Sub-billion dollar financial benchmarks reached by non-RDJ MCU films

See Cap Run

Civilian
Reaction score
I've seen some discussion on the forums speculating which MCU film that doesn't feature RDJ will be the first to hit a billion worldwide: a billion's great, but let us not ignore the other benchmarks that RDJ films have reached which the other MCU films have been catching up to from 2013 onwards. Here's what I,can think of so far:

2013- first non-RDJ MCU film,to hit both $200 million domestically and $600 million worldwide

2014- first films to hit $700 million worldwide and $300 million domestically (Cap 2 and Guardians)

2015: Ant-Man was,first non-RDJ solo origin film to hit $500 million worldwide

2016: Doctor Strange was first solo origin film to hit $600 million worldwide

2017: Guardians 2 is first non-RDJ film to hit $800 million worldwide.

So we're slowly inching our way to a billion. The next benchmarks before a billion that the other MCU films have to catch up on are $400 million domestic and $900 million worldwide.

Any predictions on which upcoming movies not starring or co-starring RDJ have the potential to reach the next benchmarks?

2017: Everyone's swearing up and down for a billion
Doctor Strange, Hulk and Thor in one movie

2018: Black Panther should be able to get past the previous origin benchmarks
2018: Ant-Man and Wasp should be able to do more than the first

2017: Everyone's swearing up and down for a billion
Doctor Strange, Hulk and Thor in one movie

2018: Black Panther should be able to get past the previous origin benchmarks
2018: Ant-Man and Wasp should be able to do more than the first

Good calls! One benchmark I forgot to include is Guardians 2 being the 1st non-RDJ film to make over $100 million opening weekend domestically.

So the next benchmarks to be overcome are 1st solo origin to make more than $700 million worldwide and more than $100 million opening weekend (Black Panther perhaps?), first films to do $400 million domestically, $900 million worldwide and of course the oft-discussed billion.

A Guardians of the Galaxy sequel surpassed the domestic box office of the first live action movie featuring Batman and Superman.

Homecoming 2 and GOTG3 could both get to a billion depending on reception. Spider-Man is still an international superstar, so if Homecoming 1 gets great reception, people will definitely show up for the sequel (which I assume won't have RDJ in it). GOTG3 will get a big boost after being in two Avengers films.

GOTG2 gross is nothing to look down upon even though I thought it had a chance at $1B.

Considering since 2008, only 6 movies have been able to gross north of $1B out of the 50 or so CBM?

Maybe it's not as one would assume. Right now, if I had to put money on any of them it'd be Avengers 3 & 4.

Years ago I would have said JL and Batman as well.

I think Disney and Marvel would be extremely disappointed if the next two Avengers movies didn't crack a billion. In fact if reporting is to believed, based on the budget they'd both lose money if they didn't.

I am not quite sure about it.

Last edited:
I am deeply, deeply skeptical of the more absurd budget claims re: Infinity War. Which is to say, somebody probably took the biggest possible valuation of production + marketing budget, then posted that uncritically. I'm sure the Disney accountants *can* make Avengers 3 and 4 look like they cost whatever obscene number of dollars to make. It just doesn't have much bearing on the actual costs in reality, where checks written to yourself and IP license contracts written off by both parties don't count nearly the same as actual dollars paid to other people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"