• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spiderman 2 - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good review :up:

Regarding the score, that rap like song that played in the Times Square scene was the worst part of the score for me. I can't believe Zimmer wrote that.

The score was one of the worst things about the film and the ending credits music , didn't help matters either.

I've listened to the entire score and I love it. Is it just a matter of taste? If the same music I've heard in the soundtrack is what's being described as 'rap', then I'm okay with it.
It's more or less some small bits of spoken word, but not the full-on RnB Hip Hop image I had from some descriptions :word:

The score at times wouldn't have been out of place in an old Bugs Bunny cartoon. It's easily the worst music I've heard in a superhero movie in a long time.

Code:
The score at times wouldn't have been out of place in an old Bugs Bunny cartoon. It's easily the worst music I've heard in a superhero movie in a long time.

Can you be more specific?

My experience watching this movie was not a good one. Not because of the quality of the movie but the audience. The hole row behind me was filled with stupid young teens who thought it would be funny to squeak their straws against cups and talk through all the emotional moments and shuffle through the food.
Not to mention someone brought a baby that wouldn't be quiet. Oh and some of my friends just don't care that much about the movie and kept talking which really irritated me and made me realize how much better it is going alone!
The only thing that I was a bit ehh about was the Goblin fight. It was over in like 30 seconds :( Barely got a good look of the glider too. Have to go see it again ASAP to get a better overall feel of the movie, hopefully with a better crowd!

My review, which contains minor spoilers.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is heavy-handed. One of the key themes of the movie is time, and as we see Richard Parker's watch in the first frames and hear characters talk about the time they have in life, it's quite clear this is an Orci and Kurtzman script along with numerous plot contrivances and not-so-subtle motivating speeches throughout.

The script isn't a total mess though, it carries it's weight of numerous characters with decent heft as most of the big players are intertwined to the specter of Oscorp in one way or another, keeping things coherent. In other words, it's not like Spider-Man 3. It also is able to balance it's different tones to fine effect -- from the hilarious Max Dillon scenes to the catastrophic and tragic occurrences of it's third act. It all seems to come full circle in the melancholy and gratifying hope of it's opening set-piece to the rousing return of Spidey in the final scene. By the end of it all, you feel like you've gone through an opera and rollercoaster of emotions. The film's structure and pacing are fine, things don't get too boring or humdrum in the 2nd act, even if the Peter and Gwen talks start to homogenize a bit just before the 3rd act.

It's a credit to director Marc Webb that despite all the spectacle, there's still a very human core to The Amazing Spider-Man 2, as was with the first film. Peter and Gwen's relationship feels real and the excellent chemistry between Garfield and Stone only boasts their in-and-out romance further; their relationship is the core of the movie and it's strongest success. The villains of the film feel like an odd mix at first, but work well in context later on. Jamie Foxx's Max Dillon is an extroverted, outcast and exaggerated caricature that inflates himself into the God-like, power hungry, self-serving yet persuadable Electro, who ends up teaming up with the persuasive, desperate and eventually maniacal Harry Osborn. Both of who's despondency, despair and general disliking of the ol' webhead brings them together. Foxx and DeHaan are a dynamic duo and it's a shame they don't get more to do together, because their chemistry -- which oozes with villainy -- is really something. Both actors bring an entertaining nefariousness and charm to their roles, and they're more uniquely characterized and visualized than other recent superhero baddies thanks to some one-liners and silliness.

Oh yeah, Spider-Man is in this movie, and he's great. Garfield brings more of his humor, pensiveness and dramatic ability this time around and that is a credit to Webb, as we feel like the character has progressed enormously between the shaky, unfocused teen we saw in the beginning of the first film. This film really is a showcase for Garfield's immense range as an actor, he's going to have a great and long career. As for Spidey, this is the best we've ever seen him; with a fantastic costume, amazing CGI and 3D, Spidey's swinging feels virtuous and more visceral than ever before. I had a jolt in my seat during the first swing scene.

