Comics Storm & T'Challa: Royal Wedding Countdown Discussion

FieryBalrog said:
ahhhhh. I see. Sorry :O

Although I disagree with that too :p. Logan has never been shown to love Storm, its never been indicated. They've had a deep friendship with some tender moments, even a few suggestive ones when the writers got bored, but nothing more. It could develop into something more, but it seems based more on fan demand (sort of like Logan/Rogue, although Logan/Storm is more viable) than anything the characters share. There's more evidence in the comics for Storm/Kurt than Storm/Logan by quite a bit. A marriage would be more like hey, we're bored, we've made doe eyes a couple of times over 30 years of comics, so lets break up our friendship and get hitched. It feels wrong, almost... incestuous because of the brother/sister relationship.

It wouldn't be NEARLY as contrived as T'Challa and Storm, of course.

Besides, they're together in Ultimate. For myself, I prefer to keep it that way.

However, I might be just a tad biased because I am a big Jean/Logan shipper. Which I do feel, though, has much more basis in the comics and the characters history.

If memory serves Logan and Storm were dating seriously in Uncanny last year. Again, more of a foundation is there compared to T'Challa...but then again, there's 30 years of history between the Runt and the Goddess too.

Weather Witch said:
If anyone--anyone!--can show me issues aside from the singular Marvel Team up and the recent Wild Kingdom (another contrived crossover) where Ororo or T'Challa expressed desire for one another, a fondness, an attraction--or hell, even an "Gee, I wonder how Storm's doing?" I may not see this as so completely and ******edly forced.

I've got quite a few BP comics from Priest's run that feature them having an affair behind Monica Lynne's back. Not everything has been "retconned"....it's just being fleshed out more forcefully now.

FieryBalrog said:
The list of Logan's "true loves" has been compiled a few times in-comic, mostly by villains, and Storm's never been mentioned. It's been a deep friendship, I agree. Love, perhaps, but not in that sense. I edited my post above (I have a bad habit of continually re-editing posts right after I post them) to reflect more of my objections to it.

What's interesting is that there have been a lot of hints that Storm is bi over the years. Perhaps they could explore a bit of that, tastefully of course :p

Well, of course she's not mentioned. That relationship has never been given the go ahead to be fleshed out. I think Marvel fears it. I really do.

As for Storm being bi, I think I put my own personal preferences there and say that like me, she believes that love is not gender specific. You love who you love. Period. :D

Lightning Strikez! said:
I've got quite a few BP comics from Priest's run that feature them having an affair behind Monica Lynne's back. Not everything has been "retconned"....it's just being fleshed out more forcefully now.

Issue numbers LS. Issue numbers.

CC did a lot of teasing with Logan and Storm when he returned to Uncanny. It seemed like he might have been building towards a romance, but, The Powers That Be obviously had other plans. Nightcrawler did seem to be a bit jealous...then there was hinting about him and Rachel...so who knows.

uncanny455-2.jpg

uncanny455-14.jpg

There's another issue with a flashback covering something similiar.

Good job in finding them so quickly Vixen--I was so not looking forward to digging through my archives and then scanning panels in. :o

Witch?

Christopher Priest also had marriage between the Black Panther and Storm planned, but it was vetoed by Marvel.

Yes, he did.

And that's why this marriage thing is only a shock to Marvel fans who haven't been exposed to the BP comic. Those of us who have been reading this book for a while are not taken aback by these developments--it's been stewing for some time albeit out of the radar of mainstream X-Men fans. It's just that Storm and T'Challa live far apart in different countries, so sometimes it's a matter of "out of sight, out of mind".

But when Storm goes home...that's her dude.

Lightning Strikez! said:
Yes, he did.

And that's why this marriage thing is only a shock to Marvel fans who haven't been exposed to the BP comic. Those of us who have been reading this book for a while are not taken aback by these developments--it's been stewing for some time albeit out of the radar of mainstream X-Men fans. It's just that Storm and T'Challa live far apart in different countries, so sometimes it's a matter of "out of sight, out of mind".

