The Art of At-Home Movie Marathons

CFE

The never-ending battle
Reaction score
One of my favorite past times when I have nothing to do is have personal movie marathons at home, and this thread is to just discuss the marathons that other Hypers have and anything pertaining to them.

I'll start things off with a list of the Marathons I've successfully pulled off in a single day:

----------

Star Wars

Episode I - The Phantom Menace
Episode II - Attack of the Clones
Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
Episode IV - A New Hope
Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

Yeah...ALL six films, in order (Episode I to Jedi). I've only pulled this marathon off twice. Not a bad way to spend a free 13 hours. Besides, it wa Lucas who suggested that Star Wars is all one film, and you have to watch all six to really see the scope of the SW universe.

Batman

Batman: The 1966 Movie
Batman
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman Begins

Superman

Superman: The Movie
Superman II
Superman III
Superman IV: The Quest For Peace

The Matrix

The Second Renaissance - Pts 1 and 2
The Matrix
Kids Story
A Detective Story
Program
Final Flight of the Osiris
The Matrix: Reloaded
The Matrix: Revolustions

Alien

Alien - 1978 Theatrical Edition
Aliens - 1991 Special Edition
Alien3 - 2003 Special Edition
Alien: Resurrection - 1997 Theatrical Edition

--------

and a slew of others:

Blade, Robocop, Terminator, Indiana Jones, Kill Bill, X-men, Escape, Halloween.

I also do marathons such as "Marvel Day" for stand alone films like Daredevil, Hulk and Punisher. And "Vertigo/Dark Horse" day for Sin City, V for Vendetta and Constantine.

So...what about you guys.

CFE

NOTE: Yes, I do have a life that I live outside of home. But this is just for when I've got nothing to do for a day.

Alien

Alien - 1978 Theatrical Edition
Aliens - 1991 Special Edition
Alien3 - 2003 Special Edition
Alien: Resurrection - 1997 Theatrical Edition

--------

Dude, I just did this myself, but with the theatrical version of Alien 3 (I'll watch the superior 2003 cut when I get the DVD back), and Alien Versus Predator.

It's amazing how well the story of Ripley plays out over the four films.

Dude, I just did this myself, but with the theatrical version of Alien 3 (I'll watch the superior 2003 cut when I get the DVD back), and Alien Versus Predator.

It's amazing how well the story of Ripley plays out over the four films.

Yeah, I agree. The idea presented in the Documentary for Aliens (doing an installment without Ripley) is appalling.

They really need to do an Alien 5 to give her story the closure it needs.

CFE

Yeah, I agree. The idea presented in the Documentary for Aliens (doing an installment without Ripley) is appalling.

They really need to do an Alien 5 to give her story the closure it needs.

CFE

Very true. Although Alien 3 (the 2003 cut) is the perfect closure for the real Ripley...you could definetly do something very intresting and unique with a clone of a great hero. On earth.

You know James Cameron and Ridley Scott were working on a fifth movie, to give it closure? And Fox went with AVP instead-!! It boggles the mind.

I never can get myself to watch more than two movies in a row. And usually two is already too much. I like the idea but it never really works for me.

your not a badass if you dont have a peter jackson marathon hehhe :)

Actually, a friend of mine (we're both going to school with intent to get into the film industry) was very interested in tackling an Alien 5, should the franchise remain dormant until then.

In his mind, he'd want to take Ripley and Call to the end all be all homeworld of the Xenomorphs. We were also playing with the idea that the Aliens, because of them being nearly perfect bio-weapons, were artificially birthed in some way by another race (the race that Kane, Lambert and Dallas found dead and fossilized) that they eventually wiped out.

And for the ending, Ripley would steal one of the aircraft to escape the Alien planet, and send a warning transmittion just as she crach landed and died...on LV-246. The film would end with the Nostromo recieving the signal, giving the series a circular ending.

