"Susan's Garden": The Invisible Woman Threads Merged

Lightning Strykez!

Former Mod On Pension Pay
Reaction score
invisiblegirl01.gif

"Susan's Garden": The Discussion Thread For The Invisible Woman

Welcome to the first official thread dedicated solely to Susan Storm Richards--the Invisible Woman of The Fantastic Four. Here, I would like to invite my awesome fellow Forum Members to discuss all things Invisible, in relation to Susan Storm (hint, hint): Her roles in film, TV, and in print. Let's talk about the live action actresses that have embodied this character over the years, the potential impact Susan Storm could have on women of the world when 2005 rolls around and her relationships with Reed, Ben, and Johnny. Also feel free to post your favorite pictures of this fantastic First Lady Of Marvel.

BIOGRAPHICAL DATA
Codename:The Invisible Girl
Sex:Female
Race:Human
Identity: Publicly known
Legal Status:Citizen of the United States with no criminal record
Other Aliases:None
Place of Birth:Glenville, Long Island, New York
Marital Status:Married
Known Relatives:Franklin Storm - father; Mary Storm - mother; Jonathan Storm (Human Torch II) - brother; Reed Richards (Mr. Fantastic) - husband; Franklin Richards - son; Nathaniel Richards - father-in-law
Current Group Membership:The Fantastic Four
Former Group Membership:None
Base of Operations:The Baxter Building

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION

Height:5' 6"
Weight:120 lbs
Eyes:Blue
Hair:Blond
Other Distinguishing Features:None
Strength Level:
The Invisible Girl possesses the normal human strength of a woman of her age, height, and build who engages in regular exercise.

Known Superhuman Powers:The Invisible Girl possesses the psionic ability to manipulate ambient cosmic energy for the following effects. Can mentally bend light around herself without distortion to render herself invisible. Somehow, she enables light to penetrate her eyes so she can see while invisible.
Her body cells produce an unknown form of energy that she can mentally project around other persons or objects to render them invisible. Can use this energy to render visible persons and objects rendered invisible by other means, and energy that is normally invisible.
Her brain cells produce psionic force that she can project in relatively simple forms (rectangular planes, globes, cylinders, cones, domes, etc). Can mentally project protective force fields that are highly resistant to concussive force. Can travel through the air by projecting columns of psionic force beneath her.
Other Abilities:The Invisible Girl is a fair hand-to-hand combatant

*Note: Thanks to my buddy A1ant for the inspiration.

To kick things off I'd like to make this point: Some people (including myself at one time) feel that Jessica Alba, although drop-dead gorgeous, is "too sexy" or exotic to play the role of Susan Storm. However, I think the casting choice is dead on, as shown in this picture comparisons I developed. Jessica possesses many of the same features--the full lips, the doe-eyes and the general facial structure--that artists have depicted for Susan in recent years.
SusanComp.jpg

The same can be said for the characteristics Jessica shares with actor Chris Evans ("Johnny Storm").
JessieChris.jpg

Also, Susan's look has evolved many, many times over the years. At first, she was very modest, and simple--in the 60's. But as time has gone on, she's transcended that "damsel-in-distress" personna into one of Marvel's most striking beauties. The following is a gallery showcasing the various transformations Susan Storm Richards has undergone.

InvisibleWoman.jpg

Storm%20Susan_1.jpg

may27intlposter1.jpg

ig.gif

Invisible_Woman.jpg

s_ff004b.jpg

f4_031.jpg
Like I posted on the Re: My First Official Thread (All pics are welcome) thread yesterday:​
Damn, anyone who says that she doesn't resemble Sue has GOTTA look twice at those old original Silver Age comics.!​
SHE LOOKS EERILY LIKE CLASSIC SUE STORM< IT'S ALMOST SCARY!​

The Invisible Woman Of Yesterday: Rebecca Staab (1994 "The Fantastic Four")
rollg5.jpg
foto01.jpg
ff1.jpg

The Invisible woman Of Today: Jessica Alba (2005 "Fantastic Four)
f4_033.jpg
23424301.jpg

1.jpg

TheInvisibleWoman.jpg

So for all those who are whining "But they got it right with the other chick from 1994", as you can see, nothing has been lost with the new millenium's version of The Invisible Woman. Just better.

