Supes Power level.

GreenKToo

I run into burning buildings. Crazy huh.
Reaction score
I think this will be fun.
What and where do you want Superman's power level to be?
Planet moving?
Fleischer?
A few hundred thousand tons?

My preference is his limit be around lifting a 100,000 tons, a little more if he pushes it, but it drains him.

I definitely want to see some god tier abilities on display.

One criticism of Superman that I’ve never gotten is when people say he sucks because he’s “too” powerful or has “too many” powers. Dude, that’s a big part of WHY he’s so cool. A person with that much power who only uses it for good is an easy character to root for. Especially when he goes up against a threat who is at his level or above it… it lets you know just how dangerous his foes can be.

On the flipside of him having God level power, the more powerful he is, the more powerful the villain(s) will have to be.

As long as it's:

vegeta-its-over9000.gif

He shouldn't be less powerful than, say, MCU's Captain Marvel. As long as the story is compelling, his obscene power level shouldn't be a problem IMO.

I mean a 100,000 tons is nothing to sneeze at.
He Just wouldn't be planet moving strong.
Still bullet proof, Still faster than a speeding bullet, etc etc.

If he were planet moving strong, then why have other heroes?
It would be like an ant helping an elephant to defeat a rhinoceros.
Granted, some of those ants may have powers, but they'd still be an ant compared to a God.

I mean a 100,000 tons is nothing to sneeze at.
He Just wouldn't be planet moving strong.
Still bullet proof, Still faster than a speeding bullet, etc etc.

If he were planet moving strong, then why have other heroes?
It would be like an ant helping an elephant to defeat a rhinoceros.
Granted, some of those ants may have powers, but they'd still be an ant compared to a God.
Black Widow and Arrow Dude are in the Avengers and somehow contribute ;) (just being silly)

Even with supes being planet moving powerful he still can't be everywhere all at once so other heroes are still needed.

I'm flexible. It depends on what the creative team is trying to say about the character and/or what sort of challenges he'll be facing.

I'll say that, at a minimum, no weapon or technology on Earth should be a match for a fully-grown Superman.

As a big fan of silver age Superman, I've always erred to the side of making him really powerful.
He's the daddy of all superheroes. Let's push the envelope.

People say it will make him less relatable, or harder to write for. So? If he can lift 5000 tons, he's already not entirely relatable to the average man or woman - let's make it 50,000 tons instead. Or even 500,000 tons and have some wow factor. And as for the writers, put their imagination to work and earn their money and find other ways to make him more relatable.

A detuned Superman does little for me. We have plenty of b-list and c-list superheroes already filling that brief - this guy should be top tier.

Lois & Clark does a great job of showing that it is possible to have a Superman we can be in tune with - a guy with a family, friends, a farm, real world concerns like anyone else - but who can also have the power to shatter reality with a punch like he did in S2 Ep15

Planet moving?
Fleischer?

My preference is his limit be around lifting a 100,000 tons, a little more if he pushes it, but it drains him.
Unlimited. You will never know his power levels because he cares so much and wouldn’t hurt a fly. I think you need Superman to be so powerful that the government would be afraid of an Injustice situation. Even the Lanterns, Wonder Woman, and of course Batman would be concerned.

My definitive Superman has always been the DCAU adaptation, so preferably a power scale along those lines. I enjoyed My Adventures With Superman too although, if I am remembering correctly, Superman seemed significantly depowered in that show.

I like him pretty powerful in terms of his usual ability level, but I'm also an angst fan, so that needs to be counter balanced with green k (I.e. Metallo) or villains that effect his power level (I.e. Parasite). Or villains you can't use strength to fight.

It'd be pretty dull to watch him go toe to toe with a villain and never seem phased by any of the blows. Or to really easily stop disasters with no visible effort.

As a big fan of silver age Superman, I've always erred to the side of making him really powerful.
He's the daddy of all superheroes. Let's push the envelope.

People say it will make him less relatable, or harder to write for. So? If he can lift 5000 tons, he's already not entirely relatable to the average man or woman - let's make it 50,000 tons instead. Or even 500,000 tons and have some wow factor. And as for the writers, put their imagination to work and earn their money and find other ways to make him more relatable.

A detuned Superman does little for me. We have plenty of b-list and c-list superheroes already filling that brief - this guy should be top tier.

