The Batman General News & Discussion Thread - Part 2

I recall Affleck bringing up a similar conversation with Bale after his casting. I’d love it if Bale rang Keaton up just to check if he’d gotten that treatment coming back to the role.

Funnily enough I just watched a interview with Keaton circa 92/Returns and he was talking about the issue and how he legit just "let it go" sometimes in the suit. It was a serious problem!

Is it me or almost every scene with Bruce in the film was so relatable? Like for example when Bella Real tells Bruce he could be doing more for the city its like when a teacher told you "hey you have potential but you are really lazy" Or the scene when Alfred tells him that the accountants are coming for breakfast Bruce was like "Here? Why?" That reminds me when your parents had visitors you didn't like because you just didn't fit in with those people.

Last edited:
Is it me or almost every scene with Bruce in the film was so relatable? Like for example when Bella Real tells Bruce he could be doing more for the city its like when a teacher told you "hey you have potential but you are really lazy" Or the scene when Alfred tells him that the accountants are coming for breakfast Bruce was like "Here? Why?" That reminds me when your parents had visitors you didn't like because you just didn't fit in with those people.

aRrLGPQ_460s.jpg

Decided to type in Batman in the Google search bar and browse, Y’know, as you do.

And I came across this interesting little article.

DC Penciler Chris Wozniak Claims The Batman Copies His Decades-Old Pitch That Went Unmade

While the similarities are very odd, I don’t think Reeves plagiarized anything. A lot of the elements here aren’t so incredibly unique to have been only thought up by one guy (I.E. turning the Riddler into a John Doe type of villain, Riddler sending a bomb intended for Bruce and a loved one receiving it instead).

Even then, the guy making all these claims doesn’t have much in the way of hard proof, but I thought it was curious enough to share here.

Last edited:
Decided to type in Batman in the Google search bar and browse, Y’know, as you do.

DC Penciler Chris Wozniak Claims The Batman Copies His Decades-Old Pitch That Went Unmade

While the similarities are very interesting, I don’t think Reeves plagiarized anything. A lot of the elements here aren’t so incredibly unique to have been only thought up by one guy (I.E. turning the Riddler into a John Doe type of villain, Riddler sending a bomb intended for Bruce and a ).

Even then, the guy making all these claims doesn’t have much in the way of hard proof, but I thought it was interesting enough to share here.

Virtually everything he mentions is either a Literal Batman Trope or something Matt obviously took from a prior comic source. Also for all the talk of this movie being Se7en lite, his pitch literally sounds like he just rewrote Se7en with Batman characters in it. So I find the claim of plagiarism pretty ironic

He claimed his story was written 5 years before se7en was released.

Which he waited until 2008 to pitch

You know

The same year THE DARK KNIGHT came out and Nolan's trilogy was going full steam ahead

Because that just makes so much sense

He could easily be someone trying to get a cut of the pie. But there's no proof as of yet. Either way doesn't change anything, if it's true then it's not that surprising considering it's Hollywood.

He could easily be someone trying to get a cut of the pie. But there's no proof as of yet. Either way doesn't change anything, if it's true then it's not that surprising considering it's Hollywood.

I doubt it

There's way too much that he tries to accuse Matt of that are flat out just Batman tropes for me to find this believable. If he really did write a pitch (of which he'd obviously need to do his research on via reading the comics), he'd know those are just basic Batman tropes rather than "owned" by him.

Like, he's gonna try and take credit for the idea of Gotham being a corrupt ****hole or the basic trope of a serial killer taunting over more murders to come? ****ing really?

A lot of the other plot comparisons are pretty reachy too

The plot relying so hard on Bruce's identity isn't in The Batman. Not in the way this dude wrote, anyway.

The whole "private hells" thing sounds like he just ripped off the "reflection" part of Dark Knight Returns with Two Face.

Trying to claim the plot synopsis is his is like claiming I own the plot synopsis "James Bond goes abroad to fight an evil mastermind and ends the movie in bed with a woman"

Riddler's stuff can just as easily be explained as inspired by the Zodiac Killer

The "big reveal" is flat out wrong lmao

The main bad guy of a movie wanting to kill everyone is the most basic trope in fiction

Joker didn't manipulate Riddler

Uslan's video is literally him simplifying his job so it can be explained to a child

And his threats of his next video are stupid. If he had anything substantial, he'd have put it in his first video. Not save it for a second.

Well it's certainly a curious situation.

Now I know that there is talk of the film being derivative, and I don't care too much about that in media (like movies, shows, games) as long as the artist is not 100% copying the inspiration and, of course, as long as what the artist is going for is executed very well, which I think is the case for The Batman. I think it is a great film with some flaws.

But it will be interesting to see if there is more to this story and if someone did take inspiration from Wozniak's pitch.

The source is Bounding Into Comics…?

C’mon, guys.

Exactly

Too much of this feels like a dude trying to just get famous by being the dude who accused Matt Reeves of plagiarism rather than him actually trying to get justice

This kind of reminds me of when Steve Engleheart basically took credit for TDK (as well as Batman 89).

The Dark Knight movie

It's always a sticky subject, because while most of the time I think the accusations of plagiarism are overboard and are most likely just a result of similar ideas and themes coalescing around the character, it also is just an unfortunate reality that writers and artists don't get any compensation when their ideas feature heavily in box office smash hits that make billions and I think that contributes to some level of resentment.

While the similarities are very odd, I don’t think Reeves plagiarized anything. A lot of the elements here aren’t so incredibly unique to have been only thought up by one guy (I.E. turning the Riddler into a John Doe type of villain, Riddler sending a bomb intended for Bruce and a loved one receiving it instead).

Even then, the guy making all these claims doesn’t have much in the way of hard proof, but I thought it was curious enough to share here.
It's funny because some of the things he claimed he pitched in 1990, Se7en ended up doing, so if anything he should be mad at David Fincher lol
It's also funny how his story that he alledges The Batman ripped off, is itself a rip off of The Dark Knight Returns and The Cult.

This kind of reminds me of when Steve Engleheart basically took credit for TDK (as well as Batman 89).

The Dark Knight movie

It's always a sticky subject, because while most of the time I think the accusations of plagiarism are overboard and are most likely just a result of similar ideas and themes coalescing around the character, it also is just an unfortunate reality that writers and artists don't get any compensation when their ideas feature heavily in box office smash hits that make billions and I think that contributes to some level of resentment.
I hadn’t heard this before. That’s really sad. Englehart wrote maybe one of my top 5 Batman stories in Strange Apparitions and I’ve always held him in high esteem. But this sounds very self indulgent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"