• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

World The 1994 Spider-Man show

spider-man-and-villains.jpg

1hb4.jpg

One thing that bugged me about this show is the Green Goblin telling everyone and their mom about his connection to Norman Osborn. When he told Kingpin of all people in his first appearance, Norman should have been dead...err I mean destroyed THE NEXT DAY.

One thing that bugged me about this show is the Green Goblin telling everyone and their mom about his connection to Norman Osborn. When he told Kingpin of all people in his first appearance, Norman should have been dead...err I mean destroyed THE NEXT DAY.
Ranks right up there with the "villain has chance to kill hero but instead chooses to gloat about his master plan" cliche.

I grew up with this series and it introduced me to Spidey's world. But it really hasn't aged that well. The first season was the best, but afterwards is when things started to go downhill. I could never hate it though.

I really didn't like that a C/D-list villain like Morbius ended up having more screentime than Norman Osborn's GG, Venom, Hobgoblin, Mysterio, Vulture, Rhino, and Shocker.

All 5 seasons are available on Amazon.co.uk, they're all region 2.
I watched them all back to back last year, still is a great show, despite the hate it gets now because of the awesomeness that was The Spectacular Spider-Man

I know this was posted awhile ago, but most of the hate the 90s show gets seems to be because a lot of SSM haters don't explain their reasons in a mature matter. They will bash the show without anything to back it up with. They bash it for being a "kiddy show" and then praise the 90s for being "mature." When ironically SSM had less censorship. I've seen elitists *****es even go as far as bashing the fans of SSM. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these guys never even watched one episode. They probably just took one look at the designs and hated it right then and there.

So yeah, when 90s nostalgics start putting down SSM for no apparant reason other than to make TAS look better, I can see people hating TAS just to spite them. There were times when I actually wanted to join them.

Last edited:
I got the whole series on DVD for Christmas, and just finished watching all 65 episodes at last. While I really enjoy this show, it's heavily flawed in many areas:

- The constant recycling of footage. It become so obvious that it's cringe worthy sometimes. Especially when you see Spidey or other characters in environments that look nothing like the setting they were just in. For example in the Daredevil team up episode, Spidey fights the Kingpin, and Kingpin throws Spidey across the room. The footage they then use is Spidey landing in front of Doc Ock's reactor in Ock's first episode lol. Terrible!

- The over use of the Kingpin. Ok, I get that he's the Kingpin of crime, but he doesn't have to be in nearly every episode and have affiliations with nearly every villain. It really hurt the other villains, especially the likes of Doc Ock, always taking orders from Kingpin. Ock is a leader of men, not a follower.

- Hobgoblin coming before Green Goblin. The Spider-Man fan in me did not like that at all. Norman should be the one to start the Goblin trend as Gobby.

- The over use of Morbius. He got more exposure than the likes of Green Goblin, Venom etc. Frankly his story was boring. Vampires and Spider-Man just don't feel right together.

- Chameleon not having a voice except when he's impersonating another character. I wanted to hear Chameleon talk in his Russian accent.

However the show still has a lot going for it. The animation was great, the character designs were very true to the comics, the voice acting was great, and there's some real quality episodes in there. Especially from the first three seasons. The first episode with Doc Ock in season one is one of the best Doc Ock stories I've ever seen.

I got the whole series on DVD for Christmas, and just finished watching all 65 episodes at last. While I really enjoy this show, it's heavily flawed in many areas:

- The constant recycling of footage. It become so obvious that it's cringe worthy sometimes. Especially when you see Spidey or other characters in environments that look nothing like the setting they were just in. For example in the Daredevil team up episode, Spidey fights the Kingpin, and Kingpin throws Spidey across the room. The footage they then use is Spidey landing in front of Doc Ock's reactor in Ock's first episode lol. Terrible!

- The over use of the Kingpin. Ok, I get that he's the Kingpin of crime, but he doesn't have to be in nearly every episode and have affiliations with nearly every villain. It really hurt the other villains, especially the likes of Doc Ock, always taking orders from Kingpin. Ock is a leader of men, not a follower.

- Hobgoblin coming before Green Goblin. The Spider-Man fan in me did not like that at all. Norman should be the one to start the Goblin trend as Gobby.

