The Al Gore Thread: 'Former Vice-Presidential' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, it doesn't invalidate either.
the extent of the outrage is ridiculous though, since MY argument isn't "there are people worse so why bother" My argument is that this thread has nothing new on it.
for starters, this was an issue like a year ago when people wanted valid reasons to NOT "believe" that man has an effect on his eco-system.
solution?

But there's nothing here about believing man has an effect on the ecosystem, this is solely about one man being a hypocrite and getting called on it.

let's hate Al Gore.
browse through the threads I have made you'll notice I have never said

" Bush Hypocrite?" because that's both ridiculous and inconsequential.

I'm not saying you have, but gore's won a nobel peace prize for this very topic and I'd say that alone would make it relevant and consequential.

I don't remember arguing that.
I don't remember saying he wasn't, I don;t think it's important, like the Wright thing.
it's noise, like always.
people with interests that **** up the world live for this ****, because then, they can point at this as if it WAS important and by endlessly discussin non-issues like these we fall into their game.
:huh: :up:
I remember when every other article that touted the "global warming hoax" spoke with derision of "gore and his followers" like it was a church galvanizing all sorts of idiots into believing that not doing anything about the environment was a way to stick it to Al Gore.

I wasn't refuting you on this, just stating my feelings. I'm not the best at seperating the two when I'm writting so I apologize for the misunderstanding. And while I agree with you that there are people that salivate for this type of news these are the same that salivate for news of the religious right getting nailed for prostitution.

Personally I think the envirnmental movenment will do better by distancing themselves from gore and making the issue about every day citizens. If you want a symbolic figure pick planet earth, not someone that makes a considerable profit off the envirnment by telling people to do as I say and not as I do.

:huh: now we are on to inconvenient truth?
to be an environmentalist all you have to do is give up a fraction of your convenience like Stormin' Norman said, that's what this is all about, people like their convenience and they don;t like to take responsibility for their actions and their impact on their environment, the best way to continue as such? find a scapegoat.
"well, since I can't do nothin' for the dad gum environment I ain't gonna! a-hiuk!" :whatever:
the fact that the simple double standard you mentioned applies to every single politician and yet none of them have threads made about them is an example of how this isn't even about Gore anymore.

No, to make change you have to sacrifice. Look at what Jman said about laying off the AC and being responsible several posts back. Being rich enough doesn't excuse you from being held to the same accountability by "buying back" the damage you do. You don't get to murder someone then offset it by saving someones life by paying for their medical coverage.

no, that's incorrect there are not "plenty of threads knocking various politicians " at all, and you KNOW this.
the reason I'm using Bush is that acting outraged at a guy that has a large house and has been on the environmental train for the last 30 or 40 years is ridiculous when there's a WAR going on, what importance does Gora have in the scheme of things anyway he isn't even a scientist for god's sake!

I don't actually, and maybe I'm wrong on this, but I've never had to look far to find someone bashing damn near everything in existence on here.

Gore would have less importance if he wasn't as recognized and acknowledged by the world scientific community.

And I agree the war is more important, but that doesn't mean nothing else matters.

I don't think I have ever said, are you sure it's me you wanted to quote?

Again that was more a general comment than directed at you, sorry.

I call ******** on that.
sorry, but I do.

That's your right, it would be more convincing with like facts and evidence but calling ******** is a perfectly acceptable debate strategy. He does make money from the movie and lectures, and he does tell people to modify their behavior and lifestyles in ways he himself outright does not adhere to. He plays this off by using money (some of which is made from the movie and his lectures) to buy his way clean with the envirnment.

Oh lord, it is such a ridiculous prospect. Why the hell would Gore go back to being VP? He makes more as a lobbyist (yes, Gore is by definition an enviromental lobbyist...so apparently Obama is now willing to take endorsements from lobbyists :cwink:). He did not have presidential aspirations in this election (and he would have won. Studies show he would've taken about 30-40 % of both Clinton supporters and Obama supporters and basically all Edwards supporters), so why would he do a 180 and become VP again? The prospect of Gore taking the second seat again is nothing more than foolish fantasizing.

While it may be foolish fantasizing for some, I do think that, in this election of the unexpected, it is not out of the realm of possibility. Gore has the experience everyone believes Obama lacks, he will be a major player on environmental and defense issues, and he'll be in a position to finally take the White House in 2016.