In France, her name is Jane Storm-Richards......yeah i know it is weird.... but there is worse.... Dr Doom is called Dr Fatalis

bweurk said:
In France, her name is Jane Storm-Richards......yeah i know it is weird.... but there is worse.... Dr Doom is called Dr Fatalis
:p What's the F4 called? Le quarte fantasique?

flight26 said:
:p What's the F4 called? Le quarte fantasique?

Les quatre fantastiques (the exact translation of fantastic four)

and few years ago, Wolverine was still called Serval....

but there is a reason...... the exact french translation of Wolverine is Glouton (Glutton).... would you find cool a Superhero called Glutton?

On topic: Do you guys think it's pivotal that Jessica portrays a "maternal" side in this origin film? Part of me wants to see that, but part of me also feels that that is a quality she could develop more in the sequel, especially if Franklin is coming.

Don't get me wrong--I don't want to see The Jessica "Kick-ash Girl" for the whole film, but some are caught up in this "She doesn't look 'motherly' enough." And I'm like, "Motherly' for WHO? She's more of a guardian of the group in the beginning than a mother figure. The "motherly" deal comes into play after she becomes Susan Richards--inspired by the roles of being a wife and motherhood.

I don't think it's a critical quality for this film.

bweurk said:
but there is a reason...... the exact french translation of Wolverine is Glouton (Glutton).... would you find cool a Superhero called Glutton?
That's not fair......no one here's changing FANTOMAS' name....

LightninStrikez said:
On topic: Do you guys think it's pivotal that Jessica portrays a "maternal" side in this origin film? Part of me wants to see that, but part of me also feels that that is a quality she could develop more in the sequel, especially if Franklin is coming.

Don't get me wrong--I don't want to see The Jessica "Kick-ash Girl" for the whole film, but some are caught up in this "She doesn't look 'motherly' enough." And I'm like, "Motherly' for WHO? She's more of a guardian of the group in the beginning than a mother figure. The "motherly" deal comes into play after she becomes Susan Richards--inspired by the roles of being a wife and motherhood.

I don't think it's a critical quality for this film.
Funny, I completely think she does has a motherly/ sisterly vibe to her. I mean, her facial expressions are perfect for this.

Susan's Story

Susan Storm Richards
(known aliases include: Invisible Girl, Malice, Susan Benjamin)
Susan Storm is the eldest of the two children of Dr. Franklin and Mary Storm. She was born in Glenville, New York and was raised like most children, with the exception of one thing: her father was jailed for performing illegal medical procedures. When she was 12, she met Reed Richards (then 23) at her aunt's bording house. She was quite infatuated and tried to keep tabs on Reed for years to come.

As Susan grew older, she became interested in acting and got a few small television roles. Upon learning that Reed was moving to California, she left to pursue both of her dreams: Reed Richards and a career in Hollywood. She quickly captured Reed's heart and to pledge her faith in him, she offered her and her younger brother, Johnny, as human guinea pigs for his experimental rocket ship.

Sue was the first to find her super powers after the rocket crashed just outside of Central City, California. Initially, Sue could only become invisible at will; but over the years she gained the strength to render other objects invisible as well as create invisible force fields. Reed and his father, Nathaniel, have theorized the her powers stem from Hyperspace, giving her virtually a limitless supply of energy.
Shortly after the creation of the Fantastic Four, Susan designed their first uniforms. And not long afterwards she married Reed Richards and bore him a son, Franklin. Her first pregnancy was filled with complications, and she would have died if the remaining members of the FF borrow Annihilus' Cosmic Control Rod to save her life. Although her second pregnancy was not as life-threatening, their second child was believed to be still-born. This child, in reality, was transported into the future where she was born under unusual complications.

After Reed's apparent death, Sue took up leadership of the Fantastic Four. She quickly became more than a power to be reckoned with. After Reed's return however, she had been somewhat reluctant to give up her status of authority. Since her son was captured by Onslaught, and his powers severely depleted by creating and maintaining the Franklinverse, Susan seems to be returning to a more motherly role, hoping to raise her children in a more stable environment.

So, did Alba use makeup to lighten her face for this role, or what?

"Malice"--WHAT IS IT???
by Jeanne Burch
What is this thing? The entity known as Malice has possessed the bodies of Alison Blaire (the Dazzler), Wolverine, Rogue, Ororo (Storm), Lorna Dane (Polaris), Beatrice Conners, Alex Summers (Havok), and Sue Richards (the Invisible Woman). The Sue Richards' version of Malice appears to be a psychological manifestation of Sue's own dark side left over from the Infinity Wars; in any case, it is not the mutant of the same name that dogs the X-Folks.
First appearance: Well, something named Malice showed up in Jungle Action 8.
Died in: The mutant Malice was caught with nowhere to go in X-Factor 105. The alternate personality Malice...well, those alternate personalities never really die, do they?

