Steel vs. BvS

Steel wins if for no other reason than the scene where Shaquille O'Neil picks up a disabled woman and carries her out of the hospital against her will and everyone cheers him. (I get that the scene is about how he refuses to let her wallow in self-pity, but it's objectively a scene where Shaq kidnaps a woman from a hospital.) That kind of stupidity is more charming in a cheap, bad movie. Watching Steel is entertaining and I always get a bit of a laugh. I can't really say the same about BvS.

I know this is a jokey comparison because SHH likes to hate on BvS, but Steel is a perfect example of why CBMs took so long to take flight as a sustainable genre. John Henry Irons is a cool, complex character, but the minute this film became divorced from the Superman mythos, it was dead in the water. It's one of many times that Hollywood thought that it could just slap a name on a movie and comic fans would eat it up.

That being said, Steel was better than Lego Batman. So there's that. :twisted:

I know this is a jokey comparison because SHH likes to hate on BvS, but Steel is a perfect example of why CBMs took so long to take flight as a sustainable genre. John Henry Irons is a cool, complex character, but the minute this film became divorced from the Superman mythos, it was dead in the water. It's one of many times that Hollywood thought that it could just slap a name on a movie and comic fans would eat it up.

That being said, Steel was better than Lego Batman. So there's that. :twisted:

That is true, yeah. Unfortunately those were the days of just trying to trade on a big name (even if the big name wasn’t known for his acting lol). I’m actually surprised DC hasn’t given Steel another shot. There’s a lot of potential there for a good movie or TV series, provided they take it seriously. And I don’t think that many people even remember the original. More often than not, I’ve notice people get confused about Shazam and they think he played that character (which of course he didn’t; that was KaZaam).

Steel and B&R are the type of bad where it's at least fun to watch for the sheer absurdity of what you're seeing.

The Breakfast Club cat was also a much more intimidating villain than Jesse Eisenberg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"