Terminator: Dark Fate

Surely you can see how it can be applied.
I don't. It looks bloated and distracts from the basic premise.

I always imagined Future War a bit like Dune. With John Connor having foreknowledge and how it affects his decisions. It's the most natural evolution of the first two films, imo.

Another great option would be an elseworlds story: Batman vs. Terminator. Robocop vs. Teminator. Super Mario Bros. vs. Terminator... But these ideas are nothing without an excellent filmmaker armed with an excellent script. None of the sequels after T2 had those.

I don't. It looks bloated and distracts from the basic premise.

I always imagined Future War a bit like Dune. With John Connor having foreknowledge and how it affects his decisions. It's the most natural evolution of the first two films, imo.

Another great option would be an elseworlds story: Batman vs. Terminator. Robocop vs. Teminator. Super Mario Bros. vs. Terminator... But these ideas are nothing without an excellent filmmaker armed with an excellent script. None of the sequels after T2 had those.
What's the basic premise?

Eh, they can do something new. I think it’s just a matter of moving away from the narrative they’ve been beating into the ground. Our relationship with technology has changed and the humans good/robots bad thing just doesn’t hold up anymore.

I mentioned this before, but if they revisit this franchise they should move way into the future. Humanity is the dominant species and AI comprises the lower/working class. It’d work as a commentary on capitalism, as you’d have a group of people who were literally designed to be poor. I’d have the Connor descendants basically function as a royal family of sorts, with limited actual influence on politics but a large social presence. Then have one or or some defect and work with AI in order to abolish the system.

Really get into the ugly sides of politics and war, and how those things give rise to extremism that just causes an endless cycle. Would make for a solid series imo.

Machines wage war on humanity.

AI/human 'drones', working for the system, uprise against said system... a system that's a big 'machine' if you will.

Eh, they can do something new. I think it’s just a matter of moving away from the narrative they’ve been beating into the ground. Our relationship with technology has changed and the humans good/robots bad thing just doesn’t hold up anymore.

I mentioned this before, but if they revisit this franchise they should move way into the future. Humanity is the dominant species and AI comprises the lower/working class. It’d work as a commentary on capitalism, as you’d have a group of people who were literally designed to be poor. I’d have the Connor descendants basically function as a royal family of sorts, with limited actual influence on politics but a large social presence. Then have one or or some defect and work with AI in order to abolish the system.

Really get into the ugly sides of politics and war, and how those things give rise to extremism that just causes an endless cycle. Would make for a solid series imo.

It's a solid concept, but that's also kinda the general premise of Westworld or Blade Runner to a lesser extent. Not sure it really fits this franchise and even if it could, you'd have to be careful that you're still not heading into familiar territory already covered by those other franchises.

AI/human 'drones', working for the system, uprise against said system... a system that's a big 'machine' if you will.
There's an episode of Animatrix exactly about that. What distracts from it is the whole political shebang, Connors as royal family, commentary on whatever there is. It's unnecessary dull world building and it's a long road from it to cyborg cleaners and people living in rat holes. In original Terminator films, commentary on relationship between humanity and technology is basically subtext. If we skip all that we again arrive at future war story. Because there's nothing else left.

The only natural progression I can see is a good Future War movie. But it's not gonna happen because they botched the opportunity. Nobody will try another one. The next Terminator movie will be a low budget film for Netflix, that recycles the familiar story beats.

I just don't see the point in continuing a story just to see it rehash the same near 40 year old plot points. That to me is insanely dull. I'll just watch The Matrix if I want to see a good movie about mankind waging war on machines.

I ain't even saying my idea is aces. But I do feel it would give an actual writer a much larger sandbox to play in.

The franchise is ripe for some great sci fi storytelling. Alas poor Sarah Connor Chronicles. But, I think it is stuck in the action rut for the big screen. As people think action when it comes to Terminator movies.

The only natural progression I can see is a good Future War movie. But it's not gonna happen because they botched the opportunity. Nobody will try another one. The next Terminator movie will be a low budget film for Netflix, that recycles the familiar story beats.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if someone will try again in a couple of years... They'll get Arnold to do it (again) and claim that this will finally be the one that fans were waiting for... And they'll also pretend Dark Fate never happened

Salvation was really the only way for this franchise to go and they mucked that up too.
This. If that movie resembled the opening scene of T2 a little more then they might have been cooking with gas. But alas, the legacy of Terminator Salvation will always be the goofy looking CGI Arnold and that infamous leaked audio of Bale's on set temper tantrum.

One idea I never liked was the ''let's give Skynet a face/vessel''.

The whole thing in Salvation with Helena Bonham Carter's character messing with Worthington's mind. Then in Genisys with Matt Smith standing around like a background extra but the camera making it SUPER obvious despite us not even knowing or giving a s*** who the bloke was.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if someone will try again in a couple of years... They'll get Arnold to do it (again) and claim that this will finally be the one that fans were waiting for... And they'll also pretend Dark Fate never happened

Imagine if the movie opened when the eyes of an aged, decrepit T 800, in a cell, open. Disorientated, dusty, been there for decades it seems - it's a dark room, but something triggered him to wake up - as sound and senses come too, we hear screaming, explosions, military personnel.

He steps out and it's the opening to T2 as we remember - that war.

We see machines and AI everywhere, human resistance is doing its thing - the t800 is looking for its target as bullets rip past him. He spots a group of almost kids, young adults, fighting and losing, a metallic endoskeleton is there, about to slaughter them, the t800 barges past like a concerned parent and slings the machine away.
"Kyle Reece, come with me.."

One idea I never liked was the ''let's give Skynet a face/vessel''.

The whole thing in Salvation with Helena Bonham Carter's character messing with Worthington's mind. Then in Genisys with Matt Smith standing around like a background extra but the camera making it SUPER obvious despite us not even knowing or giving a s*** who the bloke was.

They were counting their chickens before they hatched. They were probably planning for a new trilogy of movies.

I think only Genisys had the obvious franchise set up issues.

But even though, none of the movies ended on a cliffhanger. (rages at TSCC's cliffhanger)

I think only Genisys had the obvious franchise set up issues.

But even though, none of the movies ended on a cliffhanger. (rages at TSCC's cliffhanger)

Dark Fate less so, but Salvation sorta did with John Connor living anto fightother day with Marcus giving him his heart.

Last edited:
Does this movie end with a homage to Back to the Future's ending shot?

I think the basic premise of Terminator has been done to death and it’s time to find the natural progression of that concept.

I think it's time to move on from Terminator. At the end of the day, it just always feel like they are trying to recapture that magic from T2 and always fail. And audiences aren't biting. No one wants a T2 imitator. Even James Cameron didn't have the gumption to take the reins back on this.

I think even James Mangold doing an Indy sequel is a massive waste of time, especially a filmmaker as talented as James Mangold.

I'm not saying all the time, but I think the nostalgia for a lot of these franchises is becoming a trap and it's hampering creativity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"