Speaking of the fine CGI and 3D, they also bolster the already thrilling action sequences, especially the final third act battles with Electro and Green Goblin, where in which I felt my heart was about to burst out of my chest, despite the fact that I spoiled myself on it beforehand. It's a testament to Webb's direction in both making us care for the characters and crafting a damn good action setpiece, even despite a rather superfluous Plane sequence which is interwoven between the powerplant Electro-Spidey fight.

Despite my gushing, the problems I listed at the beginning are still very apparent and hurtful to the film as a whole. Most especially with the plotline of Peter's parents, story progression feels far from organic as many of Peter's occurrences upon new info are less from solving clues and more from happy coincidences. There's also plenty of spoon-fed exposition (particularly within the albeit creepy appearance from Norman Osborn) and magical blood plot-lines to tick off the Orci-Kurtzman checklist.

The first film had some interesting directorial choices that never fully felt explored, but in this film, it seems like Webb is much more confident in the material now that the origin is out of the way. There's a greater sense of individuality to this new reboot series than the first film compared to the Raimi series now, with things like Spidey's dynamic sense, the comic-book style tone; which is filled with one-liners, intentionally cheesy character bits and Dr. Kafka (see for yourself) but also tragedy and weight that keeps things in reality. The film is an eclectic mix, and this is represented by Hans Zimmer's contemporary and electronically-colored score that ranges from traditional orchestral tunes, to an epic electronic-dubstep mix for Electro to guitar tuned and bass-blasting beats for the Rhino.

Overall, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 works well, it's loaded with strong work from it's main players, great action scenes, humor, a wonderful core relationship between it's two leads and more confident direction. It's the film's ambitious script that proves to be it's biggest falter, with plenty of obvious mishaps despite some interesting thematic and character ideas such as time, self-serving along with some interesting moralizing.

Brilliant review and very well written.

The score I've been listening to for the past 2 days is amazing.

Huh yeah, what the hell about the score? Maybe listening to it prior to the movie helps, but it's definitely one of the best scores ever made for a superhero movie, great work.

Only heard the first 4 tracks of the soundtrack but I thought it was really awesome. I like how it stands out and is very stylized. Plus has aheavy electronic influence that feels huge in scope with it's themes. Not trying to be subtle in any way, and that's what I dug.

Havnt seen the film yet though, so don't know how it fits. But definitely like what I heard so far.

The new installment in Marc Webb's growing franchise pits Spider-Man
against threats created behind the closed doors of Oscorp, furthermore
leading him to face the price of being a hero as the ones he loves are
put at risk.

Webb has taken things to a whole new level in the sequel to his 2012
re-imagining of Spider-Man. Whilst the first film spent time developing
the origin of Spider-Man, this film wastes no time in swinging straight
into the action. Andrew Garfield truly understands his role of witty
superhero Spider-Man and this is evident right from the opening scene
in which Spider-Man is dropping hilarious quips to his foes. His
portrayal of Peter Parker is also top notch and he captures every
nuance of the character. They couldn't have picked a more perfect actor
for the role.

Visually the film is stunning and looks like a page from a comic book,
bright colors are complimented by great shooting locations. The
cinematography has seen a great improvement from the first film which
consisted primarily of muted colors. Garfield and Emma Stone once again
deliver in the romance department, creating realistic chemistry that
cannot be faulted. Newcomers Dane Dehaan and Jamie Foxx successfully
bring to life popular villains, Electro and Goblin. Dehaan adds his own
horrific edge to Goblin that is sure to leave an imprint on viewers and
satisfy readers of the comics.

Once the movie starts it doesn't stop to give you a chance to breathe
because there's a lot going on. Though the script is well written, the
many ongoing plots coupled with fast pacing issues is the film's
greatest downfall. If you are a fan of the franchise like myself, it is
not so much a major issue. The main plot is enthralling, supported by
great special effects which only get better and better as these films
continue to be made. Webs shooting, gliders soaring through the air,
electricity sparking here and there. The effects all look magnificent
and more realistic than ever before.

Hans Zimmer replaces James Horner to score and with very good reason.
Zimmer's score is much more memorable than Horner's which despite being
nicely composed, was quite forgettable. Zimmer's respective themes for
Spider-Man, Electro and Harry/Goblin are very memorable and his scoring
of the emotional scenes pulls on the heart strings.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 delivers on all fronts of a comic book film,
it has improved on the major flaws of the previous film and is sure to
be a preview of what is to come in future sequels. A highly
recommended film.