But when Storm goes home...that's her dude.

"Originally Posted by Priest
When Mike Marts and I were discussing ways to change the PANTHER book in the face of certain sales death (see THE DEATH OF THE BLACK PANTHER on my website; go to COMICS then PANTHER), our first idea was Panther-as-villain, where he slips into the same trap Magnus did, and only Storm could redeem him--

--by marrying him. That was the original big move: Storm marries Panther. But higher ups and X-people shot it down
. They didn't say no, per se, but there were enough problems that what we wanted to do would have been watered down too much. So we scrapped it and eventually settled on the idea of someone impersonating the BP and, in so ding, learning what it means to actually BE the BP."

Lightning Strikez! said:
There's another issue with a flashback covering something similiar.

Good job in finding them so quickly Vixen--I was so not looking forward to digging through my archives and then scanning panels in. :o

Witch?

I've seen and read that. That's Hudlin's and Joe Q's primary reference point, actually, and it's still weak as hell. And for the record, LS, I've read BP off and on for years--as I've told you before and Priest was awesome, Hudlin is a butcher. At no point have I ever said that I am opposed to Ororo and T'Challa. I am vehemently opposed to the way in which Marvel is going about it. Their reasons behind it. And their awful, wrong and horrible retconning of Ororo's life to suit a forced story. If the story wasn't forced, then no retelling of a past would be necessary. Think about that. The foundation would already BE there, and not need to be relaid. (Falsly at that).

If this story was laid out in a mature, romance blossoming kind of way, I'd be more inclined to take it seriously--but the shady foundation of a childhood love (she's frikkin' 12/13) is so far out of left field (Yes, left field)I want to scream
Wtf_by_Disregarded.gif
. Look in the above panels yourself LS. She leaves him. Not the other way around. So her "Boo hoo you left me, a child in love for the first time--we could have had it all" seems...what's the word...oh yes, pathetic. It's as though Hudlin is trying to live via BP. He wants to take a strong, independent, stand alone black woman and make her vulnerable and weak when with Panther. Whee, I can see what fun I'll have reading that series.
sarcasticclap.gif

This is BS, and the sales are reflecting that. So many people are dropping Marvel entirely because of this--Don't believe me--check Hudlin's own site. This union won't see year 2, and that's too bad, because done right, it could have been something truly awesome. now, it's a Marvel gimmick. I can't believe you're ok with that. ??

weatherwitch said:
I've seen and read that. That's Hudlin's and Joe Q's primary reference point, actually, and it's still weak as hell. And for the record, LS, I've read BP off and on for years--as I've told you before and Priest was awesome, Hudlin is a butcher. At no point have I ever said that I am opposed to Ororo and T'Challa. I am vehemently opposed to the way in which Marvel is going about it. Their reasons behind it. And their awful, wrong and horrible retconning of Ororo's life to suit a forced story. If the story wasn't forced, then no retelling of a past would be necessary. Think about that. The foundation would already BE there, and not need to be relaid. (Falsly at that).

If this story was laid out in a mature, romance blossoming kind of way, I'd be more inclined to take it seriously--but the shady foundation of a childhood love (she's frikkin' 12/13) is so far out of left field (Yes, left field)I want to scream
Wtf_by_Disregarded.gif
. Look in the above panels yourself LS. She leaves him. Not the other way around. So her "Boo hoo you left me, a child in love for the first time--we could have had it all" seems...what's the word...oh yes, pathetic. It's as though Hudlin is trying to live via BP. He wants to take a strong, independent, stand alone black woman and make her vulnerable and weak when with Panther. Whee, I can see what fun I'll have reading that series.
sarcasticclap.gif

This is BS, and the sales are reflecting that. So many people are dropping Marvel entirely because of this--Don't believe me--check Hudlin's own site. This union won't see year 2, and that's too bad, because done right, it could have been something truly awesome. now, it's a Marvel gimmick. I can't believe you're ok with that. ??

