Terminator: Dark Fate

I'm still not sure what it is about Alita though. I know she hit a few tropes (vulnerable female, young/innocent and attractive) but she was also a capable, powerful female character who led the movie. Maybe it is because she smiled more? :o

It's because the movie is based on a manga/anime. Anime tends to draw a regressive crowd, which is not too much of a surprise, given a lot of the content.

It's because the movie is based on a manga/anime. Anime tends to draw a regressive crowd, which is not too much of a surprise, given a lot of the content.

Comments like this make you sound like Devin Faraci.

Trope is commonly defined as a figurative or metaphorical use of a word or expression.

When fandom is using trope as a pejorative or negative term, I feel what they really mean is a cliche story convention.

But yes they are impossible to avoid Schlosser.

Comments like this make you sound like Devin Faraci.

I have observed the Crunchyroll forums enough to think it is valid. And as much as I enjoy a lot of anime, it is silly not to say there is a lot of problematic stuff in it. As much as I love Kill la Kill, I am not exactly going to call someone wrong for not liking it due to its issues.

I really don't know how certain people are fine with Alita but hate Captain Marvel, then go and hate this movie for reasons related to the female cast.

I get the wariness for the story itself, the lack of Cameron's more direct involvement but some of the hate because there are female leads? This movie might be terrible but it won't be because *gasp* women!

What is the difference between Alita and Marvel or T6 here? Honestly don't know what the difference is.

I'm watching Alita for the first time right now.

I'm like 30 mins in and I've noticed a difference. Alita is likeable, kinda charming with her naivety. I dont like Carol, I'm not really that interested in her story. I like Bree Larson as an actress.

But then I always thought she was simply the female Hal Jordan lol.

I'm still confused on exactly what's the controversy all over the net. I keep seeing videos on YouTube with the word" woke" in the titles and anti female crap. If it's actually because of focus on female characters..

sarahconnorcomparison-550x207.jpg

T-X.jpg

68739.jpg

18991468-3.jpg

24926.jpg

This film features 2 badass women and a woman with a big role in the story and that's a huge no no..even though Arnold is back and there's another male terminator

I'm watching Alita for the first time right now.

I'm like 30 mins in and I've noticed a difference. Alita is likeable, kinda charming with her naivety. I dont like Carol, I'm not really that interested in her story. I like Bree Larson as an actress.

But then I always thought she was simply the female Hal Jordan lol.
I like Carol as either a drill sergeant or the other super chick with a short fuse and temper.
Larson Carol is just another MCU character.

Seems like we get a good range of femmes here - naive damsel, hot-headed tortured soul, and the wise ol' grandmaster

I'm still confused on exactly what's the controversy all over the net. I keep seeing videos on YouTube with the word" woke" in the titles and anti female crap. If it's actually because of focus on female characters..

sarahconnorcomparison-550x207.jpg

T-X.jpg

68739.jpg

18991468-3.jpg

24926.jpg

This film features 2 badass women and a woman with a big role in the story and that's a huge no no..even though Arnold is back and there's another male terminator

I get what I think you're trying to say. The Terminator series was BUILT on strong female characters. With the exception of Kate Brewster in Terminator 3, who did nothing but scream the whole movie. They fixed her in Terminator Salvation a bit (recasting her with Bryce Howard helped), but they scaled back her character as a consequence. In short, complaining about female emphasis in this series is pointless because THAT'S A PART OF WHAT MADE THE SERIES GOOD, INTERNET!

The complaints stem from the agenda behind the movie. The former films in the series didn't have one to push... or hammer with a mallet.

I don't know if there's an agenda behind this. I think I and others were reacting to that weird mini interview when it came across, imo, to try and use diversity controversy to promote/sell/get people to talk about the movie.

I don't get why Miller felt the need to talk about a very very vocal minority of people who would be mad about a female lead in Terminator movie. I also don't understand why the interviewer would even ask except for clickbait.

ANd also Miller's statement of (and I'm paraphrasing): If you're not sexist you'll like Mackenzie Davis' character if you're a misogynist you'll hate her which, again imo, kinda reads like "If you don't like ______ you're sexist." And then it's just a weird thing to say. It's like me saying "If you don't like black people you won't like Black Panther"

It was just an odd interview

The trailer played in front of 'Crawl' and I kinda dug it even more. I will watch it, it sure as hell can't be worse than Danny doing her Linda Hamilton interpretation, we at least get the OG back.

Also, a bit random but if Mackenzie Davis had been cast as CM, maybe, I would've actually seen that movie. I didn't like her in Endgame. lol

v8Jk4TY.jpg

FZf9RyS.jpg

Linda Hamilton explains why she's finally back for 'Terminator: Dark Fate'

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Coming off the success of Deadpool, you surely had plenty of options for your next project. So, why Terminator?
TIM MILLER:
I think you’d get the same answer from pretty much any nerd you’d ask, which is these movies, because they were the seminal sci-fi movies of the decade when they came out, they had a big influence on a lot of people, especially at my age. Star Wars and Terminator were the two biggest franchises that made me want to get into this. The idea that I could continue this story is unbelievable to me.

