The Amazing Spider-Man "The Amazing Spider-Man" In The Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion

I can't read a post-OMD story. It seems forced and like the character betrayed everything he was to get him to a point where editorial deems him most profitable. I've tried to read a few issues since and it just feels false to me.
Never read OMD, didn't really care to. But Big Time has been a really cool arc IMO. We get to see Peter being a science nerd to the max and the new suits he designs are pretty sweet. I even started liking his new girlfriend, although we all know he's going to eventually get back with MJ somehow. Makes you wonder why they bothered in the first place, but oh well. It is what it is.

I still haven't read Ultimate Fallout and I've really been meaning to. I'm still not cool with Peter getting killed, but I'd like to see what happened.

I did read USM #160 and most of Fallout. It's actually been very well done. I'm not a particular fan of USM, but if you're going to "kill" Peter Parker and/or unmask to the world they did it right, unlike The Other or Civil War. Here, people's reactions felt in-character, genuine and authentic as opposed to the crap JMS pulled during Civil War (especially with JJJ and old characters like Liz Allen).

Anyway, I've read about three issues post-OMD and it feels false because first, it's like Peter reverted in age 7-10 years. He's acting like he's just out of college, unemployed, etc. when if it's really the same timeline he is in his late 20s, near 30, and still bouncing around without work, having one night stands, etc. It just feels....off.

But more than that the only reason he is here is because he made a Faustian deal. That was totally out of character and taints every single subsequent story. His current situation is based on a totally out-of-character retconn that kind of destroys everything the character represented. And it makes him hooking up with Carlie Cooper or whoever it is now seem cheesy and pointless.

Also, I heard what they did to Lizard (eats his own son and becomes a mutant living in the sewers), Hobgoblin (is beheaded) and Phil Urich (does the beheading). :dry: Let's not even get to ruining one of the great Spidey stories by bringing Harry Osborn back from the dead.

My opinion, of course.

I did read USM #160 and most of Fallout. It's actually been very well done. I'm not a particular fan of USM, but if you're going to "kill" Peter Parker and/or unmask to the world they did it right, unlike The Other or Civil War. Here, people's reactions felt in-character, genuine and authentic as opposed to the crap JMS pulled during Civil War (especially with JJJ and old characters like Liz Allen).

Anyway, I've read about three issues post-OMD and it feels false because first, it's like Peter reverted in age 7-10 years. He's acting like he's just out of college, unemployed, etc. when if it's really the same timeline he is in his late 20s, near 30, and still bouncing around without work, having one night stands, etc. It just feels....off.

But more than that the only reason he is here is because he made a Faustian deal. That was totally out of character and taints every single subsequent story. His current situation is based on a totally out-of-character retconn that kind of destroys everything the character represented. And it makes him hooking up with Carlie Cooper or whoever it is now seem cheesy and pointless.

Also, I heard what they did to Lizard (eats his own son and becomes a mutant living in the sewers), Hobgoblin (is beheaded) and Phil Urich (does the beheading). :dry: Let's not even get to ruining one of the great Spidey stories by bringing Harry Osborn back from the dead.

My opinion, of course.
USM has been some of the most genuine Spider-Man story telling I've seen in a while. Even though I'm not crazy about them killing off Peter, I won't deny that it wasn't written well. The fact that he died was actually very realistic. The world that was built around Ultimate Spidey was really harsh and unforgiving and it really did lead you to believe that he was digging his own grave. I hope he comes back in some shape or form, I really do. Call it wishful thinking.

I didn't read any of the OMD stuff simply for the fact that it sounded so ridiculous. They actually made fun of it in the Marvel/DC videos done by itsjustsomerandomguy.

Spidey: "Bats, I think I may have been married and forgot about it."
Then Superman and Batman talk about the Mephisto deal later and how ridiculous it is.

Big Time however I really did enjoy. Is it a departure? Yes, but it was one I've been wanting to see for a while. The writers really did everything they could with the mess OMD left behind and made something fun to read. I liked seeing Peter in his scientific element and using his smarts to fight his enemies. It's the biggest draw to his character for me. It was also drawn very well, which attracts me very easily. I especially like how he's lost his spider-sense and he's been trying to adapt to fighting without it. I don't know if Spider Island has started yet, but I'd like to see if that works out in any good way.

The Shed arc where Lizard kills Billy Connors was done very tastefully. It was pretty grim, but not in a way that overpowered Spidey. Lizard has now completely taken over Connors mind and it's very up in the air as to whether he'll come back or not. I gave a pretty lengthy summarization of it in the ASM movie thread if you wanna check it out.

How did Peter lose his Spider-Sense? I'd read the recent stories, but I don't have a comic store around here :S

How did Peter lose his Spider-Sense? I'd read the recent stories, but I don't have a comic store around here :S
Alister Smythe made a reappearance with some elite spider slayers, got Mac Gargan back in the Scorpion suit and went after Jameson and his family. He succeeded in killing someone but I can't remember who. Spidey learned while fighting Scorpion that Smythe had given him and the other Slayers a kind or precognitive sense that was very similar to his own, so he developed a kind of flash bomb with a chemical in it that would heavily suppress the ability and allow him and some Avengers to get the upper hand on them. He was going to plant the bomb as a trap, but events ensued and he ended up having to set it off while he was in the blast radius. It succeeded in knocking out the Slayers' senses, but at the expense of losing his own.

Since then he's been learning to cope without it. It's been cool to read too. He was swinging over to a crime scene when all of a sudden his line gave way under a loose piece of construction and he came crashing down on top of a cop car. He concluded that his spider sense not only helped him battle but it had been active for simple things like not web-swinging off of faulty construction. It forced him to construct a new, heavy duty, bulletproof suit that he had to use to take down an armed gunman. I'm guessing he'll get it back during Spider Island, but it's been cool seeing him try to get along without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"