Superman & Lois Original Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever the producers cast as little Jon Kent is going to be the dealbreaker too. I mean the added element of the kid is something that'll make this Lois/Clark story distinctive from the other tv spinoffs that we've seen. I like the idea of Superman having added pressure to not only keep Metropolis and Lois safe, but having to worry about his child also.

Gives him more layers.

So what stories/villains since the end of Lois and Clark should they draw inspiration from?

I was ready to leave the CW for good once Arrow ended...but damnit this news came. It’s about time though.

I really like Hoechlin's portrayal of Clark/Superman. I agree with whoever said he needs to bulk up. His first appearence, he had a decent build, but as his role went on he slimmed down way too much. Still don't feel like he has that classic Superman look, but he is a good actor. If they can get some decent writers who are more concerned about telling a good story instead of agendas, then I'm all for this series. Would have been cool to get one on the DC Universe app instead of CW. In hopeful for maybe a Batman Beyond series down the road.

I really like Hoechlin's portrayal of Clark/Superman. I agree with whoever said he needs to bulk up. His first appearence, he had a decent build, but as his role went on he slimmed down way too much. Still don't feel like he has that classic Superman look, but he is a good actor. If they can get some decent writers who are more concerned about telling a good story instead of agendas, then I'm all for this series. Would have been cool to get one on the DC Universe app instead of CW. In hopeful for maybe a Batman Beyond series down the road.
I’m sure he’ll bulk up.
It’s easy to understand why he wouldn’t dedicate too much of his time to bulking up for the very few appearances that he’s had.

This show will be good to get a new interpretation of Superman since there is still so much debate about who and what Superman is, how he should be portrayed, if he is boring and OP etc. If successful the show can help the perception of Superman to the general public and only up his popularity. Which can only be good for a movie being developed should it be in the future with JJ Abrams or whoever. Flash and Supergirl both have movies in development so hopefully this is the case for Superman as well.

Superman as a family man is a good way to make this show its own thing and show more of his human side. Ultimately, though, it should be fun, not preachy, and explore some of Superman's lesser-known villains as well as Lois and Clark as journalists. Also a chance to really showcase Metropolis in a new way as well.

So what stories/villains since the end of Lois and Clark should they draw inspiration from?
Well, the big holes in Earth-38 Superman's rogue's gallery are Brainiac and Darkseid. Neither of them have been established as villains he's faced already (though Brainiac 5 from the future has mentioned him facing his ancestor at some point), so either one could be season-long Big Bads. This Supes also has an established history with Mongul and spent some time on Warworld, so maybe Mongul/Warworld comes to him this time for another Big Bad threat.

Aside from them (and of course Lex), I'm actually looking forward to seeing a lot of the smaller villains that would never have a shot in the movies: Atomic Skull, Ultra-Humanite, Eradicator, Titano, Imperiex, Mr. Mxyzptlk (who's already appeared on SG but could of course take a different form with Supes), Vyndktvx, Kryptonite Man, Hellgrammite, Intergang, Equus (actually, while I'm against adapting "For Tomorrow" as a movie, the basic concept of it could make for a GREAT storyline for this show in one of the later seasons now that I think about it)...he's got a really fun and diverse rogues gallery that movies never even get to scratch the surface of.

Having a Superman raising family is a first for Superman's TV/ movie history.

I can see them taking stories from both post-Crisis and Rebirth. One story I hope they avoid is Doomsday because that's been done too often.

I don't see the DEO being used in Superman because that's something that is unique to Supergirl.

As for the rogues gallery, give the big villains for Superman like Lex Luthor, original Brainiac, Bizarro, Parasite, Lobo, Zod, Mxyzptlk, Toyman, Prankster, Ultraman, Darkseid, Imperiex, Rogol Zaar, H'el, and yes Superboy-Prime.

I can see the Legion of Superheroes being the bridge between the Superman and Supergirl TV shows.

The other thing about this being Post-Crisis, assuming worlds have merged and reality has been forever changed, is that any of his established canon from Earth-38 could be easily retconned. So yes, in his current reality, he's already defeated Zod, and Zod is in fact dead. But they could bring in another Zod and say it's one from another Earth that survived Crisis, or whatever. So even villains Earth-38 Supes has already defeated (Zod, Toyman, Reactron, Lobo, Metallo, etc), aren't necessarily off-limits post-Crisis.

That said, I'm sick of Zod as a villain and have no desire to see him anytime soon. They've got plenty of others to play with for a while before they should need to go back to that well.

Gonna slip this meme in because we all know that it's going to be true.
12fdo2z3fcv31.png

Hoping for an episode where Melissa Benoist guest stars and has to babysit baby Jon and hijinks occur. It's an easy episode that writes itself.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, I like Tyler's Clark and Bitz's Lois but I'm not sure about a whole show with them. I get how with Supergirl and Flash on the downside of the leads contracts CW needs new shows to keep the DCTV gravytrain going.

I wonder if this means Supergirl's on its way out.
Rumor is the cast contracts could be up after season 6 for Supergirl
Please site your source on this. Standard industry lead contracts are seven years. Honestly the show I'd be worried about first is Flash with Grant's contract likely ending next season, like Stephen he may chose to walk away.

Best news as a Superman fan. I can see the cast being Clark, Lois, Jon, Jimmy, and Lex.
Well after last night's Supergirl Jimmy's out, Mehcad's moved on. John Cryer's very expensive, I doubt he'd move to Vancouver for a CW salary.

