• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spiderman 2 - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really, really liked it. In fact, in some ways I liked it more than Cap 2 (which I loved and had no criticism of). I particularly liked that it felt like it came out of a comic book. The humour, the action, the interaction between characters... just felt like the kind of Spiderman movie that I've been waiting for a very long time.

I suspect that I'm probably in the minority but I love that it is comic book like. I'm probably somewhat jaded with all the "grounded in reality" talk.

The only criticism I have of it is that it is very busy... there's a ton of stuff happening and everything happens very quickly.

I'm an older person and it really reminded me of the exhilaration of watching Spiderman cartoons and reading the older comics.

Andrew Garfield... I love that boy... What a fantastic actor and he really threw himself into the role.

I really, really liked it. In fact, in some ways I liked it more than Cap 2 (which I loved and had no criticism of). I particularly liked that it felt like it came out of a comic book. The humour, the action, the interaction between characters... just felt like the kind of Spiderman movie that I've been waiting for a very long time.

I suspect that I'm probably in the minority but I love that it is comic book like. I'm probably somewhat jaded with all the "grounded in reality" talk.

The only criticism I have of it is that it is very busy... there's a ton of stuff happening and everything happens very quickly.

I'm an older person and it really reminded me of the exhilaration of watching Spiderman cartoons and reading the older comics.

Andrew Garfield... I love that boy... What a fantastic actor and he really threw himself into the role.
Glad you enjoyed it! Also happy this isn't a film that would appeal to only younger viewers! :)

How does it compare to TASM1?

Glad you enjoyed it! Also happy this isn't a film that would appeal to only younger viewers! :)

How does it compare to TASM1?

I think it's as good or better. That, however, is my humble opinion.
That it is a busy film will probably annoy a lot of people but I was okay with it. My school aged child thought it was very intense and she cried a lot.

I've been a Spidey fan since my primary school days so I'm always thrilled to see him on screen. But Andrew Garfield just brings another dimension to the character

I'm actually surprised at the negative reactions but these days I think I'm turning into a film contrarian. I just don't think like everyone else. Cap 2, Iron Man 3 etc etc.
Sign of old age, most probably... :cwink:

I am really liking the TASM series thus far... the acting is much better than the Raimi/Maguire trilogy. And I don't say this lightly.

One thing I did appreciate about TASM1 is that it had a small "indy" feel to it. Going to miss that, but I guess it has to be bigger in terms of scope in order to be a sequel.

One thing I did appreciate about TASM1 is that it had a small "indy" feel to it. Going to miss that, but I guess it has to be bigger in terms of scope in order to be a sequel.

It is definitely a lot bigger in scope than TASM 1 in terms of how the villains are used but there are still little intimate moments between characters that are very sweet.

So I've got back from seeing the film, review as follows (Spoiler Free).

The biggest flaw I found with the first film was that it really felt like it took itself way too seriously and never really shifted in its story. The overall film was never bad but at the same time it felt like it was driving in first gear the entire time and repeating an all too familiar story (we never did get that 'untold origin' the trailers promised). With ASM2 the story is a lot wider however it's infused with a tone and execution that feels all over the place, with elements bordering on cartoonish at times. In fact the movie this reminded me of was Batman Forever which can be a good or bad things depending on where you stand with that movie.

A big problem with the movie is that it's not really clear what the story is meant to be about. There's so many plot elements that feel genuinely unfinished or rushed, in the end it kinda just comes across as a dressed up hero versus villain story with Spider-Man battling Goblin and Electro by the time the climax comes. Both Harry Osbournes and Max Dillon's arc fail to rise above anything other than a one dimensional level, the later's arc and motivations coming across like something from a cartoon, the former's relationship with Peter never really coming across as deep as it wants us to think making his turn less credible. For Peter's arc it too feels all over the place, his guilt over going back on his word to Gwen's dad is touched upon, forgotten about and and then touched upon later on, he's still looking for secrets about his parents which doesn't amount to much, and his relationship with Gwen feels completely underdeveloped. The other major elements that feel inconsistent is the tone of the film, it tries to straddle a line between fun and serious but the execution is way off with some parts of the film feeling outright silly. On top of that the score is some of the worst music I've heard in a superhero film in a very long time.

With that said however the undeniable redeeming feature with the movie is that whilst the story is bloated the film itself is at the very least still entertaining. I'm generally not a fan of of slow-mo action but if there's a character which suits that style of filmmaking it's Spider-Man. The action set pieces are fantastic and really show off Spider-Man's skill set extremely well. On top of that the design of the overall film is spectacular, the finale in particular deserves special mention. The new suit works great on screen, Electro looks brilliant and the Green Goblin actually looks frightening in what it a vast improvement over the Power Ranger suit we got 12 years ago. Even though the film is long it doesn't feel it's length at all, there's a briskness in the editing and the cinematography is well shot.

As for the cast Garfield is solid as always, as is Emma, the both of them work well together and have good chemistry even if it doesn't feel as strong this time around. The villains of the piece are another story, DeHaan feels like he's trying a little bit too hard to come across as evil, his childish looks certain don't help that. Foxx comes across as really over doing it, especially in the first half of the film. He redeems himself in the second half but it's almost like he plays two characters making any sympathy toward Electro virtually impossible.

Overall, it's not necessarily a better film than the previous movie, but I feel it's the more entertaining of the two. It has some very noticeable problems which may bug people, and it's not going to rank near the top of anyone's superhero movie list, but it's hard to imagine fans coming out feeling as if they wasted their money.

A decent but not spectacular 7/10.

Very good review :up:

Regarding the score, that rap like song that played in the Times Square scene was the worst part of the score for me. I can't believe Zimmer wrote that.

