The Batman (1966) Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Joker

The Clown Prince of Crime
Reaction score
batmantvshow.jpg

I'm a huge fan of Adam West's Batman show. Along with the Tim Burton movies, and BTAS, I grew up watching re-runs of this show, and it only enhanced my Batman fan love.

The tongue was firmly in cheek on this show, as it was based off the campy era of the Batman comics in the late 40's, 50's, and 60's. That ironically makes this TV show perhaps the most loyal on screen adaption of Batman to date.

Everyone in Hollywood wanted to appear on this show. The demand got so great that the show's producers came up with that scenario where Batman and Robin would be climbing a building, and someone would pop their head out of a window and speak to them briefly. That someone was always a celebrity.

GHBATCLIMB.jpg

The show boasted some impressive set pieces, most notably the Batcave:

center06.jpg

We also got several Bat vehicles, including the Batmobile, Bat Cycle, and Batboat,, Batgirl's Batcycle, and Bat-copter.

The rogues gallery of villains included several major ones from the comics, including Cesar Romero as The Joker, Burgess Meredith as The Penguin, Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, and Eartha Kitt all played Catwoman at some point, and Frank Gorshin as The Riddler. In fact it was Gorshin's high energy maniacal performance that launched The Riddler's popularity and status as a major Batman villain.

The show ran for three season from 1966-1968, and even got a major motion picture spin off after it's first season, which saw Batman and Robin taking on their four major villains Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, and Riddler, as they plot to take over the world by dehydrating the United Nations leaders. Bruce Wayne also gets to romance the sexy Russian reporter, Miss Kitka, who is in actuality Catwoman.

batman_1966.jpg

The movie was a great success, and delivered one of the most memorable sequences to Batman fans:

giphy.gif

Another major Batman character was introduced in the show's third and final season, Batgirl. Barbara Gordon, daughter of Police Commissioner Gordon, joined the show as a permanent cast member, joining Batman and Robin in their crime fighting adventures in every episode. She was played by Yvonne Craig:

195tmw.jpg

So enter all ye fans of this cult classic show. Discuss your favorite episodes, your favorite villains, your favorite moments, discuss all things 1966 Batman show related.

Last edited:
It's always a delight for me seeing Frank Gorshin as the Riddler and Burgess Meredith as Penguin - whether it be in photos or in clips on YouTube. I greatly miss being able to watch this show properly.

Oh, and I had forgotten about Vincent Price appearing! Such wonderful actors! And of course Bruce Lee via the Green Hornet/Kato scene up there. :up:

frankgorshin4.jpg

THAT is an excellent Riddler. :woot: He looks so slick in that suit, and I am 100% confident he could have pulled off a more serious, less camp version of the character provided the opportunity.

More to support that notion:

gorshin02.jpg

frank-gorshin-the-riddler.jpg

He looks so iconically Riddler in that last one. Feels very BTAS in a way to me, but perhaps more contemplative, and of course real. He's got a lot of gravity to him. :applaud

Last edited:
It's always a delight for me seeing Frank Gorshin as the Riddler and Burgess Meredith as Penguin - whether it be in photos or in clips on YouTube. I greatly miss being able to watch this show properly.

you can actually find dvds (unofficial, of course) on the net pretty easily. most of the sets are rather inexpensive; i paid about $60 for mine and that was at the high end. as far as quality, it's basic tv quality, though they are supposedly from the masters.

i initially was not going to purchase them as they are bootlegs, but i figured, we're not getting anything official anytime soon--if ever--so why not? (if they do release them--fingers crossed--i'll be first in line to get them.) it's too good of a show to pass up. and the movie is great.

I'll be back tomorrow to discuss, but I gotta say, what a GREAT thread. The 60's show is what got me into Batman at around 4-5 years old, and it's one of my favorite adaptations. I know it sounds 'crazy' or 'stupid', but I just love it. It's stupid, fun, enjoyable(to me at least), and yet, it's none of those things. Haha, I just love it! The Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Catwomen, etc. Come on, they're great at their roles.......

It is not at all crazy or stupid to love this show, Trav. It's a cult classic. It is what it is, and doesn't pretend to be anything else, or try to be anything else, other than a high camp and extremely fun show. That's why it works.

I think this show was a HUGE contributor to making Batman the icon he is. This show did for The Riddler, what BTAS did for Mr Freeze and Harley Quinn. I think it's undeniable that without Frank Gorshin's wonderful performance as The Riddler, he wouldn't be the major Batman villain he is today, because prior to the 60's show, the Riddler had about one appearance in the comics, and that was waaaaaaay back in the 40's.

Of course it launched Batman's major enemies into the public eye, and made then icons, too. The Joker, The Penguin, Catwoman, they were all awesome.

