The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they shouldnt call the movie Aquaman. I think that name is the corniest thing about him, to the GA.

Perhaps they could follow the dc movie universe thing and call the movie "King of Atlantis".

In movie, Aquaman could just be a name that the media gives him, but people always just refer to him as Arthur.

Never happen. The name "Aquaman" will be in the title regarless of how corny it is. Sorry.

Needs to be called Aquaman, by the logic you just used Superman is corny.

"Superman", like "Batman" and "Spider-Man", is so burned into people's minds, they don't think of it as corny. Mostly. The same isn't true for "Aquaman".

Maybe they shouldnt call the movie Aquaman. I think that name is the corniest thing about him, to the GA.

Perhaps they could follow the dc movie universe thing and call the movie "King of Atlantis".

In movie, Aquaman could just be a name that the media gives him, but people always just refer to him as Arthur.

Agree like King of Atlantis better....... [....]man I think those are lazy titles.

Also like Legend of Atlantis.....thats one is awesome.

Well the new movie isn't called Superman... it's called Man of Steel.

ditto. logic:yay:

Last edited:
and he has been clean shaven for years too and is his universal look

sorry it just seems cliche to give him a beard to try and make him like a bad ass like thor

what wrong with this aquaman:huh:

I like Aquaman better like that.

like someone said, the bearded, long hair make him look uncool. Johns Aquaman is how AC should be on the big screen

Umm dont like Alexander whathissurname as Aquaman, thats one popular fancast I will never understand. Dude looks like a villain, wont buy him in any hero role.

King of Atlantis would be better for a sequel. Call the first Aquaman.

Never happen. The name "Aquaman" will be in the title regarless of how corny it is. Sorry.
And watching the Superfriends or hearing the countless jokes about Aquaman doesn't already confirm how corny he is?

No it doesn't. Those cartoons are not an accurate depiction of Aquaman.

Well the new movie isn't called Superman... it's called Man of Steel.

That's not the point he said we shouldn't call HIM Aquaman he said just call him Arthur. Superman is still Superman in the new film, hell even Nolan's first film had Batman in the title and he is Batman in the movie. So really this argument doesn't hold much weight. If you want to change it for a sequel sure but for a new film that is launching a hero, you would almost have to name it after the title character.

Aquaman works. You just need the right presentation of the title. It adds mythos to it if done right.

I'm not mocking the character I'm sure Aquaman has legions of fans but why is so hard for the fans to accept that Aquaman just doesn't work for a mainstream audience?

Wasn't the failed TV-pilot Mercy Reef proof of that? and yet here we are with the studios shoving it down our throats with multiple scripts and false promises we're better off with that flake Adrian Grunyon? Groin? Groening? Groan? doing his Entourage bit.

I'm not mocking the character I'm sure Aquaman has legions of fans but why is so hard for the fans to accept that Aquaman just doesn't work for a mainstream audience?

Wasn't the failed TV-pilot Mercy Reef proof of that? and yet here we are with the studios shoving it down our throats with multiple scripts and false promises we're better off with that flake Adrian Grunyon? Groin? Groening? Groan? doing his Entourage bit.

It's hard to accept and rather silly to accept because if characters like Thor, Blade, all of the X-men and countless other odd character choices work for mainstream audiences why shouldn't Aquaman?

Did you watch Mercy Reef? It was pretty decent and sold really well when released on iTunes, it never premiered that doesn't mean it failed. Lots of pilots never air and are actually REALLY good.

And watching the Superfriends or hearing the countless jokes about Aquaman doesn't already confirm how corny he is?

I dont hate superfriends, hack I only ever so a few clips on youtube out of curiousity, its not really something I like for any hero, dont get me wrong Its not because its bad. I have respect for it, as many DC shows do and pay tribute to that show, it served its purpose back then, its just too outdated for me and likely my generation. Why judge Aquaman based on one adaptatation, this is a character that has existed for decades and still does now almost 2013, yet people are still hung up on some kid cartoon's depiction of AC from a long time ago (1973-77) , lolwhut. I got to know Aquaman through Smallville and he was badass, then I wanted to know more of the character and started to read some of his comics, then saw him in JL unlimited, saw a bit of the character in brave and bold, he was a bit comical in that show but I dont care really some shows are not meant to be taken seriously, Brave and bold is one of those shows were everything is a parody.

