Terminator: Dark Fate

I feel like I've seen/heard Cameron support every sequel post T2 to some extent, he did it both for Genisys and Dark Fate so this doesn't really mean anything to me. I also think James Cameron as a writer has really stagnated and while I enjoyed Avatar and Avatar 2, what really shines in those movies isn't the writing but visual effects and world building.

Even if he writes a new Terminator script I don't have much faith it will do anything interesting.

Cameron supporting post T2 sequels means nothing. Arnold is one his closest friends and he would do anything to help him. He would never trash an Arnold film.

No one knows Terminator better than Cameron. It's his baby. It should never have been touched by other directors.

Now that he controls the rights, no one else will ever be able to exploit it again. Cameron directing is the only thing that would excite me about another film. If not, just leave it alone.

I'd be curious about the direction Cameron sees it going in. Whilst AI is all over the news recently, it's not really a new thing in the world of Terminator - the story told us decades ago that Skynet became self-aware, which is pretty much what a wholly sentient and independent AI system is, long before it became well known in popular culture as it is now.

The fears we have around AI are different now than what they were back then. It’s not so much the idea of humans going into a direct war with machines anymore, but rather AI manipulating humanity into going to war with itself. Like people are mostly afraid of not knowing what’s real anymore. Which I think could make for a more cerebral approach to the franchise potentially.

The fears we have around AI are different now than what they were back then. It’s not so much the idea of humans going into a direct war with machines anymore, but rather AI manipulating humanity into going to war with itself. Like people are mostly afraid of not knowing what’s real anymore. Which I think could make for a more cerebral approach to the franchise potentially.

21965229-71BE-4758-89AE-975AD3F2CBCA.gif

That’s a hell of a premise for a new movie. I like that idea.

In a way that’s kind of what happened in the movies right? Skynet used US nukes on other countries, other countries responded thinking America did it. Something like that.

In a way that’s kind of what happened in the movies right? Skynet used US nukes on other countries, other countries responded thinking America did it. Something like that.

Skynet launches nuclear missiles at Russia, whose auto defence launches missiles back at America and its allies which destroys all of Skynets enemies which was all of humanity by the time it became self aware.

In my mind, the focus would be more on the events that lead up to the US deciding to hand the keys to its nukes over to AI. Because we now see just how on edge the US government is about AI in the real world. So keeping that in mind, what it would it take for our leaders to change their minds? Could it even happen organically? Or would Skynet have had to have been planting the seeds for quite some time? Infiltrating our government and military. Mimicking our leaders.

There's a really slick AI spy thriller in there that I think Cameron could really nail.

In my mind, the focus would be more on the events that lead up to the US deciding to hand the keys to its nukes over to AI. Because we now see just how on edge the US government is about AI in the real world. So keeping that in mind, what it would it take for our leaders to change their minds? Could it even happen organically? Or would Skynet have had to have been planting the seeds for quite some time? Infiltrating our government and military. Mimicking our leaders.

There's a really slick AI spy thriller in there that I think Cameron could really nail.

I’m almost picturing sort of a “Invasion of the Body Snatchers“ type premise, but with machines/artificial intelligence instead of pod people replacing us and slowly taking over. Maybe you could have a human/machine hybrid sent back in time to a certain point to try and stop the problem before it starts taking root. Sort of emphasize the importance of having a human element in conjunction with tech, which could be a commentary on the worries of humans being rendered obsolete through AI, but everything noticeably losing that humanity and becoming just a pale imitation of what came before.

Speaking of which, if they did the time travel element again, how would they even know when to go back to? When it comes to AI, where does that even begin? Is it one specific point, or is it just continuous from the inception of the first computer, the first line of code, the Internet, etc.? Is one person responsible, or is it several people, and are they even culpable to begin with? Would you be morally justified in exterminating the ones that were responsible if they were? Would technology just have to be completely eradicated from the face of the Earth in order to solve the problem? Would it even make a difference? There are so many different variables that would make it so much more complicated than just flipping a switch.

The more this is discussed, the more intrigued I am at what new things could possibly be brought to a new take on the concept for this franchise.

Speaking to ComicBook, McG — real name Joseph McGinty Nichol — said that he wasn’t happy that Salvation underwent so many changes behind the scenes. Namely, he revealed that there is a cut of the film that includes an ending that McG calls “beyond dark.”

“We tried hard. On that one, we brought in Jonah Nolan to write it. There was a writers’ strike back then. Brought in Christian Bale, you can’t reach much higher than that. We certainly gave it everything we had. A lot of people like that movie. It didn’t quite do what I hoped it was gonna do, and I’ve been living with that wound a long time,” McG said. “There’s a cut out there with an entirely different ending, I just can’t share it with the world yet. It’s beyond dark.”

“It’s interesting because I feel like we did so much right with Terminator but, ultimately, got just enough wrong that we got beat up a little bit by the fanbase and it really, really broke my heart,” continued McG. “And now, strangely, I think the film has started to age better. And there is a different cut: I have my own cut of that film and there’s people online that talk about wanting to see that cut. And that’s interesting! But I think I got a lot of things right with that.”

If he's saying "yet" then that sh** is eventually gonna come out.

I wonder if they shot the original scripted ending, with John Connor dying and Marcus wearing his skin. Definitely would've been better than what we got.

So they finally added T2 into the National Film Registry. Long overdue. The first one got in back in '08.

Yeah that's a huge accomplishment. It's one of the best sequels of all time, T2 deserves that spot.

Dark Fate would have been a great subtitle for T3, given then ending

Welcome to 40 years later. :o

5b3a25af0303e5e0f997a177b97e4d77f082e7b6.gif

bf28d128eb9e7d9620c174af7e28580ac8eb485d.gif

105171e5956dc3a40947ad031ebfd29e1ea4c5b1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member