I agree with much of what you've said. However, I do like some of what I've been reading. I like the idea of Storm being Queen of a continent and protecting her people once again. So I'm willing to give it a chance. Besides, I keep thinking back to what Marvel said: This wedding would rock the MU to its foundation. How? :confused: T'Challa is a B-list character. And as you've mentioned, there's no real groundwork laid here, and I have a feeling that most fans will be nonplussed about this. So how will this rock the universe? Here's my theory:

I think that Logan is going to intervene at that wedding and give Ororo something else to think about. In other words, this whole wedding deal may be a smokescreen for a much bigger event. Imagine, T'Challa getting dumped at the altar (the way he dumped her in the retcon) in front of all the dignitaries and heroes of the world--for "The Troll". :cool:

Now THAT would rock the MU.:up: I'm hoping against hope that this is what's going to take place.

Or the attending heroes will discover they all must register before they're allowed to re-enter America. Or perhaps the possessed T'Shan will take the opportunity to assassinate Storm, causing a riot at the wedding.

Lightning Strikez! said:
I agree with much of what you've said. However, I do like some of what I've been reading. I like the idea of Storm being Queen of a continent and protecting her people once again. So I'm willing to give it a chance. Besides, I keep thinking back to what Marvel said: This wedding would rock the MU to its foundation. How? :confused: T'Challa is a B-list character. And as you've mentioned, there's no real groundwork laid here, and I have a feeling that most fans will be nonplussed about this. So how will this rock the universe? Here's my theory:

I think that Logan is going to intervene at that wedding and give Ororo something else to think about. In other words, this whole wedding deal may be a smokescreen for a much bigger event. Imagine, T'Challa getting dumped at the altar (the way he dumped her in the retcon) in front of all the dignitaries and heroes of the world--for "The Troll". :cool:

Now THAT would rock the MU.:up: I'm hoping against hope that this is what's going to take place.

Whoa pal. Queen of a continent?? Do you know how big Africa is? That is a lofty dang goal. Queen of a country--maybe. But seeing as Wakanda is a xenophobic country and she is all about helping all over the world--well that just doesn't fit.

There is no way Wolverine is stopping that wedding--as MUCH as I would love that. Not because he couldn't or wouldn't, but because of Marvel's inhouse office bickering. I know you know what I'm referring to (or atleast i hope you do).

The assasination attempt is far more likely. :(

Well, maybe T'Challa will be assassinated. ;) It's not like Marvel's top brass have an affinity for the comic book.

Wow, I cannot tell you how wrong this is. I am a black female, and I hate this idea, as well as the execution.

I am praying to all the gods I have ever heard of that Logan does do something in the wedding. That would perk up this debauchery.

But I do agree, it will probably an assassination attempt, raiders, or something like that.

The only thing I have to say is: Long live Becky Monroe!!!!

Lightning Strikez! said:
Well, maybe T'Challa will be assassinated. ;) It's not like Marvel's top brass have an affinity for the comic book.

I hope that's sarcasm, because it's a well documented fact that Joe Q views Panther as his own personal stick-it-to Claremont. Read Christopher Priest's site 'Death of the Black Panther' and you'll see.

weatherwitch said:
I hope that's sarcasm, because it's a well documented fact that Joe Q views Panther as his own personal stick-it-to Claremont. Read Christopher Priest's site 'Death of the Black Panther' and you'll see.
:up:

So he's using this marriage for the Black Panther to literally stick-it to Claremont's protege? :eek:

FieryBalrog said:
:up:

So he's using this marriage for the Black Panther to literally stick-it to Claremont's protege? :eek:

To claremont. If you read the Priest page you'll read that Claremont made the remark that BP wouldn't last a year, and Joe Q was determined to make him eat those words... Too much to go into...but yes. Long story short, Yes. Joe Q is using Storm as the final F-U to CC.

I dunno about Claremont payback, but man it looks like Quesada and co looked at Priest's attempt to build on the Panther's ability and lineage and decided it was to high falutin and went with a lower common denominator approach.