Team affiliation: When in league with Mister Sinister, Malice was partial to Polaris of X-Factor (Uncanny X-Men 221-222) although left on her own she tried to destroy Polaris rather than be permanently tied to her (X-Factor 102-105). Malice was the field leader for Sinister's Marauders during the Mutant Massacre. The Invisible Woman attempted to integrate Malice into her own personality (Fantastic Four 368), which made her very cranky for a considerable period of time.
Powers: Malice is a strongly empathic entity with no known corporeal form. She specializes in disrupting the emotional center of the brain, emphasizing the emotions at the expense of rational thought. (This, incidentally, works for both versions of Malice...)

Sardaukar said:
So, did Alba use makeup to lighten her face for this role, or what?

:rolleyes:

Yep. And she applied a thin layer of make-up to her chest, arms and legs too. And Michael Jackson is her stylist.

f4_033.jpg

f40011ln.jpg
fmcn0227ty.jpg
fmcn0242uc.jpg
fmcn0267bb.jpg

Jessica's BIO...
Born: 28 April 1981, Pomona, California, USA (age 23)
Birth Name: Jessica Marie Alba
Height: 5' 7" (1.70 m)
Nickname: Sky Angel
Also Known As: Jessica Alba / Jessica Marie Alba

Filmography:
1994Camp Nowhere
1995Venus Rising (als Eve)
1996Too Soon For Jeff (als Christy)
1998P.U.N.K.S.
1999Never Been Kissed
1999Idle Hands
1999Paranoid
2001The Sleeping Dictionary
2003Honey
2005Into the Blue
2005Sin City
2005Fantastic Four
2006Sonic
200?Surprise Party
200?Beautiful Killer
200?Fathom
200?The Wedding

TV Series
1994The Secret World of Alex Mack
1995 - 1997Flipper
1996Chicago Hope
1997Brooklyn South
1998Love Boat: The Next Wave
1998Beverly Hills, 90210
2000 - 2002Dark Angel
2003MAD TV2003
Rock Me Baby
2004Entourage

Awards:
Nominated for Golden Globe. Another 5 wins & 10 nominations
ALMA Awards
[size=-1]2002[/size]
• [size=-1]Nominated, ALMA Award[/size][size=-1]Outstanding Actress in a Television Series for James Cameron's Dark Angel (2000)
[/size]
• [size=-1]Won, Special Achievement Award[/size][size=-1]Breakthrough Actress of the Year
[/size]• [size=-1]Nominated, ALMA Award[/size][size=-1]Outstanding Actress in a New Television Series for James Cameron's Dark Angel (2000)[/size]
Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films, USA
[size=-1]2002[/size]
• [size=-1]Nominated, Saturn Award[/size][size=-1]Best Actress in a Television Series for James Cameron's Dark Angel (2000)
[/size]
• [size=-1]Won, Saturn Award[/size][size=-1]Best Actress on Television for James Cameron's Dark Angel (2000)[/size]
DVD Exclusive Awards
[size=-1]2003[/size]
• [size=-1]Won, DVDX Award[/size][size=-1]Best Actress in a DVD Premiere Movie for The Sleeping Dictionary (2003)[/size]
Golden Globes, USA
[size=-1]2001[/size]
• [size=-1]Nominated, Golden Globe[/size][size=-1]Best Performance by an Actress in a TV-Series - Drama for James Cameron's Dark Angel (2000)[/size]
TV Guide Awards
[size=-1]2001[/size]
• [size=-1]Won, TV Guide Award[/size][size=-1]Breakout Star of the Year for James Cameron's Dark Angel (2000)
[/size]• [size=-1]Nominated, TV Guide Award[/size][size=-1]Actress of the Year in a New Series for James Cameron's Dark Angel (2000)[/size]
Teen Choice Awards
• [size=-1]Nominated, Teen Choice Award[/size][size=-1]Choice Breakout Movie Star - Female for Honey (2003)
[/size]• [size=-1]Nominated, Teen Choice Award[/size][size=-1]Choice Movie Actress - Drama/Action Adventure for Honey (2003)
[/size]• [size=-1]Nominated, Teen Choice Award[/size][size=-1]Choice Movie Chemistry for Honey (2003)
Shared With:
Mekhi Phifer
[/size]• [size=-1]Nominated, Teen Choice Award[/size][size=-1]Choice Movie Liplock for Honey (2003)
Shared With:
Mekhi Phifer
2001[/size]
• [size=-1]Won, Teen Choice Award[/size][size=-1]TV - Choice Actress for James Cameron's Dark Angel (2000)[/size]
Young Artist Awards
[size=-1]2001[/size]
• [size=-1]Nominated, Young Artist Award[/size][size=-1]Best Performance in a TV Drama Series - Leading Young Actress for James Cameron's Dark Angel (2000)[/size]
YoungStar Awards
[size=-1]1998[/size]
• [size=-1]Nominated, YoungStar Award[/size][size=-1]Best Performance by a Young Actress in a Daytime TV Program for The New Adventures of Flipper (1995)
[/size]
Credited Years: 1994 - 2006

