• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Cloverfield Paradox

Ah, you gotta love YouTube comments. Apparently if you don't like this movie, you're 'lazy and stupid and the reason Hollywood no longer makes original movies anymore'. :funny:

Ah, you gotta love YouTube comments. Apparently if you don't like this movie, you're 'lazy and stupid and the reason Hollywood no longer makes original movies anymore'. :funny:

As someone who didn't even hate the movie, it clearly was an Event Horizon/Alien clone, LOL!

I enjoy Netflix but movies don't feel like real events to me when they premiere on streaming. Maybe I just am not embracing change.

I enjoy Netflix but movies don't feel like real events to me when they premiere on streaming. Maybe I just am not embracing change.

I think it feel as as good as watching it on HBO, that is.. with no hype.

Did Donal Logue's character actually say that about it would mess with the past, present, and future? I don't remember that line.

Yes he did.

The exact quote as I just checked:
"And not just here and now, in the past, in the future, in other dimensions...you have no idea how much I would love to be wrong about this."

You know you guys could just fire up the Netflix app or site and check this stuff. :o

Whoever decided to do that marketing ploy is a genius because from what I'm reading about this and seeing in my followers' letterboxd reviews that is some turd :funny: but they launched it at people before anyone got to review it

Calling it a turd is a stretch but it was clearly a movie that couldn't find itself. They tacked on the Cloverfield stuff at the last minute to make it part of the franchise and it showed.

There was a decent movie buried in it but you'd have to dig for it.

Netflix Paid Paramount More Than $50 Million for 'Cloverfield Paradox'.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...t-more-50-million-cloverfield-paradox-1082305

tumblr_lwks6eCrVO1r8gaoxo1_400_zps36efbeb9.gif~c200

Netflix got screwed in that deal.

Netflix got screwed in that deal.

Are we making this claim by quality or business? At the end of the day, I don't know how Netflix measures success on their streaming. They don't use a traditional box office method. This may have been a success for Netflix, we don't know.

Eh that's true, but I was making on quality. I think Abrams and Paramount knew this wasn't as good as Lane and wanted to get the money and run on this deal.

That I am not disputing, but even bad movies make money. Heck, Fifty Shades Freed is probably as awful as the last 2, and that is going to make money, LOL! Only really Netflix knows if this succeeded, though.

You mean my hopes of Fifty Shades Freed flopping will not happen? :(

No, it will make lots of money :csad:

So J.J. Abrams hosted a live stream on Facebook an hour ago about the movie, and from what I've read, mostly every question they answered was spoiler-free and he regurgitated the "these movies are blood related/like amusement park rides" comments.

I don't get it?

Q&A before a screening in England which only lasted 10 minutes. Fans who submitted questions about the movie were largely ignored due to spoilers, and everything Abrams has said about the Cloververse before (minus one fan theory which he disproved) is the same thing he stated there.

So basically, it was pointless.

It does seem at this point that movies which are otherwise going to flop are given a "Cloververse" connection to try and salvage some of their investment and aren't chosen to be related until they are already or nearly already completed in filming.

Not a surprise there since it was plainly obvious 10 Cloverfield Lane was tacked into this when the studio felt it wouldn't perform well.

Still looking forward to Overlord due to the supernatural Nazi stuff, but I ain't looking at it as a Cloverfield movie. Same as 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Are we making this claim by quality or business? At the end of the day, I don't know how Netflix measures success on their streaming. They don't use a traditional box office method. This may have been a success for Netflix, we don't know.

I think marketing wise it was a success. They pulled a Beyonce shock release and it worked, and ultimately the goal is to boost their viewership by all means. I think in this case it wasn't really about the quality of the product. I imagine both Netflix and Abrams were aware of how utterly trash Paradox is.

It worked in Netflix's favor because they leveraged their unorthodox marketing hustle/strategy with the popularity of Cloverfield.

Last edited:
Eh that's true, but I was making on quality. I think Abrams and Paramount knew this wasn't as good as Lane and wanted to get the money and run on this deal.
I don't think Netflix cares as much about quality at all. It's all about the views. Hence Bright getting a sequel, the Full House revival, and that Adam Sandler deal they did, and all the other less high profile garbage they've put out there.

We treat them like the streaming answer to HBO, but love or hate HBO's products, they are A LOT more discerning about what they put in their line-up. Netflix wants to be the streaming answer to basically all cable, which means the good, the bad, and the really really ugly. They won't complain at all about having a bad movie that gets lots of views.

The marketing was fun and the movie was fun. ¯\_(?)_/¯

The marketing was fun and the movie was fun. ¯\_(?)_/¯
Oh I agree. I'm just saying anyone thinking Netflix will feel like a loser for acquiring this is placing entirely too much faith in Netflix's quality concerns. They got their buzz and their views, so I'm sure they see it as a win regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"