Comics The Amazing Spider-Man 616 general discussion

First of all, I'm sick of the Ramos bashing. :cmad:

I like his style and I'm thrilled he's still on the book. :yay:

As for Romita Sr., of course I like his style, but I prefer the later Romita Sr., late 60's/early 70's. Actually, some of my favorite art is around the death of Gwen Stacy, when Gil Kane did the pencils and Romita did the inks. :up:

Now, I have a question about this:

This is probably my favorite standalone Spider-Man comic book. Ever.

Spectacular_Spider-Man_Magazine_Vol_1_2.jpg

It was adapted into an episode of the 1990s animated series. So good… :D

This was a magazine, was it not? I just saw King Size Annual #9 (from 1973) with the same cover. My question is, I believe this Annual is a reprint of the above magazine, only in comic book form. As I don't have either, I just wanted to check. The story in here (in the magazine above) was original, right, not reprints (like Marvel Tales use to do). As in this was an in canon story that was never in Amazing Spider-Man. If so, I should pick it up, since it's reasonable and Gobby's my favorite villain.

I'm sure Otto will stick around somehow. Superior has been too successful.

No one was bashing him (yet). I just think he's been there a while now and it's time to get new blood in the mix. Marvel said a while ago when ASM 698 came out that they would love to get Richard Elson back on the book. I think an ASM relaunch would be a perfect time.

I like his style and I'm thrilled he's still on the book. :yay:

As for Romita Sr., of course I like his style, but I prefer the later Romita Sr., late 60's/early 70's. Actually, some of my favorite art is around the death of Gwen Stacy, when Gil Kane did the pencils and Romita did the inks. :up:

Now, I have a question about this:

This was a magazine, was it not? I just saw King Size Annual #9 (from 1973) with the same cover. My question is, I believe this Annual is a reprint of the above magazine, only in comic book form. As I don't have either, I just wanted to check. The story in here (in the magazine above) was original, right, not reprints (like Marvel Tales use to do). As in this was an in canon story that was never in Amazing Spider-Man. If so, I should pick it up, since it's reasonable and Gobby's my favorite villain.

THERE ya go... :up:

No one was bashing him (yet). I just think he's been there a while now and it's time to get new blood in the mix. Marvel said a while ago when ASM 698 came out that they would love to get Richard Elson back on the book. I think an ASM relaunch would be a perfect time.

god, I LOVED that guy's work on that issue... wish he WOULD become permanent new artist for ANY Spidey title... my second choice being Dexter Soy...

This story (Spectacular Spider-Man #2) takes place around ASM #65... it's canon and it counts.

Norman was acting batty in ASM around that time... and it culminates in this magazine.

:yay:

Actually, I'd like a Ramos, Stegman, and Romita Jr. rotation.

THERE ya go... :up:

This story (Spectacular Spider-Man #2) takes place around ASM #65... it's canon and it counts.

Norman was acting batty in ASM around that time... and it culminates in this magazine.

:yay:

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't reprinting any Amazing issues and was it's own story. It's Romita Sr. and Stan Lee, right?

Yes, I believe so. Its a fantastic story, definitely worth getting.

Actually, I'd like a Ramos, Stegman, and Romita Jr. rotation.

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't reprinting any Amazing issues and was it's own story. It's Romita Sr. and Stan Lee, right?

yeah, it IS...

Im glad Ramos is still on the book. His art is just fun to look at and as stylized as it is, its extremely detail oriented. Stegman I feel gets worse with every issue, while Camuncolli or whatever his name is has steadily gotten better, I used to hate his art. I wish Paolo Rivera would do full issues still. his Superior team up covers are amazing.

I wish John Romita Jr. would come back to draw TASM. I loved his work from the early 2000s (Straczynski era).

I wish John Romita Jr. would come back to draw TASM. I loved his work from the early 2000s (Straczynski era).

Same! His lenses are good. Plus, whoever was coloring with him at the time sealed the deal.

I have to mention Joe Bennett who also drew around the same time. Pre-JMS I think. I love his work.

Yes, I agree completely. Though I heard that Romita Jr. preferred doing work for Daredevil, so IDK if he would come back. Its probably because while drawing Spider-Man, he felt as if he couldn't live up to his father's work.

If you look at what Romita Jr. did back in the 80s, his artwork was completely different. It was almost mimicking Romita Sr.'s drawing style.

Yes, I agree completely. Though I heard that Romita Jr. preferred doing work for Daredevil, so IDK if he would come back. Its probably because while drawing Spider-Man, he felt as if he couldn't live up to his father's work.

If you look at what Romita Jr. did back in the 80s, his artwork was completely different. It was almost mimicking Romita Sr.'s drawing style.

Ah I see. Must be a "comparison complex" of some sort.

I liked his 80's style better than his current look... Had an obvious Paul Smith influence...

IDK, I prefer the current style of Romita Jr., but to each their own! :up:

Is "The Gathering of the Sinister Six" canon with the 616 Marvel universe?

if you're talking about the book, I say no... books have no connections to the comics... it's the comics that are true canon...

I've been told that it is actually canon, but IDK if that's true or not.

Hehe I understand. Though I think there was a reference to it in one of the comic books from the 90s. Don't remember which though.

However, I think that book (and the two book sequels) stand out as good stories on their own, generally building off of what has been established in the 616 universe.

I've always been of the belief that whatever happens in books, the animateds, movies and whatever other various media that Spidey appears in, in no way has any connection as to what goes on in the comics... each one is it's own universe separate from the comic titles... none of what happens in those other media affects what goes on in the comics...

I could be wrong here but I believe the Gentleman is referenced in a comic book. Can anyone verify that for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"