The 5 Best Cinematic Scenes Ever - POLL

Like I mentioned, the last 20 minutes of LOTR The Two Towers. From Gimli's line, "The sun is rising..." to the end is just magnificiant.

And the opening credits sequence of The Shining. I don't know if that counts. But probably the greatest opening credit sequence of all time.

I mentioned before the battle scene and worm riding in Dune
I would like to add
Darth Vader saying to Luke. "No...I...am your father"
Johnny Depp and "the wave speech" from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Gregory Peck's courtroom scene in "To Kill a Mockingbird"
and for the life of me I can't think of a 5th right now. I'll get back to you.

oh, and anakin vs. obi-wan

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pSwy412nttI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pSwy412nttI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

Yeah. Say what you want about the prequels, but no one can deny that the lightsaber duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan was a visual masterpiece. It was simply amazing.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the best action sequence ever...

God the 70's were ****ing awesome.

- William Munny exacting his revenge in the last scene of Unforgiven

- Barnes' boys terrorizing a village of perceived sympathizers in Platoon

- Beatrix and Elle destroying Bud's trailer in Kill Bill, Vol.2

- Jack bullying Wendy up the staircase after she finds his manuscript in The Shining

- Animal rights activists attacked by 'rage'-infected chimps in 28 Days Later

- The entire Jupiter sequence in 2001: A Space Odyssey

And I have to applaud someone else's mention of the Vader vs Luke scene in The Empire Strikes Back. Some of the finest ten minutes in cinematic history.

Last edited:
Yeah. Say what you want about the prequels, but no one can deny that the lightsaber duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan was a visual masterpiece. It was simply amazing.
The only part I liked about it was the end, when the fight is over and Anakin is burning. That had real emotional power, unlike everything else which rung as false as the all CG environments.

The only part I liked about it was the end, when the fight is over and Anakin is burning. That had real emotional power, unlike everything else which rung as false as the all CG environments.

I'm not denying that the emotional weight of the film was amazing, but I thought the emotional tension between Anakin and Obi Wan was fine in the fight.

And even aside from that, purely on a spectacle level, that sequence deserves to be mentioned in the "best of" section of Cinema. It's a visual masterpiece. The energy in that fight is breathtaking.

I have so many favorite scenes...gahhh! Very difficult. I have a feeling I'm going to have to keep coming back over and over again to this thread to add to it.

I think I'll start, however, with the well recognized finale from Scarface. Ultimate badass Tony Montana. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-leaJrm_I0M

Also, as a personal favorite (not really suitable for the thread) the tension really mounts in the scene where Tony confronts Frank and Mel, and then completely turns around and delivers a great comedy moment (one of my top, top lines).

"You want a job Ernie?"

:woot:

I don't know if you'd call the finale a great "cinematic" scene, but it was really something for its time.

While I'm still thinking, No Country for Old Men recently delivered us a truly memorable scene in the form of the "coin toss." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds-2WcqaziM

More to come eventually.

Last edited:
Watchmen's opening credits.

John McClane jumping off Nakatomi Towers as the roof explodes.

The Bank shootout/Coffee shop scenes in Michael Mann's Heat.

Arnie's first ever "I'll be back" proceeded by him mowing down the whole cop shop in The Terminator.

Any Rocky training montage ever.

The scene in Children of Men where they run into that bulding whilst the war is going on around them. Then she gives birth to the baby in the building, and they walk out. EVERYONE just stops fighting and looks on in awe. Truly one of THE most amazing scenes in cinematic history.

Won't let me embed it so here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuZSmSBLWAg&feature=related

Now those who know me know I'm not exactly a sensitive soul, but this brought me so close to tears. And I don't really know why.

I agree whole heartedly.

I could come up with 5, but since I'm in a hurry I'll give you my 2 favorites in order:

#1: "The Godfather" (Francis Ford Coppola, 1972)...The christening of the baby and Michael renouncing Satan while simultaneously having all of his adversaries gunned down.

[YT]-eu3DWJjYP0[/YT]

This one or the whole sequence in the hospital where Michael realizes that more men are coming for his father. It's a quieter scene, but I love that moment of realization Michael has when he realizes that he is more than capable of handling that kind of situation.

#2: "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (Steven Spielberg, 1981)...Indy, on horseback, trails after Belloq and the Nazis in pursuit of the Ark.

