TENET

Tenet is kinda been known as the "good and not great" Nolan movie.

Like Grindhouse or The Color of Money for Tarantino and Scorsese for now.

I really don't get it. I get Nolan's intent on supporting movie theaters, but for God's sake, if there's limited theater capacity with not all of the theaters open, you're not gonna make a profit. It's as simple as that.

They should have pushed this to next year. This is what you get when you placate a director too much. For once, the studio could have been in the right here.

Nolan's heart is in the right place but pretty damn misguided. You can't preserve the cinematic experience when nobody is going to the movies in the first place.

It's sad. I still really want to see this in theaters and I probably won't be able to. Theaters aren't open where I am. Now I'll just end up watching it on my TV like Nolan never intended.

Nolan's heart is in the right place but pretty damn misguided. You can't preserve the cinematic experience when nobody is going to the movies in the first place.

It's sad. I still really want to see this in theaters and I probably won't be able to. Theaters aren't open where I am. Now I'll just end up watching it on my TV like Nolan never intended.

This was probably my #1 anticipated movie I thought I'd be watching this summer in the theater and now I'll probably never get to see it in the theater when it looks like exactly the kind of movie you want to see in the full theatrical experience first.

Yes very misguided.

I admit this pandemic was handled terribly in the US. And no one expected or prepared it would be going on this long. But once it was clear this wasn't ending by July, they should've held back the film.

Now the bloom is off the rose on Tenet. This film could've been at least a much bigger hit had they waited...I admit with the caveat that most theaters will reopen and industry hasn't collapsed yet.

My friend brought up a good point that the likes of Disney and Amazon could buy these theater chains up.

Unless the laws have changed, my understanding is that movie studios can't own movie theater chains.

If Disney were to buy out AMC or Regal, what would keep them from blocking competitor's films or controlling the market place? That could cause antitrust and illegal monopoly issues.

EDIT:

Judge Decrees Studios Can Own Theater Chains For First Time In 71 Years - - What Lies Ahead

OK it might be a different situation now. But I guess we'll see.

Man this movie deserved so much better, but I'm glad I was able to see it when I did. I hope Nolan and the studios have learned a valuable lesson from this whole debacle and judging by all the recent news of movies being delayed until late 2021/2022 it does look like they have or are starting too.

It's unfortunate but I guess if one movie had to be the sacrificial lamb it had to be this one, although I'm still curious about what Mulan would have done had it gotten that same treatment. Probably, at least somewhat better than it has been doing on Disney Plus so far.

Lmao with the current situtation, I seriously think that Nolan's got a shot in the upcoming Oscar season. If he win Best Director for this it would be hilarious. That might be hard, but a nomination is a great possibility

Lmao with the current situtation, I seriously think that Nolan's got a shot in the upcoming Oscar season. If he win Best Director for this it would be hilarious. That might be hard, but a nomination is a great possibility
It is extremely unlikely that we will have an Oscar ceremony this year.They have not announced that yet.But, that announcement is coming.

Antitrust laws are a joke now.

And you conclude this based on. . . the ability of big studios to own a distribution mechanism that is simultaneously no longer a key lynchpin of the entertainment industry, and also would *literally go out of business* if not supported by said studios because they are so unnecessary that competition is literally killing them? Antitrust laws are supposed to protect competition, no competition is being reduced by keeping movie theaters as a thing that actually still exists.

Saw this in an empty XD theater today.

The film was the ultimate paradox, just like its story: visuals that demand to be seen on the biggest screen possible and audio that needs to be watched at home with the captions on.

If Nolan had just dumped 75 percent of the dialogue and leaned in hard to the visual storytelling, I probably would have loved this. There's no denying the technical virtuosity (outside of the sound mixing).

As it was the sweetest moment for me was when that one throw-away line came with a subtitle. Ahhh. Beautifully clear what was said. Chef's kiss.

Saw this in an empty XD theater today.

The film was the ultimate paradox, just like its story: visuals that demand to be seen on the biggest screen possible and audio that needs to be watched at home with the captions on.

If Nolan had just dumped 75 percent of the dialogue and leaned in hard to the visual storytelling, I probably would have loved this. There's no denying the technical virtuosity (outside of the sound mixing).

As it was the sweetest moment for me was when that one throw-away line came with a subtitle. Ahhh. Beautifully clear what was said. Chef's kiss.

That's sort of my big issue with the sound in this film. It's a very dialogue, exposition heavy movie and we're missing large swaths of the sound. Just "feeling" your way through and watching the story through images isn't enough.

I mean if Mad Max Fury Road is the hallmark of visual storytelling, I could at least understand what all the characters were saying when they did speak their minimal dialogue, even Tom Hardy with his moronic accent.

Last edited:
Missed my opportunity to catch this on 70mm IMAX since the semi local IMAX is owned by Regal and I hadn't gotten around to seeing it yet.

At least my local AMC is still open though, so now planning to see it there on a less than IMAX screen. Better than nothing I guess though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"