CFE

Actually, a friend of mine (we're both going to school with intent to get into the film industry) was very interested in tackling an Alien 5, should the franchise remain dormant until then.

In his mind, he'd want to take Ripley and Call to the end all be all homeworld of the Xenomorphs. We were also playing with the idea that the Aliens, because of them being nearly perfect bio-weapons, were artificially birthed in some way by another race (the race that Kane, Lambert and Dallas found dead and fossilized) that they eventually wiped out.

Good idea, but I think it would be better if you suggested that rather than confirm it. It has more power if the audience don't really know where they come from, but you give them some tantalizing hints to think about...

And for the ending, Ripley would steal one of the aircraft to escape the Alien planet, and send a warning transmittion just as she crach landed and died...on LV-246. The film would end with the Nostromo recieving the signal, giving the series a circular ending.
CFE

I don't think the Clone Ripley should die. We've already had the proper Ripley die, I think the clone should live.

That's only because there's no trace of Clone Ripley when the Nostromo arrives...

I guess there'd have to be some way for her to survive. Maybe the ship has an escape pod or something that she uses to escape just prior to crashing the ship into the planetoid.

CFE

I plan to do both a Star Wars marathon and a LOTR: Extended edition marathon.

The amin thing is to get away from just a formulaic runaround trying to copy the first two movies (ala Resurrection).

The amin thing is to get away from just a formulaic runaround trying to copy the first two movies (ala Resurrection).

And Alien3. Aside from the idea that justating in different species gives the Xenomorph different results, Alien3 was quite formulaic as well.

It makes me think what it would've been like had Vincent Ward's wooden planet idea been used.

CFE

The most I ever got through was The Godfather Trilogy. Apart from that, I can only muster a maximum of two movies a day.

And Alien3. Aside from the idea that justating in different species gives the Xenomorph different results, Alien3 was quite formulaic as well.

It makes me think what it would've been like had Vincent Ward's wooden planet idea been used.

CFE

I don't think Alien 3 was formulaic at all. Certainly it's a far more original movie than Resurrection. The actual incidents with the creature are secondary to the stuff with Ripley and the prisoners, and what they think of her and the alien. If you watch the 2003 version, Paul McGann (still the real Doctor, 'Dr Who' fans ;)) believes it's some kind of deity and releases it. It comes out of an ox as well, instead of a dog. It is like the first Alien, but different enough to be equally valid.

I don't think Alien 3 was formulaic at all. Certainly it's a far more original movie than Resurrection. The actual incidents with the creature are secondary to the stuff with Ripley and the prisoners, and what they think of her and the alien. If you watch the 2003 version, Paul McGann (still the real Doctor, 'Dr Who' fans ;)) believes it's some kind of deity and releases it. It comes out of an ox as well, instead of a dog. It is like the first Alien, but different enough to be equally valid.

I thought by formulaic you meant the running-around-in-enclosed-spaces gimmic, in which case I did find it predictable.

But oh yeah, the characterization in Alien3 is quite interesting for me; at least more so than Resurrection.

CFE

I've only done a few marathons. One marathon isn't a movie though

The Godfather Trilogy marathon
The Man with No Name marathon
The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Marathon
Monty Python's Flying Circus Marathon (24 hours straight baby!)

I've watched all 4 Harry Potter movies in one day.
Personally though, I'm fond of The Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition marathon. I've never been able to get through all 3 in one day, but it's a personal goal of mine.

I had a Pam Grier Marathon yesterday actually

I saw

The Big Dollhouse
Coffy
Foxy Brown

I've done the Star Wars Marathons and
Godfather trilogy

Kevin Smith Marathon

Clerks
Mallrats
Chasing Amy
Dogma
Jay and Silent Bob

(No Jersey Girl, obviously)

I like thematic ones as well ie

Eighties teen flicks

Breakfast Club
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Truly, the ultimate test is the James Bond marathon. Twenty-one movies, approx. two hours long each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"