Justice League Stopping a Dc shared Continuity from interfering with Solo movie.

Zionite1

Sidekick
Reaction score
After seeing the MCU created I have seen 3 main problems a DC cinematic universe cld encounter

1.One Problem with the MCU is that becuse of the shared continuity certain solo films are played safe and cldnt achieve their full potential.For example a Thor movie cldnt go the full fantasy route and Cap cldnt go the full World war 2 epic.A Dc cinematic universe wld likely face this problem

2.Another Problem is that in order to maintain a shared continuity certain elements had introduced to solo movies that either hindered the movie(Ironman 2 avenger references) or kinda felt out of place(Cosmic cube in Cap America).A Dc cinematic universe cld face this problem

3.The Final problem is that a shared continuity has to come up with reasons why the JL heroes dont aid each other in solo movies.Marvel has it easy-they cld simply explain that the reason why avenger heroes dont help each other in solo endeavours is that they were in different locations.For example Thor isnt helping Ironman in Im3 becuse hes not on earth to help.

Different Location is not a valid excuse for the JL heroes considering a good number of the Jl are capable of high speed travel and can show up in cities,countries within moments to render aid.This is big problem for a Dc cinematic universe

So I pose this question to fans-how wld you solve this problems a Dc cinematic universe wld encounter regarding a cinematic universe.

I dont think its a big problem. Thats silly. Superman is simply in Metropolis, Batman is in Gotham and they agree to mind their own affairs until the League has a job to do. Flash has a career elsewhere, etc. It's not a big deal.

It's simple, they just agree to leave each other alone lol.

Thor not going completely into the look and mythology or Cap not being a full blown WWII epic had nothing to do with its shared continuity, it's just the writing. The next Thor will have a new team and will dive into it more.

I just wouldn't reference them in other series. Definitely not in Superman, I want a nice coherent trilogy like Batman for him. I don't think it's needed in all honesty.

A wonder Woman movie that goes back to her origins, same with Flash and Aquaman will be enough so you dont have to mention any League members. Batmans solo movies and Supermans will be better off without cameos or references.

It's actually quite simple, how they can handle it.

I dont think its a big problem. Thats silly. Superman is simply in Metropolis, Batman is in Gotham and they agree to mind their own affairs until the League has a job to do. Flash has a career elsewhere, etc. It's not a big deal.
That really doesnt work.Superman may live in metropolis but he doesnt operate solely in metroplis he operates worldwide.If he sees the joker terrorizing the people of Gotham like he did in TDK Supermans not just gonna fold his arms and say that Batman will handle it.I mean people are in trouble dying.There has to be a stronger reason.

Thor not going completely into the look and mythology or Cap not being a full blown WWII epic had nothing to do with its shared continuity, it's just the writing. The next Thor will have a new team and will dive into it more.

Thor went the sci fi route to fit with the shared continuity Cap didnt go for WW2 epic to fit with the light hearted marvel shared continuity and to quickly get him to the present.

Last edited:
Superman's powers, particularly his speed and senses really should have him working more internationally.

The thing that writers uses to keep him out of Gotham most of the time is that the bat villains are plotters, not giant street brawlers. GL's doing alot of space stuff and WW is in here own world. However they do come together every so often and in a little titled I like to call JLA.

I think your over thinking it. Sure to fans like us who delve into the deeper side it matters. Your forgetting todays audience,lovers of twilight and hunger games. They my good man are in a word stupid.

The science fiction elements introduced to Thor made the movie palpable to modern audiences, and that is where DC has to go if they want to do a shared universe.

Vaporous magical powers have been replaced by powers of the mind (or alien technology).

Last edited:
2.Another Problem is that in order to maintain a shared continuity certain elements had introduced to solo movies that either hindered the movie(Ironman 2 avenger references) or kinda felt out of place(Cosmic cube in Cap America).A Dc cinematic universe cld face this problem.

3[/B]

The cosmic cube was created for the Captain America comics and is consistently associated with the Red Skull. That wasn't a shoe-horned item, but rather, faithfully adapted from the books.

The DC universe faces a much bigger challenge than the Marvel Universe with the "Why don't they help each other?" problem, as the Justice League is a far more powerful group of individuals than The Avengers. We already have a potential error if they decide to keep Green Lantern in continuity, as an alien invasion of Earth would likely warrant a response from at least Kal-El, who would've stopped Parallax rather quickly.

We already have a potential error if they decide to keep Green Lantern in continuity, as an alien invasion of Earth would likely warrant a response from at least Kal-El, who would've stopped Parallax rather quickly.
This is exactly why Reynolds can't return.

I think there needs to be a moratorium on using the word "safe" on this website.