Lois & Clark does a great job of showing that it is possible to have a Superman we can be in tune with - a guy with a family, friends, a farm, real world concerns like anyone else - but who can also have the power to shatter reality with a punch like he did in S2 Ep15

Kinda see why this got cancelled. It was probably a money hole to pay for the effects.

My preference for Superman is full on silver age Godhood but it really depends on the kind of stories they want to tell. If you go that powerful you need to be telling extremely fantastical stories about being that powerful and what it means, if you’re doing more conventional stuff your John Byrne/DCAU power level is probably good.

Planet moving?
Fleischer?

I was just reading out of curiosity & apparently the International Space Station weighs around 450,000 tons. So hypothetically if it ever fell out of orbit, your Superman couldn't stop it..

giphy.gif

:D

Only joking, but in terms of overall strength, planet moving is a bit much for my tastes. In the highly unlikely scenario that Gunn/Corenswet's Superman has to physically move an entire planet or the equivalent, it should be like a 1 rep max, taking an incredible amount of exertion. I shouldn't tempt fate though as Reeve's Superman did move the entire moon like it was nothing..

His invulnerability, in regards to Earthbound sort of attacks, I'd try to keep it to a level that while it wouldn't necessarily kill him, military sort of calibre equipment could potentially slow him down or in some cases knock the wind out of him.
Although him being too invulnerable, hasn't really been a problem in any live action or animated Superman that I can think off.

This is just me, but I'd make him where bullets are nothing.
Tank shells would slightly tickle him.
Missiles would "slightly" bruise, but do no real harm. And it would take several to do any real bruising.
Nothing short of a nuke could stop him, And even then, his healing factor would be so fast, that any damage heals almost as fast as it happens.

I was just reading out of curiosity & apparently the International Space Station weighs around 450,000 tons. So hypothetically if it ever fell out of orbit, your Superman couldn't stop it..

giphy.gif

:D

Only joking, but in terms of overall strength, planet moving is a bit much for my tastes. In the highly unlikely scenario that Gunn/Corenswet's Superman has to physically move an entire planet or the equivalent, it should be like a 1 rep max, taking an incredible amount of exertion. I shouldn't tempt fate though as Reeve's Superman did move the entire moon like it was nothing..

His invulnerability, in regards to Earthbound sort of attacks, I'd try to keep it to a level that while it wouldn't necessarily kill him, military sort of calibre equipment could potentially slow him down or in some cases knock the wind out of him.
Although him being too invulnerable, hasn't really been a problem in any live action or animated Superman that I can think off.
Lol. I hate to be "that guy", but it only weighs about 460 tons. Around 920,000 lbs.

The coolest thing about Superman as a character, is that with all his powers, he could rule the Earth as a tyrant if he chose to. But because he loves humanity, he protects rather than abuses them.

The coolest thing about Superman as a character, is that with all his powers, he could rule the Earth as a tyrant if he chose to. But because he loves humanity, he protects rather than abuses them.
Red Son is a good alternative/what if, about him landing in a different place and being raised by different people.

So yeah, the Kent's are pretty much responsible for him being who he is.

Red Son is a good alternative/what if, about him landing in a different place and being raised by different people.

So yeah, the Kent's are pretty much responsible for him being who he is.
I haven't read the actual "Red Son" book, but I did check out the synopsis on Wikipedia...and it struck me as very odd. Superman being raised and fighting for the Commies, huh? I'm surprised the heads at DC went along with it.

I haven't read the actual "Red Son" book, but I did check out the synopsis on Wikipedia...and it struck me as very odd. Superman being raised and fighting for the Commies, huh? I'm surprised the heads at DC went along with it.
The animated film is pretty good as well, but like all films, it leaves parts of the book out.

Did you just say “the Commies?” What is this? 1963? lol.
;)

In all seriousness, I’m not a fan of Red Son, but it’s definitely worth the read. It’s a much deeper story than that synopsis you give. I just don’t like it as a Superman story. But it’s far less controversial than a lot of DC stories in continuity.

Last edited:
I think it's a perfect example of what would happen if Kal had landed in a different place and was raised by different parents/government.

Clark, in all seriousness, could literally be anything he wanted to be, ie, the most famous athlete in the world, president, or the world's wealthiest man, etc, but thanks to the Kents, he chose to protect humanity and be humble.

Personally I think Clarks attitude towards life should be part nature and nurture, to me part of Supes "power" is a large amount of empathy and sympathy for life. I think Supes would be a good person with or without the Kent's raising him but I think they are a large factor of showing him about how to fit into the world of humans and knowing his limitations of success and failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"