Superman Returns Superman Returns has Oscar Considerations

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
Warner Bros. Pictures official awards site lists "Superman Returns" for Oscar nomination consideration under the following categories:

Best Picture - Produced by Jon Peters, Bryan Singer, Gilbert Adler

Best Director - Bryan Singer

Best Actor - Brandon Routh

Best Supporting Actor - Kevin Spacey

Best Supporting Actress - Kate Bosworth

Best Adapted Screenplay - Screenplay by: Michael Dougherty & Dan Harris, Story by: Bryan Singer & Michael Dougherty & Dan Harris

Best Art Direction - Production Designer: Guy Hendrix Dyas, Set Decorator: Brian Dusting

Best Cinematography - Newton Thomas Sigel, A.S.C.

Best Costume Design - Louise Mingenbach

Best Film Editing - John Ottman, Elliot Graham

Best Makeup - Key Makeup/Hair: Nikki Gooley, Hair Stylist: Shane Thomas

Best Original Score - John Ottman

Best Sound Mixing - Sound Mixer: Salty Brincat, Re-Recording Mixers: John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff, Dave Campbell

Best Sound Editing - Craig Berkey

Best Visual Effects - Mark Stetson, Richard R. Hoover, Neil Corbould, Jon Thum

Source: http://php.warnerbros.com/movies/warnerbros2006/supermanreturns.html

They will realistically get special effects awards, nothing else. Spider-Man 2 had an Oscar push, but all it got was effects awards.

It's a standard "For your consideration" campaign that happens around this time of the year. All distribs pump coin into it if they think there's even a remote chance their pic can garner a nom in a particular category. Miramax, anybody?

Get excited over the actual noms when AMPAS announces them, not the campaigns that ensue to garner them. That said, I'm sure SR will capture a few noms - art dir and VFX being shoe-ins.

Guy Dyas should definitely be nominated for an Oscar. His production design on the film was exceptional.

is it fare to campaign for Best Original Score, when the best parts were the Williams score?

best costume design...

heh, yeah right...

As much as I love SR, Davy Jones looked amazing.

The production designs and cinematography were amazing.

Best Actor.....Brandonwneedp2eo203320940!!!!!!!!!!++!_!~~~~~~~~~=

It'll probably just end up with noms for visual effects and score, sound editing maybe. It'd be awesome to see it get a Best Picture nom though. :)

Freddy_Krueger said:
It'll probably just end up with noms for visual effects and score, sound editing maybe. It'd be awesome to see it get a Best Picture nom though. :)

I was going to make a joke about Superman Returns being terrible in response to this, but I am going to leave it alone.

Spider-Fan930 said:
I was going to make a joke about Superman Returns being terrible in response to this, but I am going to leave it alone.

I'm sure it would have been a knee slapper.

If brandon got a best actor nomination..i would be so pleased for him.

i think it would be cool if it won best VFX, considering that the original Superman movie won best VFX.

the thing the academy will look for in special effects isnt how cool but how real.

have you ever seen a man? yes. so itd be instantly noticable if he looked fake while flying. have you ever seen a human squid? hell no. so how you know if davy jones looked real?

i expect nominations in the following categories:

Best Art Direction - Production Designer: Guy Hendrix Dyas, Set Decorator: Brian Dusting

Best Cinematography - Newton Thomas Sigel, A.S.C.

Best Sound Mixing - Sound Mixer: Salty Brincat, Re-Recording Mixers: John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff, Dave Campbell

Best Sound Editing - Craig Berkey

Best Visual Effects - Mark Stetson, Richard R. Hoover, Neil Corbould, Jon Thum

I think the Oscar for best visual effects will go to Pirates 2. Eragon and Posiedon will get nominations.
In my opinion the digital doubles in Spiderman 2 and Attack of the Clones are alot better than Superman Returns.

POTC2 i think had not only the best but the most ground breaking effects and looks like a lock for the award.

pirates01pirates2ns06020kf1.gif

I can see SR getting noms for visual effects, cinematography and the one i really hope gets a nom is art direction. Guy Dyas and co. did an amazing job in my opnion and would love to see them getting recognition.

I really think that it should get some kind of push for Best Director. All the noms that you guys have named are obvious locks, but of the "big ones" this is the one I think it would have the best chance in....Singer really did create a beautiful movie.

-R

Robin91939 said:
I really think that it should get some kind of push for Best Director. All the noms that you guys have named are obvious locks, but of the "big ones" this is the one I think it would have the best chance in....Singer really did create a beautiful movie.

-R
I actually thought SR was Singer's weakest film to date, even though that's not a criterion for judging an Oscar.

best visual effects ? hahahahahhahahahahaahha this just shows that some here really are not realistic.

davy jones was the next step in CGI. it will win. if it will not than something is wrong with this world. this is not even about opinion. it is just tooooooooo obvious.

Wow!

It's discouraging to me that most of you (this includes people who liked and people who hated SUPERMAN RETURNS) have no idea what you're even talking about!

First, to all those who liked RETURNS: it's standard practice for each studio to put all of their films that have the potential to win even just one Academy Award up for consideration for every Academy Award; even FANTASTIC FOUR had posters like these last year! My best friend and I (who follow the Oscar season religiously every year) collect most of these posters every year (they're advertised in Variety, Hollywood's official newspaper, which we actually subscribe to).

Second, to all those who hated RETURNS and senselessly criticize it whenever you get the chance to do so: before you make yourselves look like idiots (too late!) and aimlessly scoff at the idea of RETURNS winning an Academy Award, I'll educate you in this area of expertise. In actuality, RETURNS has a great chance of winning one Academy Award this year, and it is, you guessed it, for Best Visual Effects. Now, I'll have you know (by the way, since you didn't like RETURNS, you're not going to like this, but the truth hurts) that it's no longer a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact, that RETURNS has groundbreaking visual effects because the Visual Effects Guild (which consists of people, professionals, experts who create visual effects for a living) has officially nominated the Bullet-In-The-Eye sequence for Best Visual Effect shot of the year! These people know more about the art behind making visual effects than any of you will ever hope to.

There you have it: all the blind fanatics may stop ejaculating over the idea of RETURNS winning Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Score, and Best Art Direction, and all the blind morons who *********e to John Byrne's Superman may stop idiotically criticizing RETURNS because it actually has a chance of being nominated for Best Visual Effects (and possibly in the two sound categories).

I suggest all of you research what we're supposed to be discussing in this thread before you actually discuss it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"