The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the Water Bearer story was great, and probably the best the character has ever been in my opinion, it's the sorta thing you have to build up to. Fact is, and I think you're missing this key point, he wasn't any more popular when he had those powers than he was before. So, you know, Hawkman of the sea isn't a guaranteed come up for the character.

Right now, his books selling better than it has in years. You know why? Decent writing. Quite frankly, that's all you really need. Not gimmicks. No powers out of nowhere.

Thank you for the sense.

You don't like Aquaman. We get it.

THATS THE THING ITS NOT JUST ME!

Ask anybody on the street and they will tell you Aquaman is lame. He needs to be tweaked, keeping him the way he is will not lead to success on the big screen.

Additionally the water bearer story happened at a different time and was aimed toward a different audience than that of today and the general public respectively.

Ask anybody on the street and they will tell you Aquaman is lame. He needs to be tweaked, keeping him the way he is will not lead to success on the big screen.
Most people don't know who he is, but what do i know? I Don't live in the USA, what do you think should be changed?

So let me get this straight cause I can't believe what I'm hearing from YOU PEOPLE.

Superman can use x-ray vision, freeze breath, super speed, WW can use her lasso/tiara and can fly, Batman can use smoke pellets, Batarangs etc, Flash has super speed, Green Lantern has the power ring, Martian Manhunter can go intangible and shapeshift, Cyborg can use advanced gun fire.

All Aquaman can do in a land based fight is fight with his fists and Trident. Are you ****ing serious? So he needs to be in the water to have any sort of uniqueness, so now every fight the JL has has to be conveniently placed near water?

Let this guy be able to control small portions of water, please, just give him some uniqueness on the battlefield. He has already been shown to be able to do it, it should be a prominent part of his character, especially in JL teamups where he is mostly land based. It would be so cool.

Lol I'm asking all these random people I know and they don't give a **** about Aquaman, you gotta make some tweaks, its the only way.

Ask those same people on the street to tell you anything substantial about Aquaman's character, and they won't be able to tell you a thing other than, "he's a good swimmer." They think he's lame because they don't know anything about him. He doesn't need to be changed, he just needs to be adapted well.

Many people would have called Thor lame before his movie too, remembering his appearances in The Incredible Hulk TV show and Adventures in Babysitting.

Last edited:
Most people don't know who he is, but what do i know? I Don't live in the USA, what do you think should be changed?

Actually it's the opposite over here in USA. Most people know at the very least what Aquaman looks like, or have heard of him. He's been parodied in popular culture and a lot of people remember Superfriends.

I propose for starters, get rid of the bright orange Scale Mail and give him dark orange Scale Mail, he looks ridiculous in the bright orange, it's hard to take him seriously. Then give his land game some uniqueness by allowing him to control any water source he see's, like pools, pipes, water fountains, etc. Unlocks a whole devastating array of possible moves.

No they don't.

Most people in the US don't know s**t about Aquaman except the fish thing. As evidenced by your own ignorance.

They don't know anything. That is why you do a movie. That is why you educate them.

While the Water Bearer story was great, and probably the best the character has ever been in my opinion, it's the sorta thing you have to build up to. Fact is, and I think you're missing this key point, he wasn't any more popular when he had those powers than he was before. So, you know, Hawkman of the sea isn't a guaranteed come up for the character.

Right now, his books selling better than it has in years. You know why? Decent writing. Quite frankly, that's all you really need. Not gimmicks. No powers out of nowhere.

Exactly. His current one shows good he could be when written well and taken seriously.

Actually it's the opposite over here in USA. Most people know at the very least what Aquaman looks like, or have heard of him. He's been parodied in popular culture and a lot of people remember Superfriends.

I propose for starters, get rid of the bright orange Scale Mail and give him dark orange Scale Mail, he looks ridiculous in the bright orange, it's hard to take him seriously. Then give his land game some uniqueness by allowing him to control any water source he see's, like pools, pipes, water fountains, etc. Unlocks a whole devastating array of possible moves.

1) The color of the scales doesn't need to change. It can be orange, and its brightness can vary depending on the light source of the setting he's in. I imagine it could look great if done well.

2) Hydrokinesis should be left to Mera, but if he does need to have it, it can be an ability accessible through his Trident. Besides that, his abilities are fine. I'd love to see him in combat using his trident on land, would make for some great choreographed fights.

So let me get this straight cause I can't believe what I'm hearing from YOU PEOPLE.

