Terminator: Dark Fate

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Thread Manager, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Mani-Man Registered

You know, i keep thinking that they could do one last "ultimate" terminator movie.
    We already have back and forth timetravel, why not add different universes to it? some kind of Multiverse Terminator.

Bring all the Terminator timelines together and have one final huge movie.
    After that you could easily go with the future war and dont need to rely on the characters or the same story over and over again.
    You could go all out after that.
    But one last movie with Sarah Connor, John Connor, Kyle Reese etc together.

2. Nardz937 In The Chill Of Night

I think the series could still be successful as a show. Make it a smaller scale and smaller budget noir/horror show that's more in the vibe of the original instead of just making more movies trying to be T2.

#2952 Nardz937, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    KaijuDude1992 and AVEITWITHJAMON like this.
  3. TheVileOne Registered

I mean the last two movies basically tried exactly this. Neither worked.

4. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Genisys really frustrates me. I think there's a great story in there. Handled right it could have been the Days of Future Past of Terminator movies. But somewhere between conception and screen it got well and truly ****ed.

5. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Sarah Connor Chronicles exists!!!! :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

3rdstone, Vaibow and Teelie like this.
  6. Teelie Jokerface

Unfortunately it got Foxed like so many great series have been before their time.

7. Vaibow Registered

They should totally do a show, where it's like the walking dead, in the city, but it's cyborgs they re running from, AI, not zombies. It would totally work.

The multiverse idea is great and Genfjghfjgjn should have really played on that... a set up of how it's possible and that in one verse, Sarah Connor is a nobody, in another she looks totally different.. like a week younger... due to her mother conceiving a week earlier, or life choices etc... like so many possibilities and I would have had it where genysidjfjnfn was a different universe, time line, where the original events didn't happen.... and the terminator there is lost and realized he screwed up or something went wrong... so, what the t800 does is he creates his own sky net for that time line and sparks off a new war, which was the whole point......then, once his army is complete and ready, the AI s advanced enough so that it figures out a way to connect with other multiverses/time lines and is like a 'cloud' transcending space and time.. this god like sentient device which then leads into a matrix style world where AI just reign supreme because they do not have the human element to understand life cannot be controlled and os fractal.

That's how you reboot terminator, at least in my eyes.

Milk Tray Guy likes this.
  8. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

First hour of Genysis was great, but once they got to 2017, yeesh

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  9. elgaz Registered

I agree totally, and having rewatched it a few times its aged well. Not perfect by any means, but it took an interesting approach to the Terminator saga.

Too many of the films have followed the same approach. Killer robot travels back in time to kill humanity's saviour. All the rest - Genisys, John being full of nano tech, Brewster and the military base in the mountains, etc - is all window dressing. Even with suspension of disbelief, the stories don't make a lot of sense - if Skynet has access to time travel, they could accomplish their mission much more easily by sending a terminator back 150 years and killing one of O'Connor's ancestors, destroying their family line.

If they want the Terminator franchise to stay alive and actually progress, they're going to have to come up with some completely new story angles but I think a lot of the writers are scared of screwing up an iconic franchise, so they stick with what's safe and rehash what came before.

Blackman likes this.
  10. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

11. titansupes Registered

Been a long time, but I feel like they have some dialogue explaining that in the first movie? That records are largely wiped out and spotty, so Sarah in 1984 LA was one of the few times/locations they could be sure of.

elgaz likes this.
  12. Erik20 Registered

I know Dark Fate is the better movie in general (probably), but it bothered me more than Genisys because of what they did to John and Skynet. It basically craps all over T1 and T2.

It's a shame Salvation didn't work because it seems like they have no idea what to do with an adult John Connor... I also hate how they made him the bad guy in Genisys, that wasn't much better. That twist was almost offensive to me :ebr:

13. TheVileOne Registered

I think therein lies the problem. Terminator 2 is sort of ambiguous and open ended, but it ends on a moment of hope at the very least. Any continuation basically risks sort of ruining that great ambiguous ending.

Like where do you go with John Connor? Look, no disrespect to Edward Furlong, but no one wants to see him onscreen as John Connor anymore. So you can either do future leader of the war John Connor, which they've done and people didn't like, dare to make him a villain like Genisys, or do what Cameron and Miller did here and actually kill him. Of course, there was Sarah Connor Chronicles which sort of tried to serve as like a bridging point, but that didn't last long either.

Nothing about Dark Fate sits well with me though.

KaijuDude1992 and Erik20 like this.
  14. Mani-Man Registered

I think Salvation could have worked with a different actor...i like bale but i dont know, it didnt click with me.
    But it made me realize that i really dont know what to do with John Connor, what his character should turn into.
    I mean he doesnt strike me as a super charismatic leader or so...what do you do with him, in which direction does his character go?

