ThDWgeek's fan art

Here's a slight redesign of the Wonder Woman costume. I envisioned it as being the classic costume, but with a couple of additions that would suit a warrior character and add a smidge of dignity. I tried to make it as authentically Greek as possible, though I am aware the skirt is too long for Greek armour in that style. The sword I included is a Xiphos, but I'd appreciate it if somebody who's more well-versed in Ancient Greece could tell me if that's the right choice or not. But enough babble from me, here's the pencil version:

wonder_woman_pencils_by_bobalob93-d50kve8.jpg

And here's the pen version:

wonder_woman_pens_by_bobalob93-d50kx8m.jpg

I definitely need to practice hair and stomach muscles.

I really like the games, so I did a picture of Ratchet and Clank. I'm not too fond of the proportions I gave to each of them, but I do like some of the areas of cross hatching on this one, as well as the gun in the pen version. Here's the pencil version:

ratchet_and_clank_pencils_by_bobalob93-d50ui2u.jpg

ratchet_and_clank_pens_by_bobalob93-d50uj7q.jpg

Don't make him angry. Here's my version of the Hulk, though I think the composition of this piece is a bit lacking. I like what I've done with the anatomy and the cross hatching. And I think in the pencil version at least, I've accidentally made him look like Dan Turpin from STAS:funny:. Not sure what happened to his face in the pen version, but I definitely screwed up somewhere. He went from "full of rage" to "kinda annoyed". But regardless, here's the pencil version:

the_hulk_pencils_by_bobalob93-d51yvpm.jpg

the_hulk_pens_by_bobalob93-d51yx5s.jpg

I can't remember how this idea came to me, but I thought of doing a Nightmare Before Christmas inspired version of the Scarecrow. I figured the fear gas would make anyone who's affected by it see the world in a really weird way, and I wanted to try and make a really creepy picture. think it turned out ok, but I think it lost it's edge in the pen version. But I like the hat and some of the shading on it. Anyway, here's the pencil version:

scarecrow_pencils_by_bobalob93-d53jlj5.jpg

scarecrow_pens_by_bobalob93-d53jlrk.jpg

Just a quick Batman sketch I did while I couldn't work on my Scarecrow picture. Not too pleased with it, so I'm not going to bother with adding the pens over it. It's the detail on the cape and the awkward and boring pose I don't like about it. But hey, here it is:

batman_sketch_by_bobalob93-d53opxh.jpg

If I may make some suggestions on pencils 1) Invest in blue or red pencils -
2) draw images lightly in that first 3) scanner is better than photos and the blue or red can be scanned out
4) Use life images for examples 5) place yourself as a person taking a snapshot try to imagine where each part of characters are based upon YOUR position

Not too bad but scanning would have presented better samples on some of these

I also made a similar Iron man to this but in 2d-3d with an example of using a person as a Point of reference if you would like to see that sometime

They were done with a scanner, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure I need a new one :csad: And as for the red and blue pencils, I've heard about using them before, but I've never been sure about how to get started with them. Have you got any detailed tips on using them?

They were done with a scanner, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure I need a new one :csad: And as for the red and blue pencils, I've heard about using them before, but I've never been sure about how to get started with them. Have you got any detailed tips on using them?

first off note the colored pencils are for drafting you do your basic outlines with them not finals - The dark pencil should in this case be used when you are satisfied with an area - While it's been a long time since I penciled I made a draft as an example in Photoshop for you (I know image is horrible sorry but it will show the process)

http://s516.photobucket.com/albums/u322/grafffik/RandomArt/?action=view&current=sample-1.jpg

click on it then ZOOM to original size
in left image I started with rough draft in red (it's pink here about how pencil will usually show on paper) then I did the harder outlines in black
unlike what i did you'd redo in red till satisfied in angles -
Next in image right you would do Scanning but adjust the contrast till all the REDS are not scanned (this process varies in scanning software)

And if done right (I did not only mostly) only the blacks appear

reason for using lighter colors is you can phase out most of your "rough draft" (or errors) out during scanning process - Also invest in "french curves" for example french curves have designated set patterns like the OVAL I used as the initial left template

And don't draw like I do - my art is only a rough draft sketch :)

Advice like this was given by professional pencilers (and When I was in art class in Jr. High)

hope the info helps and I'll keep the draft there indefinetly if you want to help people too :)

Also if you want an example of "perspective" this is an image I recently done

http://s516.photobucket.com/albums/u322/grafffik/RandomArt/?action=view&current=Hawkeye.jpg

While I probably should tweek this a bit it shows perspective

The closer the arm to the camera - the larger it is - the further away - the smaller it is, the closer the arrow shaft the bigger, the further away the smaller

I'm just starting to use these techniques too but they have a lot of potential

Thanks for the advice :woot: I've already started some stuff, but after that I'm gonna give red pencils a shot.