Burgess Meredith as The Penguin being my personal favorite for several reasons. I think he truly personified the Penguin with the waddle, the bird like squawks, always puffing on the cigarette holder, and he had those fantastic trick umbrellas, which were really impressive for those days.
According to Adam West's autobiography, Burgess came up with the Penguin's bird like squawks to initially cover up the coughing sounds he made when smoking the cigarette holder, because Burgess wasn't a smoker in real life, and the smoke irritated his throat. The squawks were so iconic and loved that they became a trademark trait for the character. Also according to West, Burgess' Penguin was the most popular villain on the show. So much so that they always had a script ready for him should he happen to come into town.

He even made an appearance on The Monkees TV show:

burgess_meredith.jpg

The movie was on FMC today. In one scene, I swear I heard Meridith cough due to the cigarette.

Where is love for West's Batman? Does the Batusi not make you just adore this show?

batusi.jpg

West's Batman had this famously iconic way of speaking, perhaps comparable to William Shatner playing Captain Kirk. It's neat to see how timeless and enduring things like that are amongst fans.

Why can't WB, ABC, the Illuminati and whoever else responsible get it together and release this thing for home video? :argh: :(

They've been haggling over the rights for an eternity. It's actually easier to get rid of a bomb than to get these suits to agree.

:awesome:

i think chris nolan appriciated this show too . the mask that the joker wears in the opening of the dark knight is damn near identicle to th pagliaci mask worn by th joker in the joker is wild/batman is riled. p.s you can watch the entire series on michelle66's channel on youtube.

i think chris nolan appriciated this show too . the mask that the joker wears in the opening of the dark knight is damn near identicle to th pagliaci mask worn by th joker in the joker is wild/batman is riled.

jokers.jpg

i think chris nolan appriciated this show too . the mask that the joker wears in the opening of the dark knight is damn near identicle to th pagliaci mask worn by th joker in the joker is wild/batman is riled. p.s you can watch the entire series on michelle66's channel on youtube.

WOW! I think it's gonna take me a while to reattach my jaw from how hard it just dropped. AWESOME. :up: :up:

Thanks so much for both that startling and smileworthy info AND the immediate pic to back it up - not to mention the means to finally rewatch this show. You guys are too great. :grin:

Best Show EVER.

Frank Gorshin is the best Riddler. He IS The Riddler. He took a second rate character to first rate status. People like to think Riddler's a Joker ripoff....I look at this performance and know it isnt true.

Burgess Meredith is the best Penguin, IMO. Fits the classic character perfectly.

Julie Newmar's Catwoman is the only one I wanted to see Batman marry one day, lol.

Caesar Romero's laugh is infectious.

Adam West is, to this day, the most faithful version of Batman.

In one of the recent articles with Nolan about Inception it was mentioned that Nolan has a poster from the 1966 Batman movie in his house.

I've been a fan for a very long time (I watched them first run in the 60's)....but it's always hard to pick a favorite villian among the cast. For now it's a tie between the big ones JOKER, RIDDLER, AND PENGUIN...with CATWOMAN in a special category due to multiple actresses playing her.

While looking at this thread, my daughter came by and saw the pics here....I have now put my DVDs of Batman on for her to watch per her request.

GHBATCLIMB.jpg

I just thought about this, but where is the Green Hornet standing in that room? Is he on top of Kato's back, is he like 7 feet tall and leaning over him, or does he have magical floating powers? :funny:

That Batman and Robin picture is wrong in so many levels. :funny:

ROFL! So true.

@ C. Lee: Has she ever seen it before? It's awesome that she's interested!

@ C. Lee: Has she ever seen it before? It's awesome that she's interested!
Oh yeah...she's only 3 1/2, but loves things like that. She was in her room playing with her Superman and Wonder Woman action figures with Lynda Carter's WW playing in the background....she then came in and saw me on the Hype reading this thread and asked for the Batman DD's (she says DDs instead of DVD:woot:) and had me change her into her Batman outfit.

Gorshin was King!!!

Fox & WB really need to get it together already, the world needs this series on Blu-Ray.

Oh yeah...she's only 3 1/2, but loves things like that. She was in her room playing with her Superman and Wonder Woman action figures with Lynda Carter's WW playing in the background....she then came in and saw me on the Hype reading this thread and asked for the Batman DD's (she says DDs instead of DVD:woot:) and had me change her into her Batman outfit.

D'awww. Awesome. :woot: That reminds me of myself at that age. Star Trek/Wars, Donner's Superman, Burton's Batman and the 60's Batman. I'd play with my action figures infront of the TV while those were on all the time.

That's probably my favorite memory of the show, enjoying it with my parents like that. I had outfits too. :funny:

Your daughter seems to be in good hands. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"