*Ranking Superman theatrical live action movies (JOY SCALE):
  1. Superman --- 10/10
  2. Superman II --- 10/10
  3. Man of Steel --- 10/10
  4. Superman Returns --- 9/10
  5. Superman III --- 8/10
  6. Superman IV --- 6/10

Reactions to rewatching the 1978 film.

Reeve had great earnestness and power in both roles, I thought as Clark in his clumsiness and quaintness he was just comical enough and not more. There were two annoying scenes-his listing off all the contents of Lois's purse (sorry, too George Reeves-'50s identity carelessness-humor) and the contrivance of his telling about not seeing through lead and later not considering that a lead container would probably be a trap (though I guess he wouldn't anticipate Kryptonite being around and deadly). It's also a little weird for the character to have had 12 years of (skimmed-through) training but that contributes to him having such presence from the start and otherwise doesn't feel like a big influence on the story. I do think Reeve's initial voice acting as young Clark and the dubbing it in works really well, contributes to the character feeling like one character and the story like one continuing story.

It worked great that Lois was as ambitious/hard-nosed/cynical as she had to be and no more, she was somewhat dismissive of Clark but far from mean to him, she believably quickly cared about him in a minor way. And she was blown away by Superman but not excessively, that also seeming like just the right amount of being awestruck (it's a little soon that she gripes at him at the end but also entertaining).

It's in some sense awkward but in another really works to have Jor-El prosecuting and convicting the rebels followed right by his being dismissed by the council. Hackman does feel a little overshadowed by Brando and Reeve and is hurt by having a generic/forced inept-henchman and moll but he still has a lot of good moments and overall approach, he really sells the brilliance, arrogance, amoral greed, resentments. He also makes work, even though the dialogue is a bit much, figuring out that Krypton fragments would hurt. Overall he still comes off as a solid antagonist/challenge.

The time traveling back is still a big stretch but works well enough in that the film had been gradually and then more & more increasing the fantasy aspects, doing so to revive Lois (against Jor-El's command) works well as a lead in to both a hypothetical sequel and the one we actually got, the ideas of Clark and Lois growing closer and Superman being tempted by regular human life. As great as Brando was I do think York as Lara in II did a strong job that is too often overlooked or dismissed just for not being Brando.

On a related note, on Friday I caught some of Superman Returns on TV - IMO it's still utterly devoid of any charm or warmth, and Superman himself is extremely bland.

Anyway, I was inspired by that so yesterday I watched the "Donner Cut" and the cinematic versions of Superman II for comparisons same ( It was a slow day at home, back at work tomorrow).

TBH I prefer the cinematic version of Superman II , as it's more coherent ( makes more sense and doesn't skip around as much), has a more consistent tone and
doesn't re-use the same awful time turning backwards ending of the first film, which actually negates all the extra Jor El subplot that they put in

I love Donner's work in general, but I'm glad that we got the film we did back in 1980.

On a related note, on Friday I caught some of Superman Returns on TV - IMO it's still utterly devoid of any charm or warmth, and Superman himself is extremely bland.

Anyway, I was inspired by that so yesterday I watched the "Donner Cut" and the cinematic versions of Superman II for comparisons same ( It was a slow day at home, back at work tomorrow).

TBH I prefer the cinematic version of Superman II , as it's more coherent ( makes more sense and doesn't skip around as much), has a more consistent tone and
doesn't re-use the same awful time turning backwards ending of the first film, which actually negates all the extra Jor El subplot that they put in

I love Donner's work in general, but I'm glad that we got the film we did back in 1980.
What about the arctic police?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"