Superhero Cinematic Civil War - Part 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far From Home's reactions really are similar to all the other MCU movies. But to me MCU movies have always been good so it makes sense that they would get consistent reactions.
While the level of quality and rewatchability may vary among their many films, they haven't made a film that is outright bad/rotten, with the closest being TDW and TIH. The same can't be said with WB or Fox, who've both made some downright awful films.

That's why the first reactions have me excited. They typically might be over-praised but they are usually not that far off the mark.

Winter Soldier and Civil War, both better than the first, Ragnorok, better than the previous two, Infinity War and Endgame, better than Avengers 2, and I would argue A1. I would also say IM3 is better than IM2, but not as good as 1 obviously.

MCU is looking pretty good on sequels actually.

civil war isn't a "first sequel", winter solider is which I said was better than the first movie

Ragnarok isn't a "first sequel" as I said, dark world is

infinity war/endgame isn't a "first sequel" as I said, ultron is

iron man 3 isn't a "first sequel" as I said, iron man 2 is

far from home is a first sequel i'm comparing to the first movie and MCU first sequels tend to be worst than the first movies usually apart from winter soldier

havent watched ant-man wasp yet though

civil war isn't a "first sequel", winter solider is which I said was better than the first movie

Ragnarok isn't a "first sequel" as I said, dark world is

infinity war/endgame isn't a "first sequel" as I said, ultron is

iron man 3 isn't a "first sequel" as I said, iron man 2 is

far from home is a first sequel i'm comparing to the first movie and MCU first sequels tend to be worst than the first movies usually apart from winter soldier

havent watched ant-man wasp yet though

I think that has to do more with the era of MCU than the fact that they were first sequels. All the films you mentioned were in the 2010-14 era, and post Winter Soldier (Ultron being the only exception) the quality of all the films has seen a marked increase.

The MCU trend is that the 2nd movie in the series ends up being the worst one, though TWS is an obvious exception and I personally like GotG2 more than the first one but I recognize I am in the minority on this. But Mysterio is my favorite Spidey villain, so I am hoping FFH bucks that trend.

The MCU trend is that the 2nd movie in the series ends up being the worst one, though TWS is an obvious exception and I personally like GotG2 more than the first one but I recognize I am in the minority on this. But Mysterio is my favorite Spidey villain, so I am hoping FFH bucks that trend.

I think it’s got a good shot. As I was saying above, most of the 2nd films that are looked down upon came out in the same era, and I think part of the reason we saw a marked quality increase in the films post WS was in response to some of those films being lackluster.

Bah! Not every MCU movie is going to resonate with everyone.

The thing with Marvel movies is that you'll find one superhero that you'll like more than the others and that, at the very least, it's respectful of the source material to a degree.

I don't like Black Panther, he's not a really interesting superhero to me. But it was gosh darn good movie to sit through and watch. And that's quite an accomplishment in its own right.

I think that about sums it up. I’ve made peace with the fact that this rendition of Spider-man isn’t for me. I’ll always have Raimi’s movies to go back to.

I think that about sums it up. I’ve made peace with the fact that this rendition of Spider-man isn’t for me. I’ll always have Raimi’s movies to go back to.
Different strokes for different folks. To me, the Raimi films got just as much “wrong” but the things they got wrong tended to be bigger parts of the mythos.

I think it’s got a good shot. As I was saying above, most of the 2nd films that are looked down upon came out in the same era, and I think part of the reason we saw a marked quality increase in the films post WS was in response to some of those films being lackluster.

I agree with that. Phase 3 in general has seen a massive quality increase for the MCU almost across the board. I am not taking the Twitter buzz too seriously because there are overwhelmingly positive tweets and social media buzz for like, every movie in existence. I do find it encouraging that Jake G is mentioned a lot as a Pro for this movie. Makes me think he will live up to Vulture from Homecoming at least, who I thought was a wonderful villain.

I agree with that. Phase 3 in general has seen a massive quality increase for the MCU almost across the board. I am not taking the Twitter buzz too seriously because there are overwhelmingly positive tweets and social media buzz for like, every movie in existence. I do find it encouraging that Jake G is mentioned a lot as a Pro for this movie. Makes me think he will live up to Vulture from Homecoming at least, who I thought was a wonderful villain.