Just seen the film in Australia, loved it, inbox me anyone if you have questions.

Code:

Can you be more specific?

It goes with the film's tone being a bit all over the place. One moment it's trying to be this moody score then next it's like cartoon music. The action pieces come to mind as feeling Looney Toon like on occasion. If people have only listened to the score and not seen the film yet I suggest holding off declaring it a great score until you see it in context of the film. I still maintain it's the worst music accompanying a superhero film in quite some time.

Last edited:
The new installment in Marc Webb's growing franchise pits Spider-Man
against threats created behind the closed doors of Oscorp, furthermore
leading him to face the price of being a hero as the ones he loves are
put at risk.

Webb has taken things to a whole new level in the sequel to his 2012
re-imagining of Spider-Man. Whilst the first film spent time developing
the origin of Spider-Man, this film wastes no time in swinging straight
into the action. Andrew Garfield truly understands his role of witty
superhero Spider-Man and this is evident right from the opening scene
in which Spider-Man is dropping hilarious quips to his foes. His
portrayal of Peter Parker is also top notch and he captures every
nuance of the character. They couldn't have picked a more perfect actor
for the role.

Visually the film is stunning and looks like a page from a comic book,
bright colors are complimented by great shooting locations. The
cinematography has seen a great improvement from the first film which
consisted primarily of muted colors. Garfield and Emma Stone once again
deliver in the romance department, creating realistic chemistry that
cannot be faulted. Newcomers Dane Dehaan and Jamie Foxx successfully
bring to life popular villains, Electro and Goblin. Dehaan adds his own
horrific edge to Goblin that is sure to leave an imprint on viewers and
satisfy readers of the comics.

Once the movie starts it doesn't stop to give you a chance to breathe
because there's a lot going on. Though the script is well written, the
many ongoing plots coupled with fast pacing issues is the film's
greatest downfall. If you are a fan of the franchise like myself, it is
not so much a major issue. The main plot is enthralling, supported by
great special effects which only get better and better as these films
continue to be made. Webs shooting, gliders soaring through the air,
electricity sparking here and there. The effects all look magnificent
and more realistic than ever before.

Hans Zimmer replaces James Horner to score and with very good reason.
Zimmer's score is much more memorable than Horner's which despite being
nicely composed, was quite forgettable. Zimmer's respective themes for
Spider-Man, Electro and Harry/Goblin are very memorable and his scoring
of the emotional scenes pulls on the heart strings.

recommended film.

Just seen the film in Australia, loved it, inbox me anyone if you have questions.

Good review

Great review there T.I.A.

Very good review.:up:

Very good review IrishAvenger. Fair, articulate, and direct. :up:

Its a lot better to see reviews from true spidey fans,btw great review :up:

Very good review, TIA. May I ask what you rate this film on a scale of 1-10? Also how does it compare to TASM1?

Thanks everybody! :woot: I'd rate the film 7.5/10 I guess.

recommended film.

Agreed with pretty much everything you said here, Rod. :woot:
Glad you enjoyed it too.

It goes with the film's tone being a bit all over the place. One moment it's trying to be this moody score then next it's like cartoon music. The action pieces come to mind as feeling Looney Toon like on occasion. If people have only listened to the score and not seen the film yet I suggest holding off declaring it a great score until you see it in context of the film. I still maintain it's the worst music accompanying a superhero film in quite some time.

I still maintain that this;

[YT]/watch?v=oyaJABLED_g[/YT]

is in absolutely no way shape or form similar to this;

[YT]/watch?v=F-t8PngHgWY[/YT]

And I think no amount of context in the world will change that to be frank.

Yeah, well you picked the least cartoony part of the score obviously. I didn't say it was the entire score.

Solid Review TheIrishAvenger so do you feel Sony needs to ditch kurtzman and orci asap

Ugh... they should, but they aren't going to. There is some things they do really good but man, their storytelling is pretty poor.

T.I.A writes better reviews than most critics! :)

Thanks! :yay:

Also how does it compare to TASM1?

