• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Teleprompter vs Bush-isms?

All presidents use teleprompters! Since television became integral to politics, they have used them! In most situation, Bush did it, Clinton did it, Carter did it. Hell, all those fools on the news networks who give him crap for "always using a teleprompter", use them. They want to make Obama look stupid with this attack, which I think is pretty hard. I would prefer my President use a teleprompter, than further continuing the belief that America is full of a bunch of dumb ****s by making countless gaffes, grammatically or otherwise....though it gets harder to argue against that everyday.

None have used them as much as Obama has these first 100 days.....but then no other President has given as many speeches in the first 100 days as he has either......

Also, I've seen very few use teleprompters at news conferences....he does.

You have to admit though, when one of the biggist criticisms of Obama is that he uses a teleprompter, he's in pretty good shape.

He's pretty prepared and open to what he's talking about. Sure, as Kel said, there could be room for 25 questions as opposed to 13 but he does take care in his replies about sensitive issues -- most of the time.

If anything, Bush was secretive and unprepared while Obama is prepared and open. Some of the criticisms levied at Obama are valid, but when people complain that he won't give an immediate answer to a pressing issue and he wants to think it over completely before answering -- that could be viewed as either conscientous or a sign that he can't make quick decisions.

None have used them as much as Obama has these first 100 days.....but then no other President has given as many speeches in the first 100 days as he has either......

Also, I've seen very few use teleprompters at news conferences....he does.

I think its ridiculous that this is even an issue. So he uses a teleprompter, whats the big deal?

He's pretty prepared and open to what he's talking about. Sure, as Kel said, there could be room for 25 questions as opposed to 13 but he does take care in his replies about sensitive issues -- most of the time.

If anything, Bush was secretive and unprepared while Obama is prepared and open. Some of the criticisms levied at Obama are valid, but when people complain that he won't give an immediate answer to a pressing issue and he wants to think it over completely before answering -- that could be viewed as either conscientous or a sign that he can't make quick decisions.

Some might view it as that. But I think most of the criticism is based on a petty vengence because everybody made fun of Bush's speaking abilities.

I think Mr. Gibbs could use a teleprompter:o

I have really haven't ever seen a good Press Secretary.

I think Dana Perino was her name...she was good.

Perino was excellent, and she has been an excellent analyst in interviews as well. Very poised, intelligent woman.

I think its ridiculous that this is even an issue. So he uses a teleprompter, whats the big deal?

The 'big deal' is that Bush looked like such like a moron and became such a joke around the world, including other world leaders, that Republicans think "it's only fair" that Obama should make himself look like a moronic joke as well.

I know, it's stupid-logic, but its really the heart of the issue. It really burns them up that people see Obama speaking and feel he is smart and knowledgeable when their guy got criticized, the old "hypocrisy point that isn't actually a point, but i pretend it is because i'm outraged by it~!!!!"

I think the teleprompter is a dead fish argument.
All Presidents use them.

Now I think Obama uses it a tad more, ESPECIALLY on the road, where other Presidents didnt really use it.

I think now, its been brought so far in the forefront, he needs to stop using it as much to shut people up

I don't see "using" the teleprompter as a problem. What I do see as a problem is the huge difference between his speeches (using the teleprompter) and his ability to think on his feet (without the teleprompter) There is an enormous difference between the 2.

I think the reason some do have a problem with the teleprompter is because he has been tauted as a "great orator" comparing him to the likes of Lincoln, Kennedy and Reagan....and I'm sorry, but I do not believe he can be put in that list, AT THIS TIME, and until I see him in an open forum without the teleprompter think on his feet ast he above mentioned have been proven historically to do in all kinds of situations.....I don't think he should be compared.

So is the problem for me the teleprompter? No.....it has been said by others and myself, all use them. But, I do not believe he should be put up on a pedistal of grand oration, when IMO it is not deserved as of yet.

I think the reason some do have a problem with the teleprompter is because he has been tauted as a "great orator" comparing him to the likes of Lincoln, Kennedy and Reagan....and I'm sorry, but I do not believe he can be put in that list, AT THIS TIME, and until I see him in an open forum without the teleprompter think on his feet ast he above mentioned have been proven historically to do in all kinds of situations.....I don't think he should be compared.