Phase 3 has massively upped the villain game with Vulture, Killmonger, and Thanos. I’d love to see Mysterio on that tier too.

Different strokes for different folks. To me, the Raimi films got just as much “wrong” but the things they got wrong tended to be bigger parts of the mythos.

For sure. I think for me, what I loved about the Raimi films is that he was literally bringing the comic book pages to life and did it in a stylistic way. Spider-man 1 felt like a live rendition of Amazing Fantasy 15. I will never ever forget the huge dumb grin on my face when Peter walked in the Daily Bugle and met JK Simmons’ JJJ for the first time, the comic book had literally come to life.

Homecoming is basically a modern revamp of Spiderman thats going in its own unique direction and thats cool but it doesnt tickle my fancy particularly.

For sure. I think for me, what I loved about the Raimi films is that he was literally bringing the comic book pages to life and did it in a stylistic way. Spider-man 1 felt like a live rendition of Amazing Fantasy 15. I will never ever forget the huge dumb grin on my face when Peter walked in the Daily Bugle and met JK Simmons’ JJJ for the first time, the comic book had literally come to life.

Homecoming is basically a modern revamp of Spiderman thats going in its own unique direction and thats cool but it doesnt tickle my fancy particularly.

I get that. Honestly, none of the films have been perfect for me. Well, live action, I loved Spiderverse. And after that, SSM is my favorite non-comic version of Spidey.

The first film will always have a fond place in my heart simply because I honestly never thought I’d see a Spider-Man film adapted to screen. In the mid 90s-02 era the most you could hope for was something superhero adjacent like The Matrix, or more grounded hero stories like Unbreakable. So seeing Spidey on the big screen that first time was incredible.

Bah! Not every MCU movie is going to resonate with everyone.

The thing with Marvel movies is that you'll find one superhero that you'll like more than the others and that, at the very least, it's respectful of the source material to a degree.

I don't like Black Panther, he's not a really interesting superhero to me. But it was gosh darn good movie to sit through and watch. And that's quite an accomplishment in its own right.
Marvel have done a great job making you care about characters you previously never cared for.

I liked that Black Panther wasn't a quipper. There are so many Marvel witty superheroes that drop pop culture references and banter that it is somewhat refreshing to see heroes that don't.

I get that. Honestly, none of the films have been perfect for me. Well, live action, I loved Spiderverse. And after that, SSM is my favorite non-comic version of Spidey.

The first film will always have a fond place in my heart simply because I honestly never thought I’d see a Spider-Man film adapted to screen. In the mid 90s-02 era the most you could hope for was something superhero adjacent like The Matrix, or more grounded hero stories like Unbreakable. So seeing Spidey on the big screen that first time was incredible.

Agreed. I think thats why the first Raimi film was such an enormous success. It was literally a breathe of fresh air from the onslaught of dark, black leather clad blockbusters that were dominating the late 90s/early 2000’s. Spiderman (2002) was bright, colorful, light hearted fun and unabashedly comic book.

Agreed. I think thats why the first Raimi film was such an enormous success. It was literally a breathe of fresh air from the onslaught of dark, black leather clad blockbusters that were dominating the late 90s/early 2000’s. Spiderman (2002) was bright, colorful, light hearted fun and unabashedly comic book.

Yeah. X-men showed studios comic book properties could still make money, Spider-man showed them it could make A LOT of money and be comic-booky. They started the superhero renaissance we’re in now.

In retrospect, a lot of the issues that made me very disappointed in SM2 are in SM1, but SM1 will always have that special place in my heart because of the nostalgia and the ground it broke.

I’m in the minority of thinking Phase 3 has been a giant mixed bag in terms of quality, so Far From Home could be anywhere for me. I’m still seeing it opening night, it’s Spider-Man, my favorite superhero.

I have hope that it’s good, and would be elated if it manages to be as good as Spider-Man 2. Hell, I’d even take as good as Spider-Man. But if it’s not, I won’t really be disappointed or too surprised.

I’m in the minority of thinking Phase 3 has been a giant mixed bag in terms of quality, so Far From Home could be anywhere for me. I’m still seeing it opening night, it’s Spider-Man, my favorite superhero.

I have hope that it’s good, and would be elated if it manages to be as good as Spider-Man 2. Hell, I’d even take as good as Spider-Man. But if it’s not, I won’t really be disappointed or too surprised.

