Superman effects

Effects, style and imagery are the things we do NOT have to worry about with a Snyder film. Regardless of all else, the movie will certainly look good. Of course, that's not saying the movie itself will be a good one.

You know, I was just thinking, if we want really authentic flying shots.
How about having a pole coming out in front from a helicopters skids with a body harness at the end which Cavill is strapped into. The cape covers it and the remainder can be taken out in post. The helicopter takes off and voila! Instant authentic looking flying. Yes? No? I'd try it.

You think I should call Zack up and suggest it? :)

Besides which, I'm sure they'd have to fly slowly, which would mean the downward airflow from the blades would push his cape flat down over his body...

I post this a lot and its for a good reason i think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sesqrpseNAg
bBZhfO9MtPZgzD_X5hMDoxOm9rO7eyCb

HondaAccordEuro-Whoosh60.mov.tiff_300.jpg

honda-woosh.jpg

This was made in 2008 i might add...

You know, I was just thinking, if we want really authentic flying shots.
How about having a pole coming out in front from a helicopters skids with a body harness at the end which Cavill is strapped into. The cape covers it and the remainder can be taken out in post. The helicopter takes off and voila! Instant authentic looking flying. Yes? No? I'd try it.

You think I should call Zack up and suggest it? :)

They couldn't pull off this in '77 because of the insurance issues they'd have with Reeve. There's no way they could pull it off in this day in age with Cavil

That Honda video was pretty amazing. If we get flying effects like that.... well...

I want absolutely zero slow motion. Slow motion is a terrible way to convey super-speed, formulaic Hollywood Matrix craaap. I want to see super-speed as, uh, super-speed.

I just don't want to see easy practical shots done in CGI...

Like in SR when he flies away from the plane crash..

I want absolutely zero slow motion. Slow motion is a terrible way to convey super-speed, formulaic Hollywood Matrix craaap. I want to see super-speed as, uh, super-speed.

So how do you want it then? Cause Superman can move faster than you think... So Supes at high speed could fix a disaster faster thannit could happen...

i agree that, most of the time, if you want to convey speed you shouldn't use slow motion. that's why Jackie Chan's best fights don't have any slow motion. you get to see how fast his kicks and punches are because they look as fast as lightning...not because they take 5 seconds to land.

slow motion should be use for graceful, beautiful flying sequences, impact shots (Superman throwing a real time punch, then slowing down the shot right after the punch lands), or suspense moments (slow motion shot of a woman falling then speeding up again to real time with Superman catching her just before she hits the ground).

if you have to show that he's faster than a bullet, don't do it the way Singer did by having the bullets in slow motion and Superman flying past them at regular speed. have the bullets move in real time and show Superman as a blur, almost as if he teleports.

Last edited:
What I love about that Honda commercial is that it appears to use old school FX. A real person, great wire work, and marvelous editting.
IMO the only place CGI would be necessary to enhance Superman in flight, would be a CGI cape, as the wires used to suspend him would impede the natural movement of a cape, and the removal of the wires.

Whenever I watch high divers I wonder if that wouldn't be a good trick and very economical for Superman in level flight. Film the diver in the super-suit, in front of a green screen then rotate and superimpose the image on a shot.

Last edited:
Yep, saw that Honda commercial a while back.

Loved it so much that I made a Cavil manip out of a screenshot from it:

Testcav.jpg

i agree that, most of the time, if you want to convey speed you shouldn't use slow motion. that's why Jackie Chan's best fights don't have any slow motion. you get to see how fast his kicks and punches are because they look as fast as lightning...not because they take 5 seconds to land.

slow motion should be use for graceful, beautiful flying sequences, impact shots (Superman throwing a real time punch, then slowing down the shot right after the punch lands), or suspense moments (slow motion shot of a woman falling then speeding up again to real time with Superman catching her just before she hits the ground).

if you have to show that he's faster than a bullet, don't do it the way Singer did by having the bullets in slow motion and Superman flying past them at regular speed. have the bullets move in real time and show Superman as a blur, almost as if he teleports.

Agree...Even though I hated Spider-Man 3, I can't knock this sequence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZvHb1LC1Z4&feature=related

I think the slo-motion was used at the right places.

just like that honda comercial, they should show that as hes patrolling the skies or even when hes flying to the danger. I know its more dramatic to show whats happening and wondering when supes is gonna show, but it would be cool to follow him from take off to the danger

I just don't want to see easy practical shots done in CGI...

Like in SR when he flies away from the plane crash..

Well, I do know that they tried to shoot alot of the flying shots practically with a rig but the wind machine used to blow the cape kept making Routh blink too many times to pass as someone as invulnerable to earthly elements as Supes and the decision was therefore made to go CGI for those shots deemed [for want of a better phrase] eye-watering.

So unless they've solved that problem in the last view years...........

clear, full eye contacts might help a little.

Hmmmmm.....not a problem, as far as I can tell, for those that preceeded Routh.

I think Singer fell in love with the CGI, even though they shot Routh doing the actual scenes. So they replaced Routh with a CGI double that they could completely control the performance of. Singer basically fell into the same trap Lucas and the Wachowskis did. They used the CGI models because they could control the performance completely, even if it was at the cost of putting shoddy CGI in the limelight. The technology to showcase a believable CGI human just wasn't there and it still isn't. Some directors don't get that.

The technology is there I think. Most just dont use it or combine it very well.

GL looks like it'll be suffering from the same CGI-misuse as well. :csad:

I think Singer fell in love with the CGI, even though they shot Routh doing the actual scenes. So they replaced Routh with a CGI double that they could completely control the performance of. Singer basically fell into the same trap Lucas and the Wachowskis did. They used the CGI models because they could control the performance completely, even if it was at the cost of putting shoddy CGI in the limelight. The technology to showcase a believable CGI human just wasn't there and it still isn't. Some directors don't get that.
I honestly don't think directors (or writers) have as much to do with production decisions as you seem to think. I think it's all producers and marketing (not that I'm some sort of anti-capitalist, but most producers produce things for idiots who don't care about comics).

I honestly don't think directors (or writers) have as much to do with production decisions as you seem to think. I think it's all producers and marketing (not that I'm some sort of anti-capitalist, but most producers produce things for idiots who don't care about comics).

No, I don't think that's right. If that were the case you'd have to give credit for something like The Dark Knight to a marketing team and Robinov....which is kind of preposterous. Directors make choices and are the ones who sign off on every shot of the film. Whether they care or not about what's shown to them, it is the directors who give that approval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"