Last edited:
It is definitely a lot bigger in scope than TASM 1 in terms of how the villains are used but there are still little intimate moments between characters that are very sweet.

Do you think TASM2 being filmed in NYC made a difference?

RT is at 76% now. I think late sixties is the way to go for this film now. Might just wind up close to IM2's and SM3's score unfortunately.

RT is at 76% now. I think late sixties is the way to go for this film now. Might just wind up close to IM2's and SM3's score unfortunately.
Probably high 60s, low 70s. I still think it's a bit early to tell but at this moment that's how it feels.

Probably high 60s, low 70s. I still think it's a bit early to tell but at this moment that's how it feels.

Yup. Again, I am feeling disappointed with what I have been hearing. I don't think I will follow TASM 3's production that closely if this one is not that good.

I just watched this today. First of all the 3D was much improved from the last film but it's not a big seller in this film. The narrative was forced most of the time as they interchange between characters. The mystery of Peter's parents didn't have as much emotional weight than just being a subplot. Peter and Gwen's romantic scenes were excellent. They were like the 1980's John Hughes flicks. Action was also good but not groundbreaking. I don't see how this was any different from Raimi's approach. What bothered me most was how the supervillains just have these techno suits that don't express their supervillain identity. The big spider logo at the start was boring compared to the cool graphics we got in Raimi's Spider-Man 2. The ending credits were worse because they just tease the arsenal of the Sinister Six. They say that film will be about redemption? ********! So far none of these new characters act like they want redemption, unlike the Raimi films. Redemption doesn't work for comicbook villains.

The ending is a real gem because it recovers that superheroic optimism that makes Spider-Man a great superhero. Unlike a certain caped crusader, he doesn't pull at Palin.

That's right, Batman! I'm taking about YOU!

7.5/10 Amazing Spider-Man 2

Yup. Again, I am feeling disappointed with what I have been hearing. I don't think I will follow TASM 3's production that closely if this one is not that good.

If I don't like TASM2 that much then I will probably avoid following production of TASM3 as well. But the movie would really have to be like SM3 for me to lose all interest in the series. As far as I'm concerned, while TASM3 is in production, we'll start seeing one of the spin-offs begin its production if they want to release it in 2017.

Spider-Man 2. The ending credits were worse because they just tease the arsenal of the Sinister Six. They say that film will be about redemption? ********! So far none of these new characters act like they want redemption, unlike the Raimi films. Redemption doesn't work for comicbook villain!

When was this featured? I don't remember seeing anything about redemption.

Surprised you didn't care for the prologue...
I was very teary... Reminded me of the first NewTrek film actually.

Last edited:
When was this featured? I don't remember seeing anything about redemption.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/04/11/the-sinister-six-is-a-tale-of-redemption

It's ********. I agree witth Avid Arad that the villains were victims of circumstance. Max and Harry got the short end of the stick. But redemption? I don't buy it.

(I don't care for the new Star Trek films. I grew up knowing them from the 1st series. I don't need to know them when they were the Archies.)

I feel like I see a lot of people saying how they're "confused about the negative reviews" or "don't see where they're coming from." I'm sure this movie has issues (as does every movie), but that makes me feel a little better.

I'm sure I'm gonna be in the camp saying "How could anyone give this film a bad review?!" after I finally see it

So I've got back from seeing the film, review as follows (Spoiler Free).

The biggest flaw I found with the first film was that it really felt like it took itself way too seriously and never really shifted in its story.

Unless I've misunderstood you, that is a statement that I disagree with entirely. :)

The thing I really loved about this film is that this Spiderman really enjoys being Spiderman... the quips, the teasing and the playfulness of many of the action scenes all exude FUN. There is an exuberance in this Spiderman that is very endearing.

ok, i just got back from seeing it THESE are initial reactions because i´m really tired , i will go see it again tomorrow, because i want to have clearer thoughts.
Blackout=SPOILERS
First, Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone as said before are GREAT as Peter and Gwen their relationship is genuine and intimate; Second, i feel that Electro as many said before was lacking a character not because there wasn´t one but for me he was meh, i mean he is crazy from the start [BLACKOUT]as seen in two scenes, the first with Smythe and the other one where he is pretending spidey visited him for his birthday [/BLACKOUT]then he has this one note "You remembered my name" and i liked it and thought it was going to pay off but as Electro he ended up as Harry´s lacky and Marc Webb seems like he just included him for visual spectacle in the times square battle, then he goes to ravencroft [BLACKOUT]and stays there with no use but a weird scene with Dr Kafka and does his monologue about hating spider-man,[/BLACKOUT]his final fight was good but breef. The third thing is that Harry had all this build up to the Goblin and i loved that build up, when he transformed it was creepy as f**k, but then he just comes after they defeated electro and fills the role as goblin[BLACKOUT], that´s it for him and then he becomes normal again because his condition comes and goes.[/BLACKOUT] [BLACKOUT]Gwen´s death is really heartbreaking and then the time goes and i thought for a moment that Peter was going to stay attached to Gwen but as i suspect Aunt May knows he is spider-man and tells him that he doesn´t need to forget to move on[/BLACKOUT], Finally when the movie ends i think to myself "That was impressive but had something lacking" and as i am writing this i found out that they had Spidey right they had relationships right but the villains for me were something lacking
Rhino="good he served his role", Goblin="Good but painfully brief" and Electro="MEEEEEH"
the story is good, liked the closure to Peter´s parents storyline, Aunt May with Peter serious scenes were great, the character moments are great and overall i really liked it it had spirit of a spider-man movie but it lacked focus on the villain, again these are INITIAL reactions, i need to process all the stuff
grade (first viewing):8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"