Should have happened years ago but I wonder if the ship has sailed with this

The other thing about this being Post-Crisis, assuming worlds have merged and reality has been forever changed, is that any of his established canon from Earth-38 could be easily retconned. So yes, in his current reality, he's already defeated Zod, and Zod is in fact dead. But they could bring in another Zod and say it's one from another Earth that survived Crisis, or whatever. So even villains Earth-38 Supes has already defeated (Zod, Toyman, Reactron, Lobo, Metallo, etc), aren't necessarily off-limits post-Crisis.

That said, I'm sick of Zod as a villain and have no desire to see him anytime soon. They've got plenty of others to play with for a while before they should need to go back to that well.

Great point about the Crisis changing histories, origins, and characters. The villains for one would change and I'm thinking about Winn Schott when he returns. Also, the Jimmy Olsen we may see post-Crisis may not be the same one who just left last night.

The Legion of Superheroes are likely affected as we may see different versions that require recastings.

Earth-38 Superman and Supergirl's origin may be intact with some changes. They could use the actress who played young Kara as a possible new Supergirl. What if in this post-Crisis world that Supergirl wasn't raised by the Danvers and was raised in an orphanage instead?

Calling it now, we’re going to get a World’s Finest crossover with Batwoman’s version of Batman. You just wait. And it’ll blow BVS: DOJ out of the water.

I see no need for Jimmy in this incarnation, at least not Mehcad Brooks' version. He grew up and moved on from the Daily Planet long ago. He can guest star as Clark's buddy visiting from out of town, but that's all I'd want to see of him. They can include a young Jimmy-esque character who's an intern at the current Planet if they want that "kid who idolizes Supes" dynamic back. It will be interesting to see who populates the Planet now, with Jimmy and Cat Grant gone. Obviously, Perry White's still there. Hopefully we can get Steve Lombard and Ron Troupe in there. I'm sure there will have to be some new faces, too.

If I had to choose ONE writer from the Arrowverse to make this show, it would be Helbing, as he gave me the best eps of the Flash in its early days, and Tyler’s already my favorite live-action portrayal of the role, so I am stoked for this!

I haven’t been too fond of Tulloch as Lois, but oh well, I’ll get over it. Also, given the title, I’m kind of expecting we’re in for a modern day Lois & Clark, but with a much better Superman, and that thought alone makes me smile.

I’m honestly a little in shock this is actually happening, lol. I never thought it was a real possibility.

Tbf to Tilloch we haven’t seen much of her. I personally think she’s great.

Actually I think most people just wanted good movies with a likable Superman.

At least with this show, we’ve already got the likable Superman.

Bingo, but Snyder Cultists can’t seem to grasp that. I’ve always wanted comic book Byrne, Jurgens etc era Superman which Tyler is very much a like.

I expect Jon Kent. Probably some prequel elements to it as well. There's a ton of potential for something like this, and if it's Superman, it's got to have a decent budget, so that gives me hope we could see more cosmic stuff eventually.

Imagine getting some flashbacks to Superman and Lex when they were “friends”.

Well, the big holes in Earth-38 Superman's rogue's gallery are Brainiac and Darkseid. Neither of them have been established as villains he's faced already (though Brainiac 5 from the future has mentioned him facing his ancestor at some point), so either one could be season-long Big Bads. This Supes also has an established history with Mongul and spent some time on Warworld, so maybe Mongul/Warworld comes to him this time for another Big Bad threat.

Aside from them (and of course Lex), I'm actually looking forward to seeing a lot of the smaller villains that would never have a shot in the movies: Atomic Skull, Ultra-Humanite, Eradicator, Titano, Imperiex, Mr. Mxyzptlk (who's already appeared on SG but could of course take a different form with Supes), Vyndktvx, Kryptonite Man, Hellgrammite, Intergang, Equus (actually, while I'm against adapting "For Tomorrow" as a movie, the basic concept of it could make for a GREAT storyline for this show in one of the later seasons now that I think about it)...he's got a really fun and diverse rogues gallery that movies never even get to scratch the surface of.

Having a Superman raising family is a first for Superman's TV/ movie history.

I can see them taking stories from both post-Crisis and Rebirth. One story I hope they avoid is Doomsday because that's been done too often.

I don't see the DEO being used in Superman because that's something that is unique to Supergirl.

As for the rogues gallery, give the big villains for Superman like Lex Luthor, original Brainiac, Bizarro, Parasite, Lobo, Zod, Mxyzptlk, Toyman, Prankster, Ultraman, Darkseid, Imperiex, Rogol Zaar, H'el, and yes Superboy-Prime.

I can see the Legion of Superheroes being the bridge between the Superman and Supergirl TV shows.

See you both just named loads and I totally agree that Superman’s rogues gallery is fun and diverse. It’s really underrated.

The cool thing with Darkseid is that opens up the world to so many more villains from the fourth world such as the furies, granny goodness, Desaad, Steppenwolf and so on.

They've shown a trend of bringing on comics writers to their writing staffs over the last couple years, both with Sterling Gates on Supergirl and Flash, and now Jay Faerber on SG. Crossing my fingers they can continue that trend for this. My dream choices and favorite Supes writers of all-time would be Peter Tomasi and Kurt Busiek, who've both excelled at writing Supes as a family man, but of course they're quite busy and probably far too big to hope for. Still, some more comics blood on the staff would be lovely.

Wasn't sure about a CW Superman show since as I understand Supergirl did a lot of the "Superman" stories but with the wrinkle of Jon I think this has a place within the Arrowverse. Tho I do hope at some point we get a time jump down the road so we get an older Jon as there's only so much you can do with a baby lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"