- The over use of Morbius. He got more exposure than the likes of Green Goblin, Venom etc. Frankly his story was boring. Vampires and Spider-Man just don't feel right together.

- Chameleon not having a voice except when he's impersonating another character. I wanted to hear Chameleon talk in his Russian accent.

However the show still has a lot going for it. The animation was great, the character designs were very true to the comics, the voice acting was great, and there's some real quality episodes in there. Especially from the first three seasons. The first episode with Doc Ock in season one is one of the best Doc Ock stories I've ever seen.
Lucky. I wish they'd release season sets in the U.S. There's a few dvds with some episodes and the first season is on iTunes, but that's it.

Hey vampires are all the rage with the Twi-farts.

The 1994 Spider-Man series, more the other comic book series I watched during that time (Pretty much just X-men and Batman with some Iron Man) I watch for the nostalgia because it is the most flawed Marvel show of the bunch.

- In addition to what Joker said, another problem is the confusion on Marvel animation's part to decide whether this show was going to be more fantastical or more sci-fi like, because it kept flip-flopping all the time.

- The censorship of the show like not being able to say dead, Spider-man can't punch, etc., etc. It's ridiculous considering what the other shows got away with.

There's a twihard here.

*back out of thread slowly*
Don't worry. I only drink animal blood. I don't bite humans. Although, you have a strong bloodlust that it may be hard for me to keep myself from killing you. But there's a good chance I won't end up killing you.

Thank you. Though I have my stake right by-

Wait, why are you sparkling?

Thank you. Though I have my stake right by-

Wait, why are you sparkling?
How'd you know I needed one more stake to help put up my tent? Thank you so much. As for why I'm sparkling, it's because you think I'm so beautiful, it looks that way to you.

What I always found stupid is making Spider-man the leader in the Secret Wars episode. He's many things, but a leader he is not. And there's no way any of those characters, some of them proven leaders(Captain America, Mr Fantastic, Storm) would ever take orders from him.

Despite the restrictions, I still adore this show. As much as TSSM? No, but I still love it. It's what got me into Spider-Man in the 90's.

This show, along with other Spider-Man cartoons, won't be on Disney XD for awhile since Ultimate Spider-Man is premeiring soon.
http://marvel.toonzone.net/news.php?action=fullnews&id=750

Out of confusion for different version? Isn't that going to happen anyway when this show and Avengers share other Marvel Universe characters? Do they think children are really that stupid?

This used to be DC's backwards, half-baked thinking, and even then they grew out of it eventually. But as long as it doesn't intefere with actual show content, it shouldn't be too much trouble.

That sucks they're getting rid of the other shows just to insure people won't get Ultimate Spider-Man confused with something else.

They already completely stopped playing TSSM ages ago (that just fell off of their programming too quietly), and they had SMTAS, Unlimited, and Amazing Friends.

Out of confusion for different version? Isn't that going to happen anyway when this show and Avengers share other Marvel Universe characters? Do they think children are really that stupid?

This used to be DC's backwards, half-baked thinking, and even then they grew out of it eventually. But as long as it doesn't intefere with actual show content, it shouldn't be too much trouble.

That sucks they're getting rid of the other shows just to insure people won't get Ultimate Spider-Man confused with something else.

They already completely stopped playing TSSM ages ago (that just fell off of their programming too quietly), and they had SMTAS, Unlimited, and Amazing Friends.
Yeah. It's to avoid confusion, but I don't think it really matters since they've only been showing the Spider-Man shows late at night/early in the morning anyway. When I first got into Spider-Man, yeah I got confused about some stuff [Spider-Man 3 made me think Gwen was just a minor character and TSSM just expanded her role], but it was fun to see the different take on the characters and the confusion just made me that much more interested in the comics.

Yeah. It's to avoid confusion, but I don't think it really matters since they've only been showing the Spider-Man shows late at night/early in the morning anyway. When I first got into Spider-Man, yeah I got confused about some stuff [Spider-Man 3 made me think Gwen was just a minor character and TSSM just expanded her role], but it was fun to see the different take on the characters and the confusion just made me that much more interested in the comics.

Me too. When SM3 was about come out, I was excited to see Gwen was going to be in the movie but I didn't really know how important a character she was from the comics.

At the time she was just, that one chick the goblin killed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"