Linda, it’s been almost 30 years since you last played Sarah, and there were opportunities to return in the past. Why was this the opportunity that finally brought you back?
LINDA HAMILTON:
There is a real gift in that so much time has passed, and that gives me so much more to explore with the character. Sarah Connor is the same person but I wanted to see how the difference in events have changed her and shaped her and send her forward. There was meat there. I didn’t want to just recycle the same idea. It’s a woman who has a different mission, a different story, so I wanted to see what we could do with that.
MILLER: And then of course she met me. [Laughs] Linda is almost ready to trust me.
HAMILTON: We’re really close to having a trusting relationship.

Tim, with the struggles of the more recent films to connect with audiences in the same way as the original two, did you think it was necessary to have Linda to be able to justify another film?
MILLER:
Absolutely. When we started, we just didn’t know if she would do it. Jim [Cameron] was very honest about, “Look, I’ll ask her but I don’t know what she’s going to say.” But he did and she was interested. Like a nervous deer, we had to creep up on her and convince her one step at a time to do it.
HAMILTON: He called me three times before I even called him back. The third time, he was like, “It’s about work,” and I’m like, “Oh, hey, what’s up?” But, even with that and his big sell, it took me weeks to decide that I really could go there and might have something new to say.

Had you assumed that you were done playing Sarah?
HAMILTON:
It was many, many years of just being sure that it was done, that I was done. I kept saying, “Yeah, yeah, if I’m in one now it’s like the geriatrics era.” [Laughs] Which is actually kind of true. I never saw this coming, which made it that much more interesting.
MILLER: But you know what, I honestly believe this would be the best version of the movie after the second one. This will be more clear when you see the movie, but the first two movies really deal with time as a loop, what’s happening is the same thing that happened before and everybody is fighting to ensure that happens again. And Jim had this lucky break that he only broke that rule at the end of Terminator 2 when Sarah destroys Cyberdyne, it’s the first thing that happened that hadn’t happened before, and so it was going to change the future — but no one knew how. And I don’t think the movies that came after it really explored that in a clean way like I believe we are, with true consequences, and it makes perfect sense for Sarah to be the one to face those consequences since they were her choices to begin with.

What was it like fully diving back into Sarah? Were you immediately able to slide back into it or was it a process?
HAMILTON:
It’s not like riding a bike, I’ll tell you that. [Laughs] Of course, one assumes if you put in the same hard work, you get the same results, so I went straight back into training really hard and it’s like, “Oh my god, you need hormones to put muscle on!” So just starting with the basic cosmetics of the character and all of the things that I had to sort of include in my new reality as Sarah Conner. But, really, it’s about building her backstory and figuring out where she’s been and who she is today. You have a character but so many things have impacted her in the last 30 years that it was like starting over, and yet, there is an echo of the younger Sarah Conner in everything that I had to create. But no, I worked damn hard. I spent a year-plus training really hard and working on her walk and exploring her deep sorrows and just so many elements, and more so, because there is a path there. By the time we started, I felt ready, but a year-plus before that, I was pretty overwhelmed with a sense of obligation and duty and love for the character, just really trying to make sure that we honored the past and created something new for the future.
MILLER: For me, it was a day. Linda shows up on set and she is Sarah Connor. It wasn’t like I decided what she should be at this point; Linda had already put all of the thought into who she was, what she felt like, and how events had shaped her, so when we actually started filming, it was nothing but as if the character walked on to the set for me. It was great as a director. I don’t think I could have told Linda what to do if she hadn’t had it all figured out [laughs].

What can you say about where we pick up with Sarah in Dark Fate? What is her mindset and situation?
HAMILTON:
She’s a woman without a country. Her original mission has changed due to circumstances and she really doesn’t have a team anymore, she just has a thirst for vengeance, so that makes her very alone. She’s still a wildcard, but a wildcard without a real true mission is a lot more unpredictable. Basically very hard for her to find her humanity, so once again we get to take a journey on that level, to have some deep things that need to be rediscovered for her survival.

'Agenda'.... the internet's favourite pointless buzzword. It's so frequently used to imply some sinister motive behind female protagonists when the truth is it is totally harmless. At best it promotes a more diverse host of roles in Hollywood, at worst it is a novelty for the sake of media attention. Either way it has little to do with the quality of the end product. The irony is those who cry "agenda" often have one themselves.

I get what I think you're trying to say. The Terminator series was BUILT on strong female characters. With the exception of Kate Brewster in Terminator 3, who did nothing but scream the whole movie. They fixed her in Terminator Salvation a bit (recasting her with Bryce Howard helped), but they scaled back her character as a consequence. In short, complaining about female emphasis in this series is pointless because THAT'S A PART OF WHAT MADE THE SERIES GOOD, INTERNET!

Kate in T3 had the entry point role and had a lot of s**t to deal with, but in her defense she did more than scream. She disarmed John at the vets, managed to secure a gun and shot Arnie after being "abducted", shot down a HK in CRS and flew the plane to Crystal Peak in the last act.

I don't care how many females are in the movie. If characters are great - that's all that matters. Interview doesn't hold anything new, maybe except Miller confirming the leaks are real. The trailer is about to drop in a few days, so we will see. Teaser was stupidly underwhelming and generic.

A new trailer is coming? Hopefully that's improved inpresentatiob and has more Arnold to clear up what his character and role is

I doubt the trailer will be clarifying much. But the leaks have extensive info on nearly everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"