The Dark Knight TDK Casting Sides

It's been a long time since this thread has been active. So much has changed since we first stumbled across these sides.

The sides were not 100% real:

BANK MANAGER - You have any idea who you're stealing from? You and your friends are dead.

The thug isn't bothered

BANK MANAGER (Cont'd) - You idiot. What makes you think the guy who hired you isn't going to kill you, too?

The Thug STOPS. Crouches over him. In the distance: SIRENS.

GENTLE VOICE - Call it a hunch.

The man PULLS off his MASK. The Bank Manager GASPS, horrified at the face staring back at him.

GENTLE VOICE (Cont'd) - It's rude to stare.

But the outline is definitely there.

Like I was saying in another thread, I think they are from an earlier draft of the script, which accounts for the changes.

It's fun skimming through the first four or five pages in this thread...

The bank manager scene as it appears in the sides is far superior to the altered version in the prologue. The original dialogue is much less hackneyed, and seems much more spontaneous. The exchange in the prologue sees The Joker respond to the bank manager's cliched monologue with a catchprase that is obviously designed for its quotability. It recalls some of the worst Goyerisms of Batman Begins, in my opinion.

Regwec I disagree. I think that the original content (the exchange) is far more cliche than in the prologue. Besides the prologue response the Joker gives makes his character even more mysterious to the audience.

It's been a long time since this thread has been active. So much has changed since we first stumbled across these sides.

The sides were not 100% real:

But the outline is definitely there.
the bank managers lines are pretty spot on...but wouldnt you think they would INTENTIONALLY change Jokers lines...in case of a leak...like what happened? i mean they called him the gentle voice for cryin out loud

IMO:grin:

Regwec I disagree. I think that the original content (the exchange) is far more cliche than in the prologue. Besides the prologue response the Joker gives makes his character even more mysterious to the audience.
The Joker's response in the prologue can't possibly make him more mysterious- he gives away something of his background, whilst in the original, he gives away nothing at all.

The Joker's response in the prologue can't possibly make him more mysterious- he gives away something of his background, whilst in the original, he gives away nothing at all.

The suggestion of a tragic back story for the Joker is far more interesting than a guy in facepaint saying "it's rude to stare". It's an oblique nod to the Killing Joke, and the line gives Ledger space to play with that final word "stranger". I love it.

^ I begun typing out a post to that effect but then i realised hey it's regwec, he doesn't care

I would have loved to see Heath incant "It's rude to stare."

i wonder if the line made its way into a different scene. It's very all-purpose. maybe they even cribbed it from another scene because they didn;t want the sides to be too revealing (the "stranger" line could imply that TDK was an origin movie, if we knew it back when the sides appeared)

i wonder if the line made its way into a different scene. It's very all-purpose. maybe they even cribbed it from another scene because they didn;t want the sides to be too revealing (the "stranger" line could imply that TDK was an origin movie, if we knew it back when the sides appeared)

It's possible. I really love the line.

The intonation on 'stranger', as well as the ending smirk, sold that the hell out of that line. I wouldn't mind the 'stare' line being incorporated elsewhere. It's very befitting of the character.

The suggestion of a tragic back story for the Joker is far more interesting than a guy in facepaint saying "it's rude to stare".
Do we need The Joker to tell us he has had a troubling past? The guy is robbing bank, handing live grenades to civilians, murdering his colleagues, and wearing clown makeup, and has disfiguring facial scars. I know audiences are generally considered to be pretty stupid, but I doubt many people would imagine that the fellow was pulling this heist between a day in his cushy and highly paid job before going home to his adoring wife and kids.

It's an oblique nod to the Killing Joke,
No, it's just a statement that there is a reason that The Joker is where he is. The Killing Joke is not referenced at all, unless you take it as the only possible background for the character.

and the line gives Ledger space to play with that final word "stranger". I love it.
Yeah, it's a joke that's every bit as good as one of Mr Freeze's from Batman and Robin.

Yeah, it's a joke that's every bit as good as one of Mr Freeze's from Batman and Robin.

That's going pretty far.

I think there is quite a cleverness to it. In that one sentence alone, Jokers origin is revealed to everyone. Everyone gets to see the Joker origin they want to see. That very vague sentence paints a different picture for everyone and they can all be satisfied.

Do we need The Joker to tell us he has had a troubling past? The guy is robbing bank, handing live grenades to civilians, murdering his colleagues, and wearing clown makeup, and has disfiguring facial scars. I know audiences are generally considered to be pretty stupid, but I doubt many people would imagine that the fellow was pulling this heist between a day in his cushy and highly paid job before going home to his adoring wife and kids

Let's NOT show Bruce Wayne dealing with the pyschological burden of his actions. I mean, it's obvious he'd have some issues right? We don't need to cover that. It's not even worth one line of dialogue .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"