Homecoming already beat out those two by quite a bit for me, so I’m good regardless.

In some ways I think I've kinda "grown out" of Spider-Man. Dont get me wrong I do think Homecoming was a decent film. Great performances from Tom and Keaton. I liked how it was a small scale personal story and the villain wasnt actually evil, but simply desperate and felt wronged (justifiably).

But you know... I'd love to see a Spider-MAN film. A film where Peter is fully grown and married to MJ. Has gotta balance his home life, his work life and his superhero life. Soooo much story telling potential that I can relate to. I mean I totally understand why Feige wanted to take Spidey back to high school. But I just... dont really give a **** about high school kids or that lifestyle any more, as brutal as that sounds lol.

A film about Peter B Parker from Spider-Verse would be my jam. I can 100% relate to that guy. In fact my life right now is drastically similar to his when we first find him in the story. ****ed up relationship break down and all. The scene where he talks about how Sea Horses fall in love and stay together forever... **** me... I was in absolute pieces. Then 1 minute later I was laughing again.

In some ways I think I've kinda "grown out" of Spider-Man. Dont get me wrong I do think Homecoming was a decent film. Great performances from Tom and Keaton. I liked how it was a small scale personal story and the villain wasnt actually evil, but simply desperate and felt wronged (justifiably).

But you know... I'd love to see a Spider-MAN film. A film where Peter is fully grown and married to MJ. Has gotta balance his home life, his work life and his superhero life. Soooo much story telling potential that I can relate to. I mean I totally understand why Feige wanted to take Spidey back to high school. But I just... dont really give a **** about high school kids or that lifestyle any more, as brutal as that sounds lol.

A film about Peter B Parker from Spider-Verse would be my jam. I can 100% relate to that guy. In fact my life right now is drastically similar to his when we first find him in the story. ****ed up relationship break down and all. The scene where he talks about how Sea Horses fall in love and stay together forever... **** me... I was in absolute pieces. Then 1 minute later I was laughing again.

I think a lot depends on where you are in life. When I was a young preteen to teen, Spider-man was my thing. There were times I felt the Ultimate comics were talking directly to me, and even some of the classic 616 stories when he was a teen.

I don’t begrudge them focusing on the teen years now even though I’m recently 30. Most of the films dealt with a mid 20s Peter, and we’ve had the 30 something Pete for going on forty years in the comics now.

Personally I hope we get Holland for a decade or more, so we can get all aspects of Spidey with him.

I first came upon married, lower middle class, inner city high school science teacher Peter Parker in Dan Slott's "Spider-man and the Human Torch" mini series. It may be my favorite version of the character. It would be great to see Tom Holland grow into that guy over the next decade or so, but I don't see the Sony deal with Marvel Studios lasting that long.

I first came upon married, lower middle class, inner city high school science teacher Peter Parker in Dan Slott's "Spider-man and the Human Torch" mini series. It may be my favorite version of the character. It would be great to see Tom Holland grow into that guy over the next decade or so, but I don't see the Sony deal with Marvel Studios lasting that long.
Do we see Sony studios lasting that long?

Do we see Sony studios lasting that long?

It's likely Sony Studios will be sold off at some point during that time, which may open a window for Disney/Marvel obtaining the rights outright. I'm holding out hope that, even if Sony pulls Spidey after FFH, we could potentially see Tom Holland playing adult Peter at a later point in time.

I am sort of on the same page in that I personally feel the same way about teenage Parker not speaking to me personally the way that the older heroes in the MCU are. I definitely am more into watching the likes of Peter Quill than Peter Parker these days.

However, I also acknowledge that that is just me personally and in terms of the big picture it makes a lot more sense to have a teenage superhero as a contrast to the other MCU heroes and caters directly to a younger demographic. An adult Spider-Man is considerably less unique and I'm perfectly content getting my street-based arthropod-themed superheroics from Ant-Man instead.

So I agree with Marvel's decision, even if it isn't really meant for me specifically.

It's likely Sony Studios will be sold off at some point during that time, which may open a window for Disney/Marvel obtaining the rights outright. I'm holding out hope that, even if Sony pulls Spidey after FFH, we could potentially see Tom Holland playing adult Peter at a later point in time.

If FFH makes them a lot of money, I don’t see them wanting to pull him back. They need the moneymakers they can get, especially with MIB not doing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"