Biography
Born in Pomona, CA on April 28, 1981, Jessica and her family moved to Biloxi, Mississippi when she was an infant. Three years later, her Air Force father brought the family back to CA, then to Del Rio, Texas, before finally settling in Southern California when Jessica was nine. In love with the idea of becoming an actress from the age of five, Jessica was 12 before she took her first acting class. Nine months later, she was signed by an agent. A gifted young actress, Jessica has already played a variety of roles ranging from light comedy to gritty drama since beginning her career. She made her feature film debut in 1993 in Hollywood Pictures comedy Camp Nowhere. Originally hired for two weeks, she got her break when an actress in a principal role suddenly dropped out. Jessica cheerfully admits it wasn't her prodigious talent or charm that inspired the director to tap her to take over the part. It was her hair, which matched the original performer's. The two week job stretched to two months, and Jessica ended the film with an impressive first credit.

Real Life Quotes
  • "I'm good at being sarcastic with guys. They don't want the quiet, prissy little things."
  • "I like Spongebob Squarepants. He's goofy, like me."
  • Best advice mother has given to her: "Speak your mind. That's a good one. Unfortunately, I speak my mind a little too often."
  • "I don't like to schmooze, and I don't like to talk to people I don't know. I'm not going to go up and talk to them just because they're someone who makes films. If they want me to be in their movie, they're going to call my agents and ask for a meeting. They're not going to care if they saw me at a party and offered me their number. That's bullsh**."
  • Us Weekly quotes Jessica Alba talking about her character in 'Sin City': "It was originally drawn naked. But I couldn't really imagine my father seeing me butt-naked."
  • Asked what's on her Tivo by Us Weekly, Jessica Alba responded, "The Food Network. I think I'm a chef, but I'm not!"
Trivia
  • Sister of Joshua Alba
  • Was #1 on Maxim's Hot 100 Babe List. [2001]
  • Her mother has a French-Danish heritage, while her father descends from Mexican- Indian and Spanish lineage
  • Was voted the fifth Sexiest Female Star for 2002 in a Hollywood.com poll.
  • Vote #4 in the Top 10 Sci-Fi Babes in 2002 for her role as Max in Dark Angel
  • [size=-1]Loves to play golf.[/size]
  • Trained in martial arts and gymnastics for 11 months prior to the start of the filming of Dark Angel.
  • Jessica Alba narrowly avoided death as a safety harness began twisting uncontrollably around her body during shooting on the Dark Angel set. Alba admits, "It was so scary. It was literally squeezing me to death." Jessica's screams were drowned out by a fan blowing air on her during the scene.
  • [size=-1]Trained in dance and Tae Bo three months prior to the start of scheduled filming on her new film, Honey. [July 2002][/size]
  • [size=-1]Voted in at #6 in FHM's Sexiest Girls of 2002 poll, American edition. [June 2002][/size]
  • [size=-1]Graduated high school at age 16.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Has a tatoo of a daisy with a ladybug on it on the back of her neck.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Her second cousin is skateboarding legend Steve "Salba" Alba.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Was "Punk'd" on the Ashton Kutcher-hosted MTV show in 2003. Dax Shepard showed up fully nude at a clothing store Jessica was patronizing, following Miss Alba around the store and exposing his "business" to the blushing actress as she tried to shop for clothes. The soon-to-be Mrs. Michael Weatherly was a good sport after being informed it was all a practical joke, taped for the short-lived MTV show.[/size]
    [size=-1]Though it is common for actresses and female pop stars to strip down to various states of undress for magazine layouts and movie/TV scenes, she has stated that she is a very modest girl and would never do a nude scene or pose topless in a magazine. The future Jessica Marie Weatherly has posed for men's magazines fully dressed, however, they are not engaged anymore.[/size]
  • [size=-1]Ranked #12 in Stuff magazine's "102 Sexiest Women in the World" (2002).[/size]
  • The character 'Max Guevara' Jessica's character on Dark Angel was ranked #17 in TV Guide's list of the "25 Greatest Sci-Fi Legends" (1 August 2004 issue).