They're really about on par I'd say. TASM has a lot of great stuff -- most especially the human elements -- but is boughed down by the silly stuff.

Same with this film, lots of great stuff, but boughed down immensely by it's storytelling.

Here is my review :

Today I managed to watch The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I will start this review by going through the bad and then moving onto the good, letting you guys know what I thought of this latest installment !

First off, I was not exceptionally blown away by the villains in this film. Dane Deehan and Jamie Foxx do well with what they are given but there is not nearly enough time spent developing them as true villains. I would like to point out that Deehan in particular was a stand out. He definitely brings a new spin to the Harry Osborne character. I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing but I thought Foxx as Max Dillon was hilarious. For me I found him thoroughly entertaining in that role. The villains do somewhat come across cliched, but I do believe they will be given more time to develop as the Spider-Man cinematic universe expands.

The other negative I have is the pacing at times. The films gets going in quite a frenzy, that it takes a while for everything to sink in. One moment Spider-Man is fighting the mob and then it suddenly cuts to Max Dillon dropping blueprints on the street. It felt rushed because of this at points and it was bit jarring.

The middle of the film also tends to lag because it spends too much time closing up the loose ends from the first film. This time could have been used to further develop the villains. It does make the transition from one act to the other a bit abrupt but luckily this is forgiven, in my view, for how great the final act was.

Now to move on to the good. There was some really good comic releif in this film. It finds a perfect balance between Spider-Man 2 and The Amazing Spider-Man. Paul Giamatti is deliberatly cheesy but it works for a character like Rhino. It has fun with the Spider-Man heritage as there is a nod to a certain song that Spider-Man has as his ringtone. In my opinion, it is one of the funnier superhero films to come out in recent memory.

The CGI was outstanding and Spider-Man's web swinging is an exceptionally, breathtaking and exhilirating experience. It is easily the best it has ever looked and the use of camera angles in these particular shots are gorgeous. What I like about this film, is that it embraces the comic book element of Spider-Man to the core. The visuals help distinguish this feature, as the colours really pop-out during the action sequences and make it feel like a comic book page come to life.

Spider-Man is...... SPIDER-MAN !!! Finally they have nailed the Spider-Man I know from the comics ! And he really can do whatever a spider can ! Andrew Garfield deserves a big round of applause, in my opinion. He really delivers and you can tell he is enjoying this role. He is playful and sarcastic, while bringing a real warmth to the character. I found him likeable throughout and he was a very engaging Peter Parker. What this movie delivers in spades is the spirit of the character and Garfield embodies that wonderfully.

What works fantastically and what really makes this film stand out from the other superhero films on offer, is an authentic love story between Peter and Gwen. Emma Stone and Garfield have such a natural flow with one another and they really shine, when they share the same scenes. The film follows the emotional journey of these two characters and that is where it really stands out.

Conclusion :

What I take away from this film is that yes it is flawed but the positives outweight them in my opinion. If you want to smile, laugh and cry then this is the film for you. It is witty and it has fun. It understands it is a comic book movie and delivers on what it offers. Yes the villains are under utilised but the main focus of this film is Spider-Man's first love and on this aspect it delivers.

I think the the general audience and comic book lovers are used to having the villain being the most interesting character. For example many loved Joker more in The Dark Knight then probably Batman. This film does the opposite. It invests it's time in Peter and Gwen making it somewhat different from the normal.

For those of you worrying about enjoying the film because certain critics have stated it is like the "Batman and Robin of Spider-Man movies"rest easy because that criticism is a hyperbole used to gain attention. It is no where near that train-wreck. This film definitely wins you over with it's charm in the end, more than anything. The endearing chemistry between Peter and Gwen makes you care about them.

It did something a little different and because of that it left me pleasantly suprised. This film offers a great time and it definitely left me curious as to how this will all play out in The Amazing Spider-Man 3.

3.5/5

Last edited:
Yeah, well you picked the least cartoony part of the score obviously. I didn't say it was the entire score.

Ok, fair enough actually, could you please show us a specific part from the score that is cartoony then.

Go on, please.

You can find them all on youtube.

