Supergirl Supergirl Season 2 Episode 19 "Alex" MAJOR SPOILERS

Yes, they teach us this in Navy boot camp as part of water survival techniques. Ordinary cotton pants work just fine. You tie the leg end in a knot. The pants being wet actually keep the air in.
So as long as their are no holes in the pants you can float for a long time with this.

Thanks. In that video that flickchick posted above, it says you tie the pants in a square knot. Is that any different to a normal knot? Does the knot have to be that type or will any knot do?

Thanks. In that video that flickchick posted above, it says you tie the pants in a square knot. Is that any different to a normal knot? Does the knot have to be that type or will any knot do?

We would just knot the end of each leg instead of trying to tie the legs together. I guess tying the legs together makes it less easy to slip out of,
but leaving the legs loose seemed to work just fine too.

With much of the decision making I think on this series it was a matter of actor availability more than anything. I also think that the President side of this is about to get sticky....

that's true, I guess.

but hopefully the President issue comes back to the forefront soon.

right now, it just feels like a plot point that was introduced early on, but then largely ignored for the rest of the season.

and it's a BIG plot point.......lol.

We would just knot the end of each leg instead of trying to tie the legs together. I guess tying the legs together makes it less easy to slip out of,
but leaving the legs loose seemed to work just fine too.

How does this work in icy cold water where your fingers might be too frozen to tie a knot? And wouldn't your legs get cold if you remove your trousers? Not that wet fabric is going to make much difference.

I've been thinking for awhile now that the President Wonder Woman plot line is meant for Season 3.

And introducing her in this season was basically just a bit of set-up/a tease.

How does this work in icy cold water where your fingers might be too frozen to tie a knot? And wouldn't your legs get cold if you remove your trousers? Not that wet fabric is going to make much difference.

I suspect that, if the water is cold enough to keep you from using this technique, its cold enough that this technique wouldn't really make a difference, anyway.

I did wonder if they were ever going address Kara and the car accident as a kid. I thought the other kids showed up pretty fast in that scene. Reminded me of Smallville with their "adrenaline" excuse.

I did wonder if they were ever going address Kara and the car accident as a kid. I thought the other kids showed up pretty fast in that scene. Reminded me of Smallville with their "adrenaline" excuse.
Jeremiah used the same excuse in the episode that flashback first appeared in.

Okay episode. But...

So...super smart evil genius here thinks several steps ahead of everyone, knows how to hack, can keep himself off the grid, has precautions in place in case someone thinks they've gotten the drop on him. As close as this show would get to having some equivalent of the Jigsaw Killer from the Saw films. Unless it's just for the thrill of the game, which itself is a villain trope we've seen far too often, why does he even need anyone to free his father when he's got all the resources to do it himself?

Also, even though she sort of comes around by episode's end, not a fan of Kara just jumping in head first at the start of the episode because she can. And we've seen in the past that just because she has powers doesn't mean that's the first step. Even Barry makes attempts to talk with criminals at times. And we've seen Kara try to negotiate and talk instead of going straight for the powers.

Sure, in some of those instances, like when Jimmy took the photo, she was powerless, but we've already seen her make attempts to tamper down a situation and even work with authorities, or the DEO specifically, instead of just going in headfirst. Fine that Maggie called her out on it, but Kara has been willing to hold back before, so some of this just felt...off.

Okay episode. But...

So...super smart evil genius here thinks several steps ahead of everyone, knows how to hack, can keep himself off the grid, has precautions in place in case someone thinks they've gotten the drop on him. As close as this show would get to having some equivalent of the Jigsaw Killer from the Saw films. Unless it's just for the thrill of the game, which itself is a villain trope we've seen far too often, why does he even need anyone to free his father when he's got all the resources to do it himself?

Also, even though she sort of comes around by episode's end, not a fan of Kara just jumping in head first at the start of the episode because she can. And we've seen in the past that just because she has powers doesn't mean that's the first step. Even Barry makes attempts to talk with criminals at times. And we've seen Kara try to negotiate and talk instead of going straight for the powers.

Sure, in some of those instances, like when Jimmy took the photo, she was powerless, but we've already seen her make attempts to tamper down a situation and even work with authorities, or the DEO specifically, instead of just going in headfirst. Fine that Maggie called her out on it, but Kara has been willing to hold back before, so some of this just felt...off.

I don't think you can equate this with any other situation where her sister's life is involved except maybe "Better Angels". In that one she was willing to die in order to not kill or even hurt her sister. So, for her to go full force head on in (like her sister does when she (Kara) is in danger) is not farfetched in the least.

Well that sucks. It's like they're pretending the 1st season never happened. It would be nice to have a nod to it.

I'm hoping they will bring him back eventually. If only for an episode or two with the pay-off of him having so much time with the Kryptonian power source. They need to bring that back into play at some point.

I love it how they never bothered to explain how this kid from Midvale managed to block out Martian telepathy. Like, I know J'onn mentioned he was blocking him somehow, but they never followed up on that. How did he even KNOW there was telepathy to block in the first place? Green Martians are not exactly common knowledge to the public and J'onn and M'gann are literally the only ones in existence. And stalking Kara and Alex for a year makes him privy to all the DEO's secrets and capabilities? Did he literally stalk them into the building? Hack in? Is he a genius spy with training or something? I swear, this dude was such an unearned supervillain, imo.

I was honestly prepared to love this episode, but the forced writing for the characters and set-up totally ruined it for me.

Last edited:
I don't think you can equate this with any other situation where her sister's life is involved except maybe "Better Angels". In that one she was willing to die in order to not kill or even hurt her sister. So, for her to go full force head on in (like her sister does when she (Kara) is in danger) is not farfetched in the least.

I did say "at the START of the episode," not throughout. Midway Kara's options are becoming more limited and of course she'd be desperate to do anything. I'm talking mostly about the opening that kicked off the whole skirmish between her and Maggie during the hostage situation.

I did say "at the START of the episode," not throughout. Midway Kara's options are becoming more limited and of course she'd be desperate to do anything. I'm talking mostly about the opening that kicked off the whole skirmish between her and Maggie during the hostage situation.

Ooooooh gotcha....

Honestly the whole conflict between Maggie and Kara wasn't set-up well-enough beforehand, and they had to make both OOC in order to make it work.

But other than that, it was a good episode overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"