It's just a question. :rolleyes:

Her face does seem lighter to me in the FF previews than it does normally. Maybe it's just the lighting, or maybe not, I dunno...

LightninStrikez said:
:rolleyes:

Yep. And she applied a thin layer of make-up to her chest, arms and legs too. And Michael Jackson is her stylist.

f4_033.jpg

LightninStrikez said:
"Malice"--WHAT IS IT???
by Jeanne Burch
What is this thing? The entity known as Malice has possessed the bodies of Alison Blaire (the Dazzler), Wolverine, Rogue, Ororo (Storm), Lorna Dane (Polaris), Beatrice Conners, Alex Summers (Havok), and Sue Richards (the Invisible Woman). The Sue Richards' version of Malice appears to be a psychological manifestation of Sue's own dark side left over from the Infinity Wars; in any case, it is not the mutant of the same name that dogs the X-Folks.
First appearance: Well, something named Malice showed up in Jungle Action 8.
Died in: The mutant Malice was caught with nowhere to go in X-Factor 105. The alternate personality Malice...well, those alternate personalities never really die, do they?

Team affiliation: When in league with Mister Sinister, Malice was partial to Polaris of X-Factor (Uncanny X-Men 221-222) although left on her own she tried to destroy Polaris rather than be permanently tied to her (X-Factor 102-105). Malice was the field leader for Sinister's Marauders during the Mutant Massacre. The Invisible Woman attempted to integrate Malice into her own personality (Fantastic Four 368), which made her very cranky for a considerable period of time.
Powers: Malice is a strongly empathic entity with no known corporeal form. She specializes in disrupting the emotional center of the brain, emphasizing the emotions at the expense of rational thought. (This, incidentally, works for both versions of Malice...)
Actually "Malice" is a form of PMS....:)

I'm sorry...you have started a really cool thread here...and I've just derailed it...me of all people...I'm so ashamed...

I blame it on "Malice";)

Sardaukar said:
It's just a question. :rolleyes:

Her face does seem lighter to me in the FF previews than it does normally. Maybe it's just the lighting, or maybe not, I dunno...

The girl just tans well that's all. ;) She does have a strong European background, so I'm sure those genes impact her complexion. However, the other ethnicity running in her blood obviously allows her to tan well too. So she's got the best of both worlds, no big deal. The point is, she has been able to tone her body up and be groomed in a way to portray this role effectively. And that's an "actress" for ya.

flight26 said:
That's not fair......no one here's changing FANTOMAS' name....

A french director has made a movie in USA (a big crap), this movie is "Just visiting" with Jean Reno.... The name of the director is Jean marie Poiré... but the studio execs decided Poiré was too difficult to say for American people, so they changed it into Jean Marie Gaubert........ Who is not fair???

albafan said:
From what I've been told no. The trend these days in Hollywood is to use bronzers...I have a feeling alot of the tan we saw on Jessica early on was from Bronzers...she is very aware of sun damage...so probably there was very little lightener used if any...also in Dark Angel (which was filmed in Vancouver)...by the 3rd episode she had lost much of the tan she started out with...there just isn't alot of sunlight in Vancouver...and from friends that live there...they have had a particularly rainy fall this year.

You know what? Hollywood isn't the only that uses those things---they've become more mainstream. My boss uses them. She's white as a sheet of Xerox paper without it. But when she comes out--she's practically as dark as I am--albeit looks rather otherworldly on her. But...whatever. I never understood why white people want to tan their skin darker, especially with all the risks out there from skin cancer and sun damage. I mean, some tan naturally well, but some try sooooo hard, to the point of wrinkling their skin. Then 20-something year olds start looking like 50.

But my father is white, and he jokingly claims he does it to keep up with my mom. LOL

And Rogue is called Malicia
The Green Gobelin= Le bouffon vert (bouffon means jester)
Marvel Girl= Strange Girl (never understood why replacing an english name by another english name)
Nightcrawler=Diablo
etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"