The chances that this will happen are incredibly, minutely slim... but never the less, something tells me that Obama and Gore have at least discussed the prospect, and that the coyness on his campaign's behalf is not coincidental...

But the thread is not titled "Al Gore's message is a load of **** because Al Gore is a hypocrite." Hell, most people criticizing him have said "It does not invalidate his message...but..." This thread is about Al Gore's character, not his message.

Ah, they say that. But the reason this is being run in loop on Fox News is it is being used as a way to undermine Al Gore and therefore everything he says. They are not saying, but implying "If he does not take it seriously, why should we?" It plays in the small but vocal notion that Gore exaggerates the problem for attention, as he is an egomaniac. Look no further than the brilliant (but imo, wrong) send-up South Park did with "man-bear pig." I meet many people who hate Al Gore and don't believe in Global Warming. Now that he is a global figure again and just recently endorsed Obama, conservative media (which odes exist) is using it as a way to undermine the man and thus Obama. But far worse than being used against a fellow politician (who is ridiculously worshipped)...it undermines a valid and urgent concern he has raised to national notice with his movie (even if it is overpraised). It is running as a major news item, because it sells and it sells because it casts doubt on the man and therefore what he says.

AL GORE TO BUY ENVIRONMENTAL MAGAZINE?
http://www.portfolio.com/views/blog.../al-gore-to-buy-environmental-magazine-plenty

24_big.jpg
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/18/palin.appeal/index.html

I think it's brilliant move. If the Obama Administration screws up somehow with the Green Policy he can't lay the blame on Gore. Gore can simply say "I wouldn't have done that". Very smart young padawan :woot:

I wonder if he exuded sulfur or salmon like odors.......

Breaking News!

After 40 years of marriage, Al Gore and Tipper Gore are seperating.

:eek:

Breaking News!

After 40 years of marriage, Al Gore and Tipper Gore are seperating.

:eek:

Maybe Tipper was tired of Al's obsession over ManBearPig. His obsession is super serial.

It's surprising because of the length of their marriage.

That marriage has prolly been dead since 96. They at least had the willpower not to cheat.

I hope.

:thing: :doom: :thing:

Wow. After 40 years. Kudos to them for having the guts to seperate if they're no longer in love and not just stay together for PR.

Sigh. I miss Al Gore. I wish he ran for president in 2008. He could've perfectly exploited the Clinton/Obama fight to his advantage to swoop right in and take the nomination.

Its funny, everything Al Gore lacked in 2000, which caused him to lose (or keep it close enough for Bush to steal the election, depending on how you view it), he had gained by 2008 (more charisma, a better public image, a sense of humor, etc)...yet he lost his presidential ambitions entirely.

Wow. After 40 years. Kudos to them for having the guts to seperate if they're no longer in love and not just stay together for PR.

Sigh. I miss Al Gore. I wish he ran for president in 2008. He could've perfectly exploited the Clinton/Obama fight to his advantage to swoop right in and take the nomination.

I have always thought that Gore would have made a great president.
Its funny, everything Al Gore lacked in 2000, which caused him to lose (or keep it close enough for Bush to steal the election, depending on how you view it), he had gained by 2008 (more charisma, a better public image, a sense of humor, etc)...yet he lost his presidential ambitions entirely.

That is still my view.

Appearances on Saturday Night Live I think helped Gore's public image....also his actual mention in real life of ManBearPig, thanks to South Park. It showed he has a sense of humor.

I have always thought that Gore would have made a great president.

I believe that as well. He may not have been the best campaigner or candidate (at least not in 2000), but he would've made a hell of a president, I think.

That is still my view.

After ten years to put it in perspective, I honestly believe, Bush would've narrowly won Florida. However, the Supreme Court should've just let the Florida Supreme Court's decision stand and the votes be counted. The fact that they weren't will forever taint the 2000 Election and Bush's presidency..

I'm surprised that Al & Tipper would divorce; seems like they were the picture of a perfect political couple, and lacked any scandals that Clinton has had with his wife, Hillary. But I think it's courageous for them to finally call it quits, instead of keeping it up for PR reasons or political ambition. I too felt that Gore would've been a great president; guess we will never ever know how he would've turned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"