You have a point there. Obama should take the plunge and just write out (or type out) his speeches, and think more on his feet by preparing himself for all sorts of questions reporters are gonna ask him about new policies and such. It's nice to see a president who can intelligently answer questions, but it takes a while for him to come up with an answer.

If he makes a big error in these unrehearsed and unprepared Q&As, conservatives are gonna jump all over him for being a hypocrite and anger his supporters.

President_Reagan_gives_the_State_of.jpg

bush-with-dual-teleprompters-14791-.jpg

T041653A.jpg

A0627-8A.jpg

No one has a problem with Obama using a teleprompter.

People have a problem with how dependent Obama is of the teleprompter.

Every single one of those examples are SPEECHES....of course a teleprompter is used for a speech, that is a duh.

But to use one before every press conference, to say 5 to 10 minutes of the same stuff you have said every other time, and during your entire campaign.....I would think you could have it memorized by now. To have it at a Town Hall meeting is ridiculous as well. SPEAK OFF THE CUFF for the introduction FOR ONCE, I don't care if we hear uuhhh, uuuhhh......I respect the fact that he thinks before he speaks. I wish Joe would take some lessons.

And this problematic because...?

As long as he's doing a good job as the president who cares.

It has been stated, SEVERAL TIMES, here that it really isn't the problem, but I do not think he should be compared to orators such as Lincoln, Kennedy and Reagan. That is what my point has been from the first post that I wrote. Let him use a teleprompter EVERY WHERE HE GOES, but do not compare him to these men, because he does not compare IMO.

1. It gives the impression that he (and his administration) is obsessed with form. You could argue that he places form over substance--that the primary focus of his public presence is image over action.

2. It questions whether the words that come out of his mouth actually represent what he truly thinks or believes . . . or what he has been told to think or believe by his advisers, etc.

3. It questions whether he understands what he's talking about. After all, if a guy pretty much only gives prepared speeches or prepared answers, how much can you really infer about his intellect or knowledge outside of his ability to read a pre-prepared statement? There's a reason almost all testing in school is closed-book . . .

Now, does any of this mean that Pres. Obama is unintelligent or lacking knowledge? No, it doesn't. I think he's quite intelligent. But, it can give that impression to anyone willing to approach his Presidency with a skeptical or critical eye.

1. It gives the impression that he (and his administration) is obsessed with form. You could argue that he places form over substance--that the primary focus of his public presence is image over action.
That's a huge leap. I'd not say that inaction is a trait of this administration. Isn't that what conservatives are complaining about? Too much government intervention?

Handsome Rob said:
2. It questions whether the words that come out of his mouth actually represent what he truly thinks or believes . . . or what he has been told to think or believe by his advisers, etc.
So he couldn't spout something he'd been told to spout from memory? The guy uses a teleprompter because he has trouble organizing his thoughts on a huge number of topics simultaneously. He's human. He can barely convey his OWN ideas without a teleprompter.

Handsome Rob said:
3. It questions whether he understands what he's talking about. After all, if a guy pretty much only gives prepared speeches or prepared answers, how much can you really infer about his intellect or knowledge outside of his ability to read a pre-prepared statement? There's a reason almost all testing in school is closed-book . . .
This isn't a counterpoint, just a comment: Bush was much the same way. I never really thought about that logic. With respect to your argument here, I've got nothing.

Handsome Rob said:
Now, does any of this mean that Pres. Obama is unintelligent or lacking knowledge? No, it doesn't. I think he's quite intelligent. But, it can give that impression to anyone willing to approach his Presidency with a skeptical or critical eye.
:up:

Suddenly, this seems much more realistic to debate than wheter or not Obama is a gay for eating a cheesburger with mustard.

Which I heard suggested last week. Sigh...really??

It was "brown mustard, or spicy mustard". Get it right, geesh.:cwink:

Suddenly, this seems much more realistic to debate than wheter or not Obama is a gay for eating a cheesburger with mustard.

Which I heard suggested last week. Sigh...really??

I like it it is "Obama is a gay" and not "Obama is gay". :clown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"