Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is shocking. Those tweets were obviously written to be offending, to shock people. I'm almost certain that what was in those tweets is far from true James Gunn. Maybe dark humor is harmful, but even if it is, Gunn hasn't made those kind of jokes for years. RDJ had a darker past, but Marvel Studios still hired him.

I'm also thinking that maybe Gunn had a meeting with Disney people, and some kind of falling out happened then.

Guardians movies do have toilet humor, but they also have the kind of heart that is special in MCU. I will miss that.

I wonder how the cast will react. Sean will probably be gone too.

I believe this choice to fire him might cause some kind of backlash.

The point is that those comments have no bearing on the present. If he is not that person today, is it really necessary to destroy his career retroactively? Clearly nobody gave a **** back then, but because someone right now was dead set on ****ing him over he was put in this position. A lot of the pushback was fronted by people who clearly had an agenda and didn't give a rat's ass about any moral implications. It feels dirty and uncalled for.

That's how I see it anyway.

Agreed. He's been working for the Mouse for six years with no (as far as we know) problems. Unless he acted out on some of the stuff said in his "jokes" I would have kept him on.

Horn (or Feige) should have said that the ideas expressed in the tweets BEFORE HE WAS EMPLOYED BY THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY were not consistent with the values of the company, and similar behavior WHILE HE IS UNDER CONTRACT TO THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY would not be tolerated from Gunn or from anyone else.

Unless there's something else going on here. And there could be.

Friggin ridiculous they would fire him for stuff he tweeted before he worked for the company. If he tweeted them now, like Rosanne, then completely acceptable. His past sketchy, insensitive social media jokes were uncovered the weeks following his announcement of being hired for the first film, so it’s not like Marvel/Disney didn’t know about it. This is bs.

I wonder if they would fire Downey, cuz a video of him in his 90s hay day appeared on the web tomorrow.

Well this is shocking. Those tweets were obviously written to be offending, to shock people. I'm almost certain that what was in those tweets is far from true James Gunn. Maybe dark humor is harmful, but even if it is, Gunn hasn't made those kind of jokes for years. RDJ had a darker past, but Marvel Studios still hired him.

I'm also thinking that maybe Gunn had a meeting with Disney people, and some kind of falling out happened then.

Guardians movies do have toilet humor, but they also have the kind of heart that is special in MCU. I will miss that.

I wonder how the cast will react. Sean will probably be gone too.

I believe this choice to fire him might cause some kind of backlash.

I'm going to predict that a lot of people involved in the Marvel camp, particularly the Guardians crew, are going to be furious.

[BLACKOUT]Thanos killing off the GOTG seems almost (meta-fictionally) prophetic now.[/BLACKOUT]

Marvel knew about similar tweets before production of GOTG V 1.

They were made yeas before being in business with him.

He hasn’t done anything remotely like this since being hired.

This is cause for a statement, not a firing. Complete bs.

I'd post a link to a clip of James Gunn in Citizen Toxie but I'm afraid I'd get flagged for posting offensive content lol. That's just what his background was so tweets like that really aren't surprising nor do I think they should be taken as seriously as it was.

Should he have said anything like that in the first place? No. I've said some bad jokes in the past that I instantly regretted after saying em or realized how bad they were after I spoke, but in today's atmosphere if somebody doesn't like you and they hear about it that's the end of you.

Agreed. He's been working for the Mouse for six years with no (as far as we know) problems. Unless he acted out on some of the stuff said in his "jokes" I would have kept him on.

Horn (or Feige) should have said that the ideas expressed in the tweets BEFORE HE WAS EMPLOYED BY THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY were not consistent with the values of the company, and similar behavior WHILE HE IS UNDER CONTRACT TO THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY would not be tolerated from Gunn or from anyone else.

Unless there's something else going on here. And there could be.

Guarantee nothing “else” is going on here and Disney is just taking the overreactionary PC approach.

Yeah, I mean, unless this is a "where there's smoke there's fire" situation, firing him on the basis of those tweets seems like an overreaction.

This whole thing is wild.

