Superhero Cinematic Civil War - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the superhero TV shows, I can say Daredevil is good as was the first season of Jessica Jones. Everything else at Netflix has been a slog. CW shows are amusing for a few episodes until you realize that's all there is....

To put it this way, if we are in peak television, neither Netflix or CW's superhero output seems to be contributing to that sense of quality beyond Daredevil. With that said, I still have not gotten into Legion on FX, which I hear is quite good.

A good point, but I’d argue the biggest problem we’ve seen with superhero television thus far, even amongst the better ones, is that they often don’t justify the run time. Characters and their worlds are properly fleshed out, but there’s so much padding which leads to a season dragging. That’s definitely a problem with the writers not making great use of the medium as opposed to the medium itself, but it’s worth noting how many of them fall into this trap.

There are pros and cons. It’s inevitable that you’re going to get a few bad eggs when you’re producing hours and hours of content. Provided the series is competently shot and written, I can forgive some of the usual pitfalls.

My favorite seasons of any superhero shows are DD S2 and The Flash S1, two shows on opposite ends of the spectrum and have little in common except for one thing: they embrace their comic book roots, and I love them for that. They’re about superheroes doing their superhero thing and not trying to hide or water down that fact.

I love JJ S1 just as much as well, but I see that less as a superhero thing in the traditional sense and as more of a psychological thriller. Same for Legion. I love DD S1, but it feels less unique to me as it basically felt like a superior re-do of what Arrow was trying to be, and the way they saved the costume until the very last (lackluster) finale gave the impression that they were one of those shows ashamed of their comic book roots a little, insisting on keeping things “grounded.” It was just a basic origin story stretched out over more episodes than it needed to be, albeit with pretty good writing/acting/action and a GREAT villain. But S2, with the Punisher, Elektra, and the supernatural element brought in by The Hand, felt like a pure Daredevil show through and through, which is why I prefer it. And I never cared about the Flash in comics til I saw the show, but S1 of that show (once it got going, which again, episode counts are a problem) captured and embraced the pure comic book-y whimsy and escapism I get from a lot of my other favorite DC comics in a way no TV show ever has, so it managed to make me a fan of the character and his world in the process.

All that said, I think we're still a long way off from superhero TV reaching it's potential. My dream superhero show would have the comic book-y whimsical, optimistic spirit of The Flash (because let's be real, my dream superhero of choice would be Superman), the quality of writing/directing of Daredevil/JJ/Legion at their best, have 10-13 episode seasons and the budget/production values of Game of Thrones. Until someone's willing to make that kind of massive investment, the genre will always be held back on TV, imo.

Last edited:
Of the superhero TV shows, I can say Daredevil is good as was the first season of Jessica Jones. Everything else at Netflix has been a slog. CW shows are amusing for a few episodes until you realize that's all there is....

To put it this way, if we are in peak television, neither Netflix or CW's superhero output seems to be contributing to that sense of quality beyond Daredevil. With that said, I still have not gotten into Legion on FX, which I hear is quite good.
Legion and a few of the non-Marvel/DC stuff blow everything out the water. Legion in particular, if you're not familiar with Noah Hawley, is what you get if Gaiman/Moore/Morrison did television.

I'm pretty much in agreement with the majority. The Netflix shows have their moments, but can be a chore to get through - I did not to spend that much time with Microchip's family! And the WB shows are watchable, but I find them far from appointment TV. Legion S1 was interesting, but I felt the show focused on being clever rather than compelling. Out of the shows I have seen , the 1st seasons of DD and Agent Carter and the 4th of AOS stand above the crowd.

I have hopes for Wanda and Loki, but I would really love a Spidey or Batman mini series with a GOT budget.

I would really love a Spidey or Batman mini series with a GOT budget.
Get the Helbing brothers to do that Spidey miniseries. And Bruno Heller for Batman.

No thanks to Bruno Heller for me. Steven S. DeKnight for Batman, Drew Goddard/JJ Abrams for Supes (they worked together back in the Alias and Lost days), Bryan Fuller or Rob Thomas for Spidey, and Ronald D. Moore or Vince Gilligan for Martian Manhunter, pls.

Last edited:
Vince Gilligan for Martian Manhunter, pls.
MV5BMTgyMzc4ODU3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjk5Mzc1MQ@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

sold.

Well...I was just thinking back to how good Hancock was. Didn't know he wrote it.
Ah, gotcha. I mainly picked him for that because his X-Files eps are some of the most brilliant episodes of TV I've seen, and Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul proved he was no fluke. He's phenomenal with character work, doesn't shy away from the weird, and I think he would thrive with a character who's got hundreds of years of history on this planet and elsewhere under his belt. He's probably my favorite showrunner working in television at the moment.

Ah, gotcha. I mainly picked him for that because his X-Files eps are some of the most brilliant episodes of TV I've seen, and Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul proved he was no fluke. He's phenomenal with character work, doesn't shy away from the weird, and I think he would thrive with a character who's got hundreds of years of history on this planet and elsewhere under his belt.
Then, I'd rather give that guy Superman.
Abrams has no time and Goddard just plain sucks.

Also, I should add Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy as potential Batman showrunners. They should've been the more obvious picks now that I think of them, lol.

Then, I'd rather give that guy Superman.
Abrams has no time and Goddard just plain sucks.
Yeah I STRONGLY disagree there, but to each their own.

But I'd also never object to a Vince Gilligan Superman show, lol. He's give us one hell of a Lex Luthor, that's for sure.

Also, I should add Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy as potential Batman showrunners. They should've been the more obvious picks now that I think of them, lol.
Westworld isn't nearly as good of a Batman template as Person of Interest.

Westworld isn't nearly as good of a Batman template as Person of Interest.
Of course not. But Lisa's done great work on that show (AND Pushing Daisies, which had wonderfully morbid humor), and Person of Interest + Jonathan's history with the character should make them obvious contenders, imo.

Peter Jackson made Meet the Feebles and Dead Alive before he went on to make Lord of the Rings. Talent is talent.

Of course not. But Lisa's done great work on that show (AND Pushing Daisies, which had wonderfully morbid humor), and Person of Interest + Jonathan's history with the character should make them obvious contenders, imo.
You know who else has history and did a show with wonderfully morbid humor?

You know who else has history and did a show with wonderfully morbid humor?
Difference being, his is a terrible show, imo, and his "history" did nothing good for the character. Based on that and The Mentalist, I WOULD have said "Bruno Heller just plain sucks"....if he hadn't give us Rome. So as far as I'm concerned, he just mostly sucks, and I'd rather not see him anywhere near any superhero-related material again, unless it's a superhero I don't care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"