After seeing the MCU created I have seen 3 main problems a DC cinematic universe cld encounter

1.One Problem with the MCU is that becuse of the shared continuity certain solo films are played safe and cldnt achieve their full potential.For example a Thor movie cldnt go the full fantasy route and Cap cldnt go the full World war 2 epic.A Dc cinematic universe wld likely face this problem

2.Another Problem is that in order to maintain a shared continuity certain elements had introduced to solo movies that either hindered the movie(Ironman 2 avenger references) or kinda felt out of place(Cosmic cube in Cap America).A Dc cinematic universe cld face this problem

3.The Final problem is that a shared continuity has to come up with reasons why the JL heroes dont aid each other in solo movies.Marvel has it easy-they cld simply explain that the reason why avenger heroes dont help each other in solo endeavours is that they were in different locations.For example Thor isnt helping Ironman in Im3 becuse hes not on earth to help.

Different Location is not a valid excuse for the JL heroes considering a good number of the Jl are capable of high speed travel and can show up in cities,countries within moments to render aid.This is big problem for a Dc cinematic universe

So I pose this question to fans-how wld you solve this problems a Dc cinematic universe wld encounter regarding a cinematic universe.

You make some good points.

But most DC heroes fill certain niches. Batman deals with stuff that usually falls below Superman's radar, like dealing with the mob, and criminals like the Joker.

Most heroes are spaced out. There is some overlapping, but it's relatively rare, especially compared to say Marvel, where everyone and their brother live in New York.

Personally, if I had to do a shared universe, I would begin it with that in mind. For example, have Batman actually point out that some superheroes (like Superman) don't deal with organized crime.

The only one that's really problematic is Wonder Woman, because she's from such a different background.

"The Final problem is that a shared continuity has to come up with reasons why the JL heroes dont aid each other in solo movies."

That's not a problem, considering the answer is each hero has their own problems/villains to deal with.

The other heroes are busy or didn't exist yet in a given film. How hard is that to execute. Answer: Not very. There are two rules to avoid screwing up a shared continuity in general:

1. Don't write anything massive happening in JUSTICE LEAGUE that would drastically affect the individual films' continuity.

2. Don't write anything massive happening in a solo film that would drastically affect the Justice League ensemble films and their continuity.

The other heroes are busy or didn't exist yet in a given film. How hard is that to execute. Answer: Not very. There are two rules to avoid screwing up a shared continuity in general:

1. Don't write anything massive happening in JUSTICE LEAGUE that would drastically affect the individual films' continuity.

2. Don't write anything massive happening in a solo film that would drastically affect the Justice League ensemble films and their continuity.

How can Kal-El not exist in the GL film? Even if he'd yet to don a cape, he'd still be alive and have his powers...

Right, and in that case, he's either "busy" or "offworld" (a different way to say "busy" in superhero stories)

The big draw of Justice League is seeing Superman and Batman on screen together, they should promote the s**t out of that.

I still say you don't have to do solo movies building towards n Superman & Batman been on the screen together is why cause people will want to see it anyway.

There are no inherent problems with having a shared universe, it all comes down to how it is managed, the problems Marvel Studios faced were essentially of their own making. If Iron Man 2 had a more competent script or hadn't been rushed into production then it could have easily introduced SHIELD/Black Widow without anybody raising an eyebrow.

Thor and Captain America could have been more entrenched in different genres and the Avengers still could have been made, but either Feige or the film's respective directors made the decision not to do so, presumably more for financial reasons than creative. Either way, if you think the end result was lacking, I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that a full blown fantasy Thor movie would be any less lacking, given the creative team.

If you make good films, you have no problem.

The cosmic cube was created for the Captain America comics and is consistently associated with the Red Skull. That wasn't a shoe-horned item, but rather, faithfully adapted from the books.
I felt it was shoehorned because it wasnt faithful to the comics.In the comics it wasintroduced as an object made by advanced scientists.In themovie it was introduced as an artefact left by the gods.That felt out of place becuse Capt America was not a movie with gods and magic,it was a sci fi WW2 story.Putting a magical artefact in a sci fi movie was just odd.Its like a robot showing up in LOTR

The DC universe faces a much bigger challenge than the Marvel Universe with the "Why don't they help each other?" problem, as the Justice League is a far more powerful group of individuals than The Avengers. We already have a potential error if they decide to keep Green Lantern in continuity, as an alien invasion of Earth would likely warrant a response from at least Kal-El, who would've stopped Parallax rather quickly.
Exactly

The other heroes are busy or didn't exist yet in a given film. How hard is that to execute. Answer: Not very.

Right, and in that case, he's either "busy" or "offworld" (a different way to say "busy" in superhero stories)

In other words youre saying that the reasons for why heroes dont help each other in solo movie are

1.The other heroes are busy.
2.The other heroes didnt exist yet in a given film
3.The Other heroes were off world.

