Supergirl Supergirl Season 2 Episode 3 - "Welcome to Earth" MAJOR SPOILERS

So is Alex a lesbian or bi? Was that new girl supposed to be her love interest bc they obviously were doing some major chemistry testing. I actually wouldnt mind this and it would fit her character if they go that route

I didnt even realize that was Lynda until her second or third scene. She looks too skinny and whatever work she's had done makes her look plastic

I'm quite late to the party, but I really enjoyed this episode.

So, most importantly, is the President is secretly an evil Daemonite the current strongest rumour? I'm at a loss to think of any significant character in the DC universe that is a red skinned, blue eyed alien with at least some shape-shifting / appearing changing abilities.

I'll be a little disappointed if the President is evil and hungering for world domination, but the show-down of Supergirl vs. Wonder Woman will be pretty epic to see! Also, it might help to explain why the President was a little ... wooden in her personality (i.e. she was supressing her true feelings and motivations).

Everything else was pretty good. It was a huge suspension of disbelief for Mon-El to escape, learn English, adopt Earth clothing and mannerisms (e.g. hand shakes), somehow meet / interact with other secret aliens in National City, etc within such a short amount of time. It was a little OTT, even for Supergirl, but I guess it's somewhat acceptable to move the story forward. They really need to let Mon-El grow some facial hair though, because that actor is much hotter with a mini-beard!

James Olsen was, as usual, a waste of space. Trying to assign Kara to interview the President on her ... second / third day on the job was preposterous. Even Snapper assigning her to interview Lena Luthor was pretty ridiculous. Does Kara even have a (fake?) degree for journalism?

The villain was a little disappointing and I didn't understand how she could actually burn Supergirl. Kara should have just walked up to her and knocked her out. But, the flame fights were pretty decent.

Alex and Maggie were good. A little obvious, but good. I'm surprised that the DEO didn't know anything about the secret alien society, but I guess they were primarily focused on all of the Fort Rozz escapees since their establishment.

Yes, I am a bit surprised too about Mon El knowing English. Does anyone know why that is? Does everyone else in the galaxy (or universe) know earth and know...um...one of the languages spoken here?

(It'd be funny if an alien comes and starts talking in Persian because they thought learning just that language would do).:cwink:

I think for me this show was always going to drop in quality and interest after Superman had made his two appearances. I obviously am a fan of the show but Superman appearing was always the milestone for me. It's like Batman Beyond Season 3 after the JLU episode the show didn't quite feel as good anymore. However saying that this was a solid episode and the best thing for me is the Mon El storyline. That opening scene where he escaped the DEO (great FX btw) was awesome and probably my favourite episode opener ever.

Seeing Lynda Carter as POTUS was simply awesome and I loved the hint at her jet :cwink:. Nice little twist at the end too.

The Maggie Sawyer/Alex Danvers stuff is interesting and even though I've had where it's going spoilt for me I knew that was gonna be the outcome yonks ago. My only issue is I'm starting to find Alex annoying and I don't know why. There were times in season one she annoyed me "why cause she's just a girl" and this season it's getting worse.

The ending to this episode was quality!

All in all I'll give this episode a 7/10

. Does Kara even have a (fake?) degree for journalism?

Considering she didn't think about being a reporter until Cat saw the potential in her, I'd say no. Besides you don't need a degree to be one

Enjoyed this episode, Kara freaking out over meeting POTUS was funny and cute. And it was good to see Maggie Sawyer enter the fold. I know what happens between her and Alex later but you could tell there chemistry there.

Mon-El stuff was good and interesting. I thought Lynda Carter was a little strange but that may have been on purpose considering we now know she is an alien. I thought that twist was a little obvious a boring though.

However, the end with Miss Martian made up for that.

James Olsen was, as usual, a waste of space. Trying to assign Kara to interview the President on her ... second / third day on the job was preposterous. Even Snapper assigning her to interview Lena Luthor was pretty ridiculous. Does Kara even have a (fake?) degree for journalism?

Considering she didn't think about being a reporter until Cat saw the potential in her, I'd say no. Besides you don't need a degree to be one

If you freeze frame the scene where Cat hands Kara back her resume you see that Kara has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Marketing from National City University. Interesting that Marketing was also Kara's first job choice until Cat shot that idea down.

If you freeze frame the scene where Cat hands Kara back her resume you see that Kara has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Marketing from National City University. Interesting that Marketing was also Kara's first job choice until Cat shot that idea down.

Huh. You know, that actually makes a lot more sense for Kara, in terms of her personality. She's really good at dealing with people, and likes dealing with people. With some more experience, she'd probably be a great PR person.

Huh. You know, that actually makes a lot more sense for Kara, in terms of her personality. She's really good at dealing with people, and likes dealing with people. With some more experience, she'd probably be a great PR person.

True. I guess the writers didn't see much story telling potential in that though. They made Penny on the Big Bang Theory a pharmaceutical sales rep., which is sort of the same thing,
but other than a few scenes in season 8 we never see Penny at work anymore. When she was a waitress almost every episode had her at work.

Thanks. That is interesting. Maybe a future career change for Kara? Or maybe she'll start an independent news blog and use her marketing skills to make it profitable?

Not that Kara probably needs to earn money since she can just crush coal to form diamonds and could probably trawl the bottom of the ocean for sunken treasure, etc. It would explain how she pays for her huge wardrobe of clothes, enormous apartment, etc on an executive assistant / trainee journalist salary (although I suspect that Cat Grant paid pretty well for the former).

Thanks. That is interesting. Maybe a future career change for Kara? Or maybe she'll start an independent news blog and use her marketing skills to make it profitable?

Not that Kara probably needs to earn money since she can just crush coal to form diamonds and could probably trawl the bottom of the ocean for sunken treasure, etc. It would explain how she pays for her huge wardrobe of clothes, enormous apartment, etc on an executive assistant / trainee journalist salary (although I suspect that Cat Grant paid pretty well for the former).

One of the producers, I think Andrew Kreisberg, said Kara is the building super so she gets a break on the rent. Imagine having Supergirl as your building super. Leaky pipe, no problem, use X-ray vision to find the leak and just heat vision the hole shut. Mice? Use super hearing to find the little buggers and fly them to an abandoned cheese factory. And apparently Kara buys her clothes at strip malls, based on Cat Grants comments. So I guess she doesn't need that much money to live.

One of the producers, I think Andrew Kreisberg, said Kara is the building super so she gets a break on the rent. Imagine having Supergirl as your building super. Leaky pipe, no problem, use X-ray vision to find the leak and just heat vision the hole shut. Mice? Use super hearing to find the little buggers and fly them to an abandoned cheese factory. And apparently Kara buys her clothes at strip malls, based on Cat Grants comments. So I guess she doesn't need that much money to live.

I would venture to say that about 95% of Kara's money goes to groceries....:)

Heavily political but I still enjoyed it. The introduction to Mon-El was good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"