Stranger Lounges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow I doubt y'all are selling this show for CC.

It's not a happy... thing. Also, no one watches Game of Thrones for happy fun times. Well, the weirdos do but they're weird.

tumblr_migf718xTA1qfr6udo1_400.gif

Frighteners?

Last edited:
What is berserk about? From a viewers definition?

Humanity at its worst. Murder. Monsters of every shape and size. Demons. The occasional nice thing. People getting broken and becoming quivering shells of their former selves or rampaging monsters. Also, a metric ****ton of rape.

A bit like Game of Thrones.

Basically, if George RR Martin wrote/directed Evil Dead/Army of Darkness
I did myself a favor skipping that anime. :D

I like Game of Thrones mostly. But I think I'll pass on this anime.

I do wanna see cowboy bebop though. I've heard good things about that one

I like Game of Thrones mostly. But I think I'll pass on this anime.

I do wanna see cowboy bebop though. I've heard good things about that one

Bebop is interesting. It has a few episodes that are out there but it has a stylish vibe all it's own and it explores issues of alienation an existential ennui. I prefer the Japanese dub with subtitles but you can see the English dub and still enjoy it.

The Japanese cast actually once said they preferred the English dub. Never heard happen before in an anime.

I usually avoid dubs, but Bebop's English dub is one that I do like.

I watch english dubbed anime as a rule. **** moves too fast for me to also read subtitles for it.

It's an extremely rare case when a dubbed anime is better than a subbed one.

Black Lagoon is a good example, loved the english dubbed version.

I heard Snyder directed that one

Black Lagoon is a big one in terms of the English kind of being important. It's a plot point within the comic itself that the protagonists are speaking English and have no clue wtf is going on with the Japanese gangsters. Plus...you can't listen to Revy spew a string of inventive curse words and expect the same result of actually hearing them in English.

Maybe it's the old comic reader in me but I don't have a prob with subtitles. Dubs though... Even the best, which Bebop's dub is one of the best, no arguement, still contain some awkward pauses and rushes and an unnatural cadence of speech to my ears. Then there is the issue of the way the English dub and the translation of the dialogue for the subtitle can often be very different. It can be quite the crapshoot, and for a variety of reasons the subtitle versions are usually closer to the original language intentions. Finally... I just think there is usually very little subtlety in the way the dub actors portray the characters. This isn't all their fault, as they are being asked to fit dialog into the timing for the mouth movements and this could play with any performance. Still though I find that dub VO talent goes either way over the top or super low energy.

I couldn't see watching any live action foreign film dubbed these days with the choice to see it with subtitles. I feel the same with anime.

I've heard some pretty brilliant dubs in my time, Bebop, Hellsing, Berserk, FMA, Fate/Zero, Black Lagoon...on the flip side I've read the manga a lot of these series are based on and when I hear the Japanese attempt to vocalise some of these characters and give life to the stories it often misses the mark quite a bit. I recall watching Hellsing...trying to listen to a Japanese actor recite bible verses without capturing even a slither of the intent behind the words...it was really quite poor compared to what the English cast and production did with it, often going to the author directly. So yeah, the Japanese...I dunno, culturally I don't think they have a firm grasp on some of the more exotic series out there.

On the flip side, if it's live action I'll usually watch it in subtitles. Last time I saw a movie dubbed was...Godzilla vs somethingorother

Plus to my primitive mind, Jap is indistinguishable from gobbledygook.

Its true. I have a much easier time comprehending Iko Uwais

I watched Cowboy Bebop in subs, I might watch the dubs later.
Black Lagoon is English dub only.

Today is starting off great. Less than two hours of sleep and my car wouldn't start for work this morning. That wouldn't be too bad if I wasn't Borrowing this car while my car was being worked on.

Hooray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back