Now Im watching the character in Young Justice, a really good show and Aquaman is so far removed from how he is in superfriends and B&B. I watched the CW Aquaman pilot and I liked it. He has a badass comic book too , so really why you and some people still judging Aquaman on some kid cartoon from long ago , the character has gone through many transformations, updating since then, he is more than just a hero who can communicate with sea life (as people like to say talk to fish), he is more than a hero who was used for comic relief in superfriends and Brave and bold. I dont care if people hate Aquaman, they are very much free to but I dislike it when people have these misconception of Aquaman and dont even bother to get updated and informed about the character, yet act like they know all about him based on his superfriends depiction or a few other outdated stuff, who is the running joke here???. :huh::funny:

He worked in smallville didnt he, as well as in other DC cartoons, the Mercy reef pilot worked, the person in judge of the network at the time was just too stupid to pick it up, she wanted the usual CW soap teeny shows, things have changed a bit now hence why Arrow was lucky & got picked up, a few years ago people would have said Green Arrow would never work on TV, he was lame etc, heck they are people who were even doubting the show without superman or batman would ever go to to series let alone get a full season, and now look. The Aquaman pilot had millions of itunes downloads, and millions of views on youtube, fans were crying for the pilot to go to series, people who didnt even know what an Aquaman was wanted to see more. So yes Aquaman works in mainstream as been proven. DC knows now they have a badass superhero in Aquaman, and hat they havent always used him right or maximised his full potential. He just needs another shot now, at the right time, with the right people and its coming one day. :yay:.

Last edited:

Dude, this post is not coming from a die hard fan of the Aquaman comics. I only know Aquaman in passing. I was searching, much like Christopher Nolan in looking for a property to tell Nolan's realistic take on a superhero and stumbling upon Batman, and found this as the key property to explore a very personal and mythic story. I've always wanted to tell the story about an orphan who was adopted, had to go back to its home planet, and later find out that he's royalty after saving the planet. I'm an orphan/adoptee who has always felt like I came from another planet. So it's always been a really strong story that I've wanted to tell. First, however, I explored to see if there were any great comic properties to explore that within and stumbled upon Aquaman. My interest comes not from a fanship of the character, I only know Aquaman in passing, rather the dynamics of AC's journey and how epic his mythos can be when presented in this realistic light. Thus, why is Hollywood interested? Well, as someone in Hollywood who is interested, I can flat out say it's because Aquaman is a mythic character who almost has more of a tie to ancient mythological stories than many other heroes. It's traditional in that sense. Have his roots dived into and not only can you show this really poignant character story but also present this fascinating world and action sequences which have never been seen before.

As said, this is coming from a guy who - like Nolan - stumbled upon the property and found it filled with riches to explore.

He just needs another shot now, at the right time, with the right people and its coming one day. :yay:.

That day is readily drawing in closer. :cwink:

Last edited:
Why is it so hard for people to understand that if the corny Captain America and the obscure Iron Man can work, why couldn't Aquaman?

Why is it so hard for people to understand that if the corny Captain America and the obscure Iron Man can work, why couldn't Aquaman?

Two reasons:

1. The problems with both characters are largely in execution, not concept. The core of the concepts can be done entirely seriously in a modern context. Aquaman, OTOH, has a core concept that is "magic land secret prince" straight out of a fairy tale, which is much more problematic to do in a non-campy manner.

2. Both said characters were by and large *unknown*. People might have heard the name and had a vague image, but for most people, they might as well have been new characters. Aquaman, by contrast, is actually moderately well known. . . as a useless punchline of a joke.

This is not to say an Aquaman movie would be impossible, but it would be much, much harder to do than a good Cap or Iron Man adaptation. Its closest analog would be the Thor adaptation, except with a whole bunch of added handicaps.

I think its the 'fish power' thing that makes people laugh, because they think that's his main power. "the guy who can control fish..."

Right but the movie is supposed to change that perspective. Looking at any superhero you could think a power is lame. All Iron Man had was a suit of armor, that could have been looked at as lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"