I loved it in the final fight with electro when he's bouncing between the power grid and Spidey's like, "aaawhh I hate this song!" hahaha

Tumblr reactions for this movie seem to be very positive. I'd avoid going in the tag hence the spoilers but everyone seems " to hop on the feel train" after seeing this movie.

tumblr_n3ips7zeSi1r0pizwo1_500.gif

Last edited:
For those who have seen it, does anybody know what the song was that was playing while Peter was testing the batteries?

Here is my review :

Today I managed to watch The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I will start this review by going through the bad and then moving onto the good, letting you guys know what I thought of this latest installment !

First off, I was not exceptionally blown away by the villains in this film. Dane Deehan and Jamie Foxx do well with what they are given but there is not nearly enough time spent developing them as true villains. I would like to point out that Deehan in particular was a stand out. He definitely brings a new spin to the Harry Osborne character. I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing but I thought Foxx as Max Dillon was hilarious. For me I found him thoroughly entertaining in that role. The villains do somewhat come across cliched, but I do believe they will be given more time to develop as the Spider-Man cinematic universe expands.

The other negative I have is the pacing at times. The films gets going in quite a frenzy, that it takes a while for everything to sink in. One moment Spider-Man is fighting the mob and then it suddenly cuts to Max Dillon dropping blueprints on the street. It felt rushed because of this at points and it was bit jarring.

The middle of the film also tends to lag because it spends too much time closing up the loose ends from the first film. This time could have been used to further develop the villains. It does make the transition from one act to the other a bit abrupt but luckily this is forgiven, in my view, for how great the final act was.

Now to move on to the good. There was some really good comic releif in this film. It finds a perfect balance between Spider-Man 2 and The Amazing Spider-Man. Paul Giamatti is deliberatly cheesy but it works for a character like Rhino. It has fun with the Spider-Man heritage as there is a nod to a certain song that Spider-Man has as his ringtone. In my opinion, it is one of the funnier superhero films to come out in recent memory.

The CGI was outstanding and Spider-Man's web swinging is an exceptionally, breathtaking and exhilirating experience. It is easily the best it has ever looked and the use of camera angles in these particular shots are gorgeous. What I like about this film, is that it embraces the comic book element of Spider-Man to the core. The visuals help distinguish this feature, as the colours really pop-out during the action sequences and make it feel like a comic book page come to life.

Spider-Man is...... SPIDER-MAN !!! Finally they have nailed the Spider-Man I know from the comics ! And he really can do whatever a spider can ! Andrew Garfield deserves a big round of applause, in my opinion. He really delivers and you can tell he is enjoying this role. He is playful and sarcastic, while bringing a real warmth to the character. I found him likeable throughout and he was a very engaging Peter Parker. What this movie delivers in spades is the spirit of the character and Garfield embodies that wonderfully.

What works fantastically and what really makes this film stand out from the other superhero films on offer, is an authentic love story between Peter and Gwen. Emma Stone and Garfield have such a natural flow with one another and they really shine, when they share the same scenes. The film follows the emotional journey of these two characters and that is where it really stands out.

Conclusion :

What I take away from this film is that yes it is flawed but the positives outweight them in my opinion. If you want to smile, laugh and cry then this is the film for you. It is witty and it has fun. It understands it is a comic book movie and delivers on what it offers. Yes the villains are under utilised but the main focus of this film is Spider-Man's first love and on this aspect it delivers.

I think the the general audience and comic book lovers are used to having the villain being the most interesting character. For example many loved Joker more in The Dark Knight then probably Batman. This film does the opposite. It invests it's time in Peter and Gwen making it somewhat different from the normal.

For those of you worrying about enjoying the film because certain critics have stated it is like the "Batman and Robin of Spider-Man movies"rest easy because that criticism is a hyperbole used to gain attention. It is no where near that train-wreck. This film definitely wins you over with it's charm in the end, more than anything. The endearing chemistry between Peter and Gwen makes you care about them.

It did something a little different and because of that it left me pleasantly suprised. This film offers a great time and it definitely left me curious as to how this will all play out in The Amazing Spider-Man 3.

3.5/5

Good review! Sounds like the film has a messy script but overall it's an enjoyable experience. Worth seeing on the big screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"