His comments/jokes were super weird and not at all remotely funny, but I think Disney could have simply reprimanded him and let this whole thing blow over in a month or two. It is what it is, though.

I'm going to predict that a lot of people involved in the Marvel camp, particularly the Guardians crew, are going to be furious.

Their Disney paychecks will cheer them up...

Marvel also lost Whedon and Favreau...The show goes on

We do not live in a world where a very public and influential figure making multiple transphobic, homophobic, paedophilic and heavily misogynistic statements on a public forum do not come without serious consequences.

I have no problem with this.

Yeah, I mean, unless this is a "where there's smoke there's fire" situation, firing him on the basis of those tweets seems like an overreaction.

Huge overreaction. Sets a frightening precedent, honestly.

Wow, I'm genuinely surprised that Gunn is gone because of this. Definitely feels a bit extreme over past verbal misconduct. If it was actions, I would get it but these tweets are public record and have been for years now. No way Disney didn't know about them beforehand, and if they cared enough about it being bad for the brand then they should've never hired him or had him delete them.

Shame, was looking forward to adding Gunn to the small list of directors who managed to direct an entire superhero trilogy. Guardians 3 is probably going to get an entire rewrite and most likely delayed. I can't imagine they'll want his name attached in any way, which is a shame. He really made those characters what they are.

Also in other sad news RIP Jon Schnepp :csad:

Not the beginning of SDCC I was expecting.

To add to my previous comment, I just saw more of Gunn's tweets...

The firing makes more sense to me now.

To add to my previous comment, I just saw more of Gunn's tweets...

The firing makes more sense to me now.

Yeah. I don’t think people have seen all of them. Some of them are truly disgusting.

Yeah, you kind of have to see the tweets to fully understand why this happened. Anyone who posted those would be in serious trouble with their employer.

Yeah, you kind of have to see the tweets to fully understand why this happened. Anyone who posted those would be in serious trouble with their employer.

I agree that those tweets are unsuitable for a working relationship with Disney, but why didn't that serious trouble prevent them from hiring him in the first place? Surely they must have known back then.

Yeah. I don’t think people have seen all of them. Some of them are truly disgusting.

I haven't and I'm not going to. I'll just have to take your word on it. It is not something I want to read.

I haven't and I'm not going to. I'll just have to take your word on it. It is not something I want to read.

Good for you. I wish I hadn’t. Suffice to say, I have no problem with him being fired. We can’t rightly lambast and criticise the awful alt-right on Twitter for the truly reprehensible things they say, without applying the same attitude when it’s somebody like Gunn.

About as happy as the prospect of getting a root canal.

But don't worry, I'm sure someone like The Guard will be able to type up an essay length post on why its a brilliant innovative idea.

As an occasional writer and an avid reader and consumer of various forms of media, I have come to understand that literally any creative concept can work if it's well executed, and that just because something is different than what I have seen before, that doesn't inherently make the concept bad...especially in what is allegedly meant to be something of an ELSEWORLDS style film.

Getting pretty tired of having to look at potshots like this from people who have been on my ignore list because they can't bother to be more creative than posting the same snarky insults over and over, and someone finds it clever enough to quote this rude behavior.

You've been reported.

Last edited:
I would love to see Taika take over, but doubt he would want to unless he got to completely revamp and Taika-ize the script. Thinking Marvel might have to go with the Gunn script since they probably already spent a lot of effort and time into pre-production, but who knows.

As an occasional writer, I understand that literally any creative concept can work if it's well executed, and that just because something is different, that doesn't make the thing bad...especially in what is allegedly meant to be something of an ELSEWORLDS style film.

Getting pretty tired of having to look at potshots like this from people on my ignore list because they can't bother to be more creative than the same old thing over and over, and someone finds it clever enough to quote.

It's essentially a form of bullying, and it's rude. You've been reported.

"Any concept can work" is equivalent to saying that any ingredient can work in a recipe.

Yeah, sure, that's true, but if your customer orders a French onion soup, do you really need to add mint, beetroot, and ginger?

I hope Sean Gunn will still be in GOTG3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"