a virus. Babel was the one with the aphasia virus. Then there was the quickening. also one where Obrien got exposed to the harvester. Odo got infected with a virus which later infected the founders. terok nor, garak got infected with a cardassian virus which made him more paranoid. that's all I can remember right now might be more. Ds9 is my favorite ST series the other ones are just more of the same monster of the week.

Dude...that's nothing...a few weeks ago I was trying to record episodes of Voyager and it even says Voyager on the programming guide...but Spike was showing those stupid Caught on Tape! disaster shows. :/
You know, I was recording Voyager on Spike a few years ago until I found out they airing episodes out of order.

Ds9 had a couple not in ship but virus episodes and even a story arc around a virus. Babel was the one with the aphasia virus. Then there was the quickening. also one where Obrien got exposed to the harvester. Odo got infected with a virus which later infected the founders. terok nor, garak got infected with a cardassian virus which made him more paranoid. that's all I can remember right now might be more. Ds9 is my favorite ST series the other ones are just more of the same monster of the week.

"Virus plots" are a common plot device, because they can be filmed fairly cheaply. The "villain" of the show is invisible, and only acts through the modified behaviours of characters who are regular cast members anyway. No need for new sets, no real need to pay guest actors for major speaking roles, no alien makeup, no fighting or explosions. A great way to make a story for minimum budget.

OMG, I just found this on youtube, it's hilarious. I didn't think it was possible for a comedian to go on a mainstream talkshow, mention Bajorans, and then turn it into a joke about the holocaust, but here it is.

Just finished up the first season of TNG. I felt Conspiracy would have made a much better season finale than The Neutral Zone, the addition of the people in cryostasis felt unnecessary. Its saving grace was the introduction of the Romulans.

Last edited:
Just finished up the first season of TNG. I felt Conspiracy would have made a much better season finale than The Neutral Zone, the addition of the people in cryostasis felt unnecessary. Its saving grace was the introduction of the Romulans.

Interestingly, both those episodes were originally meant to tie together.

Really?

I wonder how that would have worked.

Yeah, that was interesting how that developed. I would say more, but I get the impression there are a few people here that are discovering this show for the first time, so I don't want to spoil anything.

Gotta link?

Here's the convoluted story:

According to the Star Trek TNG Companion book, the purple insects were supposed to be just the harbinger of the galaxy-wide threat that was to be a main plot point for the whole series. That galaxy-wide threat was also a plot point in The Neutral Zone, with the mysterious destruction of the Federation and Romulan colonies on the edge of known space.

However, the purple insect master race was too expensive to execute, so the purple insects were eventually abandoned altogether as a storyline, and the galaxy-wide threat that destroyed all those Romulan and Federation outposts became The Borg. So the 2 episodes were originally supposed to be part of the same storyline, but in the end were not due to budgetary constraints.

Ok, that sort of makes sense.

I always thought it was a shame that they never revisited the conspiracy. Although, that may be for the better since we got the Borg out of it (and the ending of Conspiracy scared the **** outta me when I was a kid :p)

And at least the insects were used in the post-series DS9 books.

Well, I'm almost halfway through the second season, and the episodes I've really enjoyed have been Elementary, Dear Data, A Matter of Honor, and The Measure of a Man. Measure is hands down my favorite of the season, in fact, it's my favorite episode of the series thus far. I'm a total sucker for Data-centric episodes, so seeing him go through the trial, and Picard unboxing Data's belongings had me a bit choked up.

Well, I'm almost halfway through the second season, and the episodes I've really enjoyed have been Elementary, Dear Data, A Matter of Honor, and The Measure of a Man. Measure is hands down my favorite of the season, in fact, it's my favorite episode of the series thus far. I'm a total sucker for Data-centric episodes, so seeing him go through the trial, and Picard unboxing Data's belongings had me a bit choked up.

I love Data too! :woot:

The entire Star Trek franchise is one of the few SF shows that can create a compelling story with no action sequences whatsoever.

Yeah, Data was my fave character in TNG too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"