Thats why i thought Genesys had a super interesting idea with changing the timeline so drasticly and all.
    Sadly they did too much in the second half to mess it up.

I would love to see someone try something different with the franchise.
    As it stands you cant "ruin" it more, there is not much left to do...either let it be the end or do something totally new.
    You cant do the same over and over again...god damn it i wanna see Old Arnie in a awesome Terminator movie again.(i honestly think Old arnie looks way cooler than when he was in his prime)

Milk Tray Guy likes this.
  15. TheVileOne Registered

I think it could've worked if they completely trashed this whole concept of Marcus/Sam Worthington and a "human" Terminator in the future war.

They rewrote the script to beef up John Connor's role, but Marcus was still clearly meant to be the main protagonist. It fundamentally doesn't work.

KaijuDude1992 and Mani-Man like this.
  16. Mani-Man Registered

That too yeah.

TheVileOne likes this.
  17. Erik20 Registered

Yeah wasn't Bale originally supposed to be Marcus, but then he changed his mind and wanted to play John Connor instead?

18. elgaz Registered

It's hard to know what direction to take the franchise in but I think our evolving technology in real life will have an impact on it.

When the original film was written, Skynet could have been construed as a (huge) single mainframe-type computer, as that's what 80s filmmakers were familiar with.

By the time T3 came round 19 years later, the storyline made it clear that Skynet had no central core and existed in cyberspace; you couldn't wipe it out simply by blowing up a facility somewhere.

17 years after T3, we're all now familiar with cloud computing and decentralisation of systems. We have evolving AI which is now starting to seep slowly into everyday life, and within 10-15 years is likely to be very integral to many things we use daily; self driving cars, entertainment, home automation, and so on.

I think an interesting concept could be a remake of Terminator, but set in the near future. And rather than Skynet trying to wipe out humanity with a sledgehammer (by causing coordinated nuclear attacks between countries), it does so on a more stealthy basis initially by infiltrating all the modern systems we use daily and turning them against us; spying on us, learning about us, damaging us. This could eventually lead to a war of sorts, even nuclear. None of the previous films have really explored in detail that evolution of Skynet and the eventually beginning of the war; T3 kinda touched on it but the whole thing took (turning on Skynet, then nuclear launches) happened over a few minutes.

This concept could be handled seriously and explored over a few films, just like how the modern Planet of the Apes trilogy went back and delved into how exactly humanity ended up in a war with apes. It would be interesting to explore John Connor's arc over a trilogy as he ages from young man into resistance leader.

19. samsnee Ok

Nah, Skynet would just post as Twitter followers and post misleading information to further politically divide people

Vaibow likes this.
  20. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Every sequel since T2 has had interesting ideas, they just never went far enough with them or the execution was off. I still can't believe they gave Salvation to McG of all the effing directors out there.

21. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

McG is like an inoffensive Michael Bay or Brett Ratner. WB almost gave him Superman before Bryan Singer took over but it didn't work out. I guess they gave him Salvation because they felt like they owed him, even if he was a strange choice for a Terminator film. But I will say that, along with Dark Fate, Salvation is probably the better of the sequels after T2 even if that's not saying much. The worst you could really say about it is that it's boring.

22. henzINNIT Registered

I don't think McG is on the same level as Ratner or Bay, and I'm not complimenting anyone with that statement.

Terminator has become such a husk of a franchise, it's a shame. It's a cool world. Even if the films are duds, there is still potential for great games/tv series etc.

KaijuDude1992 and AVEITWITHJAMON like this.
  23. samsnee Ok

Agreed. I think the problem is they feel they need to create an even deadlier version of a terminator with each sequel. But honestly, you’re not going to top a terminator who is liquid metal.

Terminator 3 had a great dark ending. But Terminatrix sucked.

Salvation finally gave us a future war, but the whole Marcus storyline was dumb.

Genesys had an interesting idea about an aging terminator but the casting of Sarah and Reese were horrible and honestly it only confused the timeline instead of telling a good story. John Connor should not be a terminator.

I actually liked Dark Fate. The action and most of the acting was good and felt right to see Sarah Connor again. But they basically said FU to T2 while basically just doing that same story again.

24. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

I agree with every single word of this :up: Except that I liked the Terminatrix! :oldrazz:

25. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I actually think Salvation is the worst sequel in many ways, it's certainly the one I dislike most.

Genysis has lower lows but it's first hour is genuinely good stuff and so has higher highs IMO.

It's between T3 and DF for best sequel since T2 though for me.