The Batcave Lounge aka The Batusi

I get your point, but the thiccness from real chocolate is WAY better than having too much thickness from the packet. cus its real stuff, the packet stuff when its lumped together at the bottom sucks

I get your point, but the thiccness from real chocolate is WAY better than having too much thickness from the packet. cus its real stuff, the packet stuff when its lumped together at the bottom sucks
So did you melt the piece of chocolate with the milk or was it heated up separately?

I watched 1989 Batman last night for the first time in like 10 years. So much nostalgia for the Lego Batman game lol

The actual in suit Batman stuff hasn't aged the greatest, but I love how bizarre Keaton as Bruce is - it's so good. Everything he does is so unpredictable acting wise, the way he chooses to emote and deliver certain lines. Jack has so many great lines in the last 30 mins. A lot of the design choices remind me of The Batman - like the open spaceship lookin back to the Batmobile and the set design. I can imagine The Batman opening the same way too - with goons questioning if he's real and then getting caught by him. Skirting along the rooftops, following them etc I think that scene in the trailer with the docks will be the opening.

Anyways, 89 was all around a good time, mostly for the aesthetic and set design. Good comfort watch. Gonna do Batman Returns soon, which I've never seen entirely start to finish

YOU WANNA GET NUTS?? LET'S GET NUTS

Edit: oh and the young Jack Napier scene is perfect, his smile is crazy

Last edited:
You’ve never seen Batman Returns? Whaaa-whyyyyy?

I'm significantly younger than it so I guess I just never got into it - played the lego game though! I had only ever seen 89 when it came on tv as a kid too

I've seen Batman & Robin though so my priorities shouldn't be questioned ;)

Looks like it lol

I should point out that there's no need to worry - I have seen all of the animated series fortunately :word:

I very much grew up with watching TDK trilogy over and over the most though

I'm not really sure if I like Returns anymore.

It's just as corny and campy as any 60s ep or Schumacher film, Burton just gets away with it because "OoOOo0 G0th1C gUrmAhn eXpRe$$1onIzum lolololol" and the characters are so far removed from the source material that I'm more inclined to call it a kooky Burton film with characters named after Batman characters than a Batman film.

Idk maybe I'm due for a rewatch

Returns is a hilarious, acerbic dark comedy mostly due to Daniel Water's screenplay. It's not a terribly coherent story and I'm not sure I agree it has the thematic heft its strident fans believe it has but it's a lot of fun. Its biggest sin is not realizing that Michael Keaton is more interesting on screen than DeVito or Pfeiffer even if his performance isn't as showy, those two are fun but Keaton has such a presence.

Burton's less is more attitude to Batman's screentime in his films is their biggest downfall. I know it's a cliche criticism at this point but I genuinely don't think Burton ever found Batman that interesting as a character. Always a little torn on what parts of those movies are less is more and less is... just less.

I'm not really sure if I like Returns anymore.

It's just as corny and campy as any 60s ep or Schumacher film, Burton just gets away with it because "OoOOo0 G0th1C gUrmAhn eXpRe$$1onIzum lolololol" and the characters are so far removed from the source material that I'm more inclined to call it a kooky Burton film with characters named after Batman characters than a Batman film.

Idk maybe I'm due for a rewatch
80432401.jpg

Yeah, that's another problem in both Burton films. Batman hardly feels like a main character in his own movies.

That's why I'm glad Nolan did pretty much the opposite of that

Returns also clearly draws a great deal from '66. The West series casts a huge shadow over the '90s franchise. It is, apart from '89 which draws heavily on early Finger stories and Steve Englehart's work, probably the iteration of Batman they are most engaged with as an influence.

Yeah, that's another problem in both Burton films. Batman hardly feels like a main character in his own movies.

That's why I'm glad Nolan did pretty much the opposite of that
Yeah, while I understand Nolan's interpretation of Batman himself is divisive and gets overshadowed by Ledger in particular I've never understood when Nolan gets criticized for not focusing enough on Bruce. Every single aspect of those movies is constructed to be about Bruce's emotional journey. TDKR's narrative especially is just purely built around reflecting what's going on inside him.

Yeah, while I understand Nolan's interpretation of Batman himself is divisive and gets overshadowed by Ledger in particular I've never understood when Nolan gets criticized for not focusing enough on Bruce. Every single aspect of those movies is constructed to be about Bruce's emotional journey. TDKR's narrative especially is just purely built around reflecting what's going on inside him.
I didn't even realize that was a common complaint lol. TDK is legit the only one you could make that argument for but Joker is a natural spotlight thief (and I guess Dent took some of it as well but his arc was integral to not only the trilogy but to the arc of Bruce himself)

For all the **** he gets for being a "cold" filmmaker Nolan's movies make me really emotional. Interstellar especially just wrecks me. Hell, I even teared up at the final conversation between Neil and Protagonist in Tenet.

I cared way, way more about Tom Hardy's fighter pilot in Dunkirk who I'm not confident was even named than I did about the fully-fleshed out protagonists of most other movies released that year.

Agree completely. Even if it was a bit underdeveloped the idea of the Neil Protag friendship was really interesting to imagine. I think Nolan dialogue can be pretty stiff but I almost always still care about his characters. Dunkirk is great. Interstellar is probably his most "human" outside of TDK I think. You also care a lot about the guy in Memento too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"