Superman and Batman: Paragons of non lethal force... or are they?

Yes, that was it. I wiki'd that mofo way back in the days when we (mostly me) were all ranting about Civil War:O.

On further research, I find that New Jersey was the first state to abolish the death penalty. So by extension Gotham City, New Jersey does not have the death penalty
I thought GC was in New York?

i wonder if batman hated himself for doing that.
He kinda did, but I think Gordon hated him even more, if I remember. It was a good book. Check it out.

Justice League heroes don't have to be The Authority to recognize that in order to make an omelette ya gotta break a few eggs. :p
What you insinuating about The Authority? They're the greatest superheroes ever conceived. At least, they were until some ash decided to completely reverse every point that had ever been made by the book by telling a half-baked "cautionary tale" about how horrible and stupid they were to think they could change anything, and how naive militant leftism is.

Then you would be wrong... because Gotham is not a state... it's a City.

edit: On further research, I find that New Jersey was the first state to abolish the death penalty. So by extension Gotham City, New Jersey does not have the death penalty

And when has it be said definitivly that Gotham is not a state or that its part of New Jersey???

Gotham has been refered to over the years as a state as well as a city in many canon sources.

And as for Gotham being part of an other state.....Where Gotham City is Geographly has been retconed more frequently then any other factor in the Batmans history.There has been connections and direct statements that place Gotham city as parts of ether NYS or NJS.

And my original point is that wether a state or a city, Gothams people would in fact vote in favor of a "death penalty" and being that Gotham is such a large city that it would influance state policy.

And the enough of the people of any state that Gotham could be a part of would also be influanced by Gotham's crime rate and vote in favor of a death penalty law.

While there's certainly no real definitive statement of what state GC is in, I don't recall anything that said there was a "Gotham State," while the majority of geographical references suggest New York City. One of the most frequently cited geographical references was an old map that appeared before I was born that showed Gotham in New York, and Metropolis in Pennsylvania.

While there's certainly no real definitive statement of what state GC is in, I don't recall anything that said there was a "Gotham State," while the majority of geographical references suggest New York City. One of the most frequently cited geographical references was an old map that appeared before I was born that showed Gotham in New York, and Metropolis in Pennsylvania.

In both the Batgirl comics and the Sandnan comics the term "Upstate Gotham" was used once or twice.I cant name which issues right now but the term was used.

And you cant have a upstate Gotham with out a Gotham state.

Ohh yeah and I forgot about The Gotham State Penitentiary which was the correctional facility for Gotham City prior to the intruduction of Blackgate Island.

Again cant have a Gotham State Penitentiary with out a Gotham State to name it for.

Gotham State Penitentiary just means a state penitentiary located in Gotham. Like Wichita State University, located in Wichita, KS, does not denote that there is a state of Wichita. There is, in fact, no such state.

The upstate Gotham obviously does suggest a Gotham State, however. I'd chalk that up to writer's mistakes. There has never been any substantive indication that the United States of the DC Universe contains anything other than the same 50 that we have.

Gotham State Penitentiary just means a state penitentiary located in Gotham. Like Wichita State University, located in Wichita, KS, does not denote that there is a state of Wichita. There is, in fact, no such state.

Got to admit I think of that one.

The upstate Gotham obviously does suggest a Gotham State, however. I'd chalk that up to writer's mistakes. There has never been any substantive indication that the United States of the DC Universe contains anything other than the same 50 that we have.

Substantive indication of any real world facts are relitive when it pretains to comic books.It may have been a case of the writters making mistakes or not really thinking the issue trew but I was onlt trying to point out that the statement has been made from time to time.

Reguardless of wether Gotham is only a city or it's own state I believe that its resident's would vote in favor of a death penalty law.And the people of such a large city tend to carry a lot of polictical weight when seting state policy.

Well I think it's currently in New Jersey, but next week it could be somewhere else. Plus this is DCs new Jersey, if Luthor can be President then I suppose it's not to hard to imagine that in DC, the death penalty has been reinstated or was never abolished.

Speaking of that Luthor Presidency: was it just me, or did he come across as kind of a Lyndon Johnson Democrat type? Like real left-wing on domestic policy, but pretty hard-line on foreign policy?

What you insinuating about The Authority? They're the greatest superheroes ever conceived. At least, they were until some ash decided to completely reverse every point that had ever been made by the book by telling a half-baked "cautionary tale" about how horrible and stupid they were to think they could change anything, and how naive militant leftism is.

I was trying to say that the JLA type heroes having a willingness to deal with certain extreme situations with lethal force, like the Authority, would certainly help at times. They wouldn't need to leave a trail of bodies everywhere like the Authority to be tough or effective, but being able to use lethal force once in a while would keep things fresh, and provoke some interesting thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"