[YT]Qy6hIJZS7oI[/YT]

I'd nominate the opening sequence, personally. But that film is chock full of great scenes. "Bad dates"

Personally I would like to nominate

The train and sunset sequence from Lawrence of Arabia

Somewhere Over the Rainbow/the Tornado sequence from Wizard of Oz

[YT]F0-um0pHTAg[/YT]

The Battle of Dunkirk from Atonement (The clip is on You Tube, I can't post it due to bad words)

Almost Famous, tiny dancer

[YT]7Qn3tel9FWU[/YT]

Atticus killing the rabid dog from To Kill A Mockingbird

and of course...

30 YEAR OLD SPOILER ALERT

[YT]Vdc7v4vkbJI[/YT]

Somewhere Over the Rainbow/the Tornado sequence from Wizard of Oz

[YT]F0-um0pHTAg[/YT]

Great choice. The sequence of the song, to the tornado to the stunning reveal of Oz is just classic.

I'd also like to throw in the opening of The Lion King. Such a beautiful and powerful way to start off a movie. Astonishing how the 3-minute animated sequence is able to capture such emotion, doing a considerably better job than many live action films.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX07j9SDFcc

That movie has the best opening credits sequence too.

[YT]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mUTpZHpbjQ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mUTpZHpbjQ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YT]
I prefer the opening to Once Upon a Time in the West.

The T-1000, frozen solid, shot by the T-101 amd shattered into a million pieces, then the pieces mergeing together into a large metal-liquid pool and reforming into the T-1000. (T2)

Batman flipping the Joker's truck; the Batpod then does a 180 on a bank wall. (TDK)

That's all I feel like posting.

Was hard decide what is better than other but I came up this now:

1. Theoden arrival and charge at Pelennor Fields (The Return of the King).

2. Rohirrim charge at Helm's Deep (The Two Towers).

3. Haldir and Elves arrival to Helm's Deep (The Two Towers).

4. Scene after Teal'c have shooted stand of "Ark of Truth" (SG The Ark of Truth)

5. Luke vs Vader scene where he can't hold his anger (Return of the Jedi).

Yes, I'm Lord of the Ring fan :whatever:.

Terminator lowering into the lave
terminator2thumbsup.jpg

Ash gets his Chainsaw
evil-dead-2.jpg

Halloween ending
[YT]H4EhApWlJz0[/YT]

Transformation scene from An American Werewolf In London
american_werewolf_in_london.jpg

Luke Freaks out and starts hammering at Vader till his hand gets cut off.
untitled-1.jpg

one of my personal favorite (if not all time favorite) moment is the "Forth Eorlingas" from The Two Towers. such an amazing scene , Really incredible movies, all three...simply in a&#65279; class all their own. Revolving around valor and courage and heroism. And this part in The Two Towers is definitely the best part of the movie...friends arrive, hope is restored. Simply outstanding.....not to mention when Aragorn and Gimli go to town on the Uruk-hai on the bridge - gotta love it - check out the vid if you've never watched the films before
[YT]ZpwsKRpKS_M[/YT]

Was hard decide what is better than other but I came up this now:

1. Theoden arrival and charge at Pelennor Fields (The Return of the King).

2. Rohirrim charge at Helm's Deep (The Two Towers).

3. Haldir and Elves arrival to Helm's Deep (The Two Towers).

4. Scene after Teal'c have shooted stand of "Ark of Truth" (SG The Ark of Truth)

5. Luke vs Vader scene where he can't hold his anger (Return of the Jedi).

Yes, I'm Lord of the Ring fan :whatever:.

You have a pretty awesome taste in movies :up:

The Fountain - ooohh, the cinematography and score are AMAZING, gives me chills everytime

The ending to Aguirre: Der Zorn Gottes is truly something to behold. A fever fueled Kinski monologue and spot-on camerawork coupled with trippy music. Just ragged perfection.

The assassination scene in The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford. A dance of death, with gorgeous music. The emotion in Rockwell's and Aflleck's performances there is staggering.

The scene in Children of Men where they run into that bulding whilst the war is going on around them. Then she gives birth to the baby in the building, and they walk out. EVERYONE just stops fighting and looks on in awe. Truly one of THE most amazing scenes in cinematic history.

Won't let me embed it so here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuZSmSBLWAg&feature=related

Now those who know me know I'm not exactly a sensitive soul, but this brought me so close to tears. And I don't really know why.

I second that emotion. The Usual Suspects-When agent Kujan realizes who he'd been talking to.

The ending of Memories of Murder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"