Well
1.The excuse"The other heroes are busy."is a bit farfetched.There is no way that all the heroes are coincidentally busy facing some threat at the very same time so that they can t help each other-not unless its all part of an evil master plan of course.

2.The excuse"The other heroes didnt exist yet" is quite good but only works for the first Superhero in existence and thats Superman.I once suggested that the MOS trilogy be set in a timeline before superheroes show up just so that MOS trilogy wldnt have deal with shared universe problems.

3.The excuse"The Other heroes were off world" does not work for any other hero except Green lantern.You might argue tht it works for Superman but Superman rarely goes for offworld adventures,and when he does they are usually brief.Some incarnations of Superman dont even have himgoing to space.So"offworld" doenst work that well Supes.

The Offworld excuse however works perfectly for Green lantern since he spends most of his time adventuring in space,so Majority of the time he is out of reach of superheroes.

Agree with this rules

BH/HHH I replied you in the "Are we underestimating everyone thread?" as thisis is the wrong thread

Last edited:
There are no inherent problems with having a shared universe, it all comes down to how it is managed,
I have already outlined the problems in my 1st post

Thor and Captain America could have been more entrenched in different genres and the Avengers still could have been made, but either Feige or the film's respective directors made the decision not to do so, presumably more for financial reasons than creative. .
It was for creative reasons.For example The creators said Thor had to be a scifi film to fit the same shared universe with Ironman and co.It had nothing to do with bugdget.

Either way, if you think the end result was lacking, I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that a full blown fantasy Thor movie would be any less lacking, given the creative team.

If you make good films, you have no problem.

Actually it would be less lacking.For example if they had gone the fantasy route,we would have a shapeshifting loki with a varety of magicalpowers instead of what we got-a Loki who can only do a few illusion tricks.
By going sci fi they cldnt fullu utilize thepotential of the source material.Dont get me wrong Thor wasnt bad-I felt it wld have been better without the neutering

Well
1.The excuse"The other heroes are busy."is a bit farfetched.There is no way that all the heroes are coincidentally busy facing some threat at the very same time so that they can t help each other-not unless its all part of an evil master plan of course.

It's really not that farfetched. We're talking five to seven people, pretty much all of who have time consuming/demanding day jobs AND who operate as superheroes, whose job it is to protect and save people and whatnot. Seeing as how a lot of things requiring that people be saved happen, especially in the DC Universe, its not really a stretch that coincidentally, they would probably all be busy a lot of the time.

2.The excuse"The other heroes didnt exist yet" is quite good but only works for the first Superhero in existence and thats Superman.I once suggested that the MOS trilogy be set in a timeline before superheroes show up just so that MOS trilogy wldnt have deal with shared universe problems.

3.The excuse"The Other heroes were off world" does not work for any other hero except Green lantern.

And Wonder Woman, Superman, and J'onn, and Aquaman to a point, and Flash if he's time traveling, and pretty much any of them who has access to a spaceship, say, via the Justice League.

You might argue that it works for Superman but Superman rarely goes for offworld adventures,and when he does they are usually brief. Some incarnations of Superman dont even have himgoing to space.So"offworld" doenst work that well Supes.

I don't know what Superman mythology you've been reading. Being offworld briefly is still offworld.

I have already outlined the problems in my 1st post

None of them are intrinsically linked with the concept of a shared universe. Perhaps the third one, but that's only if you consider that an actual problem with storytelling, which it isn't. There are many logical reasons why heroes wouldn't turn up and the audience can be expected to realise this.

It was for creative reasons.For example The creators said Thor had to be a scifi film to fit the same shared universe with Ironman and co.It had nothing to do with bugdget.

The creators of the Thor film used Clarke's third law to justify everything, so they easily could have used any fantasy elements they wanted. They chose to dial down those elements but it wasn't because of Iron Man, because Clarke had them covered. There's also the fact that Kirby's original Thor was arguably more inspired by science fiction than fantasy anyway.

Actually it would be less lacking.For example if they had gone the fantasy route,we would have a shapeshifting loki with a varety of magicalpowers instead of what we got-a Loki who can only do a few illusion tricks. By going sci fi they cldnt fullu utilize thepotential of the source material.Dont get me wrong Thor wasnt bad-I felt it wld have been better without the neutering

I mean lacking in terms of overall quality. There's no reason to assume that the people who made a more 'grounded' interpretation of Thor would make a better film if they employed more fantasy elements. Furthermore, the Loki in Thor could have used shape shifting abilities and a variety of magical attacks if the creative team had wanted it. It's incredibly arbitrary to suggest that illusions and magical enchantments cast on hammers 'fit' within the context of the Thor film but other things wouldn't.

It's incredibly arbitrary to suggest that illusions and magical enchantments cast on hammers 'fit' within the context of the Thor film but other things wouldn't.

I view the hammer's power as cosmic (metaphysical) rather than magical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"