Superman can use x-ray vision, freeze breath, super speed, WW can use her lasso/tiara and can fly, Batman can use smoke pellets, Batarangs etc, Flash has super speed, Green Lantern has the power ring, Martian Manhunter can go intangible and shapeshift, Cyborg can use advanced gun fire.

All Aquaman can do in a land based fight is fight with his fists and Trident. Are you ****ing serious? So he needs to be in the water to have any sort of uniqueness, so now every fight the JL has has to be conveniently placed near water?

Let this guy be able to control small portions of water, please, just give him some uniqueness on the battlefield. He has already been shown to be able to do it, it should be a prominent part of his character, especially in JL teamups where he is mostly land based. It would be so cool.

Lol I'm asking all these random people I know and they don't give a **** about Aquaman, you gotta make some tweaks, its the only way.

so you want him to be a water bender?:oldrazz:

Wow, I can't believe how close minded you think the GA is. Your example of Thor only validates what we are saying. You didn't need to change his powers to make him accessible did you?

I'm actually looking at, hopefully, adapting this property or at the very least pitching my take on it. I'll admit, like Nolan, I didn't know much about the character before heading into it and that I'll bring a Aquaman fan with me. But, to me, Aquaman has the same potential in becoming as serious as the dark knight and man of steel. The MOS teaser really reminded me of the tone I want. Also the trailer for the Collin Farrell mermaid movie (in atmosphere).

The guy who said the GA doesn't know much about Aquaman is right. Hell, when telling my friends they still joke about Entourage. You don't need to change anything. You just need to put it in the right light.

AC's story is very classical and his origins dare I say it - biblical. I'm coming at this as a film about an orphan boy who was drawn back to the sea to become its guardian. This is a very human story. I'm an adoptee from another country, if I go 'home' their culture and way of life will be lost to me. In doing my homework I prepare to head home to just a get a feeling of what the reality of that would be like.

I was basically drawn in because I wanted to find both a superhero property and legendary orphan story that I could bring personal experience to. Along the way of finding out more in the initial stages, I was just really fascinated by all the imagery I saw and how strong this character's world is. One scene I envision is Aquaman riding a whale with a flock of sea creatures behind him towards a navy ship.

250048-139561-aquaman_super.jpg

Aquaman, or at least the first film (I see myself handing it over from there if I'm lucky enough to start things off), should be a story of discovery. Of a young man who doesn't know his past and in an epic journey discovers it and becomes a man. A king.

I gave a more detailed summary pages back. But, the thing is - there is a lot that can be done with this character to make him stick out to people. And I think the key there is really humanizing him. And, as said, hopefully I'll get this thing off the ground and after what I'm working on now - I just very may be able to.

Reason why I posted- nothing about him needs to change, you just need to find that right angle that can leave an impact. And to me his origins are so strong that they'll undoubtedly do that.

Last edited:
Why does orange look more ridiculous than, say... bright red or bright blue? I don't understand the thinking behind it. The only thing with orange is the exotic feel to it, and that it's an unusual color for superheroes. But visually, it won't look more silly than any other hero. We just have to get used to seeing the color, that's all.
An Aquaman live action pesentation will not be like the other superheroes we've seen. This is something else, something very unique.

But to my old question again. Should the film deal with any environmental issues? I guess it's not interesting to discuss, or what? Come on dudes!

AC's story is very classical and his origins dare I say it - biblical. I'm coming at this as a film about an orphan boy who was drawn back to the sea to become its guardian.

250048-139561-aquaman_super.jpg
should be a story of discovery. Of a young man who doesn't know his past and in an epic journey discovers it and becomes a man. A king.
All of this sounds just right for Aquaman. And it sounds really good too.
The picture looks awesome. Almost like he's a saviour from the sea.
The golden shine is majestic and royal. His suit could be his actual king's outfit

Last edited:
Why does orange look more ridiculous than, say... bright red or bright blue? I don't understand the thinking behind it. The only thing with orange is the exotic feel to it, and that it's an unusual color for superheroes. But visually, it won't look more silly than any other hero. We just have to get used to seeing the color, that's all.
An Aquaman live action pesentation will not be like the other superheroes we've seen. This is something else, something very unique.

But to my old question again. Should the film deal with any environmental issues? I guess it's not interesting to discuss, or what? Come on dudes!

All of this sounds just right for Aquaman. And it sounds really good too.
The picture looks awesome. Almost like he's the saviour from the sea.
The golden shine is majestic and royal. His suit could be his actual king's outfit

I think it's supposed to be gold or bronze.