A Lex Luthor sketch I've been working on. I'm pretty pleased with it, but I don't think it really looks like he's holding the Kryptonite. Here's the pencil version:

lex_luthor_pencils_by_bobalob93-d54sa4k.jpg

lex_luthor_pens_by_bobalob93-d54save.jpg

I've decided to get some inks when I can, and a decent set of paint brushes and some caligraphy pens. I'm tired of these pictures ending up with weird lines and odd tints to them.

I can't remember how this idea came to me, but I thought of doing a Nightmare Before Christmas inspired version of the Scarecrow. I figured the fear gas would make anyone who's affected by it see the world in a really weird way, and I wanted to try and make a really creepy picture. think it turned out ok, but I think it lost it's edge in the pen version. But I like the hat and some of the shading on it. Anyway, here's the pencil version:

scarecrow_pencils_by_bobalob93-d53jlj5.jpg

scarecrow_pens_by_bobalob93-d53jlrk.jpg

:wow::hrt::wow::hrt:

I really dig this, and the ~words hidden in the smoke~ are amazeballs.

Thanks for the kind words, guys! Though I do wish that I'd made the words in the smoke on the Scarecrow picture a bit more ambiguous, I'm glad to hear people like it.

Another Superman picture. I just wanted to do a classic Superman pose with this one, so please excuse the bland pose. For this one I used some anatomy guides on deviantART to get the definition in the arms right, and I think they came out ok. I think I made his face look a bit to much like a guy from the 1950s, but I don't mind it too much. To try and sort that out, I'm gonna do a character study at some pont, and try and pin down a definitive look for how I draw Superman. Overall, though I feel it lacks energy, I'm really pleased with this one.

Here's the pencils:

superman_pencils_by_bobalob93-d55zbz0.jpg

superman_pens_by_bobalob93-d55zdpz.jpg

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to get a set of inks yet, but I think pens look ok on this picture.

Done some work on a character study of Superman. I added my commentary for the different pieces as I was going, so I'm keeping this bit short. But hey, here it is:

superman_head_study_by_bobalob93-d57fp95.jpg

More Batman! This time, perspective Batman! I think I got a pretty dynamic pose going here, and that the perspective works pretty well. The anatomy is ok, but the neck seems kinda skinny and long. I plan on inking this one day, but I haven't got any proper inks, ink pens or brushes yet, so I'm leaving it as it is for the minute.

batman__a_dark_knight_by_bobalob93-d58ney2.jpg

EDIT: With my next drawing, I'm gonna put a piece of card or two behind it so some of the lighter lines show up.

A simple picture of Storm. I started this one a while ago, but stopped to work on stuff for my girlfriend's birthday. But now that it's done, I'm pretty pleased with it. I think the pose works well, the anatomy's pretty good and the shading's ok, if a little excessive on the cape. And I know that her eyes should be completely white, but I felt like drawing her pupils and everything, so I did XD

Here it is:

storm_sketch_by_bobalob93-d5cqhdh.jpg

I do seriously need to get some inks and ink pens though.

After hearing that it would have been the man's 95th Birthday on Tuesday, I wanted to do a Kirby-inspired piece, and ended up focusing on the Silver Surfer. I'm really quite pleased with this one, as I think I did well with the general anatomy and the Kirby-inspired elements. I definitely think I should do something different with the energy pulses around the hands though, as I think I should have left them open rather have them completely envelope the hands. But oh well, here it is:

silver_surfer_sketch_by_bobalob93-d5d6clc.jpg

This one's a rather simple Superman sketch, but I've got a bit of a story behind it. I wanted to draw the character flying towards the "camera" as it were, with the sunlight coming from behind him, but I was afraid that I'd mess it up trying to do the light on it. So I figured I'd finish the main figure and put some light shading on the figure, then add the light and heavier shading later, and if it messed up I'd have the first version of it. :woot: Overall, I think it's ok, as the arms and the head look pretty good in my opinion, but the torso seems kinda screwy. But anyway, here's the first version:

superman_sketch_by_bobalob93-d5dzkol.jpg

And here's the second:

superman_sketch_2_0_by_bobalob93-d5dzl42.jpg

Which one do you think is better?

Recently I've been working on a picture of Altair from Assassin's Creed, and I finally finished it this morning. I'm pretty pleased with it overall, but I wish I could have made some of the smaller details a bit better. Also, I finally had a chance to use some colours and shading on a picture, as I always feel that colouring pencils are the wrong choice of materials for superhero pictures, and I'm pleased with how the various shades and everything turned out.

Here's the black and white version:

altair_by_bobalob93-d5f7tz5.jpg

And here's the colour version:

altair_in_colour_by_bobalob93-d5f7ufa.jpg

What do you think of them?

I know I probably should have done an Ezio picture, but I wanted to draw Harley, so I drew Harley :woot:. I'm pleased with this one, as I think I really matched up the pose with the character's personality, even if the arms do look a little weird. I wanted to include a more intricate design on the letters in the background, but I felt that it would end up with Harley fading into the background rather than standing out from it. But enough from me, here it is:

harley_quinn_sketch_by_bobalob93-d5fng8x.jpg

Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with how the harley one turned out too. As for your work, I'm really digging the Indian Warrior piece. Was there any inspiration behind it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"