I don't want to say much, but you would have that with one villain due to his background being his grown hatred for the sea. He has a serious psychological problem due to a traumatic event in his early childhood that he wasn't able to cope with. Other than that, I see him as just wanting to protect his home throughout life and there's a way to do that without getting too bogged down on politics. For example, one scene I have in mind - since this really doesn't say much, but it's the main place it's seen - is him breaking sea animals out of an aquarium; but in a really rebellious prison-break sort of way. The scene is more there to present his strong will, rebellious streak, and being a protector. Nothing too environmental. Or I guess overall I just look at it more as AC protecting his home world than protecting the seas like an outsider would.

Ah okay. You guys are under the impression that if you educate people about Aquaman, that automatically makes him less ridiculous. That automatically makes his powers cool, that automatically makes his suit cool, that automatically makes Aquaman unique on a land based battlefield.

I tried, I really did, but nobody in this topic seems understand that Aquaman. Is. Not. Cool. In. His. Current. Form. He needs to be tweaked.

his current form is better than his past form. His current form is a high selling comic book.

I dont know how that doesnt mean he's cool. I agree that there are things that have to be tweaked but in the comic book community Aquaman is at a high. They just need to transfer that into film

They just need to transfer that into film

Exactly.

KingMadness you have been unable to go anywhere beyond, "aquaman sucks because I said so." When people have asked you why - you basically still say "because I said so." You have been unable to point out anything about him that makes him lesser than. That's why we don't put much stock into it. You have yet to pinpoint anything. This is the aquaman people know:

And yes, that obviously needs to be changed from tone into this:

Black-Manta-Aquaman-Badass.png

But not because of the comics at all. Just like the masses always thought Batman was Adam West before Tim Burton came along and all he did was adapt the tone that was already popular in comics for years. And that's Batman!

In film form, Aquaman has the most to offer because his tale is more biblical in a sense. Or at least his origin story is which is what really draws me to it as something I'm hoping to jump onto next. I've made one mythological figure into an action hero that most people would initially squander away as well - but, that one's gaining ground... pretty sure I can do the same here. It's all in the way something is presented. And if there's three staples I'll become known for soon enough it's - thinking outside of the box, mythological creatures, and a legendary orphan journey.

Last edited:
I wouldn't focus on the whole environmental thing until a sequel. Gotta establish the world he lives in first.

Last edited:
Don't really think it needs an environmental approach really. To us, land dwellers, it would be seen as such. But in the film/s it should be more protecting your literal home. Like someone threatening to drop nukes on the US, that's not environmentalism fighting back- that's fighting for one's home. Unsure where the sequel will go, they might go more environmental but personally think it - to AC- wouldn't be viewed that way.

I think the best approach is the Game of Thrones type "throne room drama" with everyone fighting to get, keep, or destroy the throne of Atlantis. I think that'd go over well.

Also make Arthur/Orin a new king will work better than having him established would be better

Last edited:
Ah okay. You guys are under the impression that if you educate people about Aquaman, that automatically makes him less ridiculous. That automatically makes his powers cool, that automatically makes his suit cool, that automatically makes Aquaman unique on a land based battlefield.

I tried, I really did, but nobody in this topic seems understand that Aquaman. Is. Not. Cool. In. His. Current. Form. He needs to be tweaked.

His current form is one of the highest selling books on the market and he has been pushed to the forefront by DC. You don't seem to know anything about him and just see to want to spew Aquaman hate for no reason.

I think the best approach is the Game of Thrones type "throne room drama" with everyone fighting to get, keep, or destroy the throne of Atlantis. I think that'd go over well.

Also make Arthur/Orin a new king will work better than having him established would be better

Sounds good.

There's really no reason an AQUAMAN movie couldn't be a mixture of that kind of thing with some of the environmental aspects, and the more classic trappings of Aquaman's mythology.

There's really no reason an AQUAMAN movie couldn't be a mixture of that kind of thing with some of the environmental aspects, and the more classic trappings of Aquaman's mythology.

Exactly. But, my question to long-time fans is - is there anything more 'environmental' than someone just wanting to protect his home world or is it just that the notion of wanting to protect the sea is seen as environmentalism? As said, for example, just see it as aliens invading our planet or a world war and having to protect your home turf from conquering invaders who want to do your home harm -- is there anything 'environmental' beyond that which I should look into?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"