• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Batman General News & Discussion Thread - Part 2

Hopefully this is a good sign that the Reeves series factors into whatever plan Gunn and Safran are enacting even outside of its canon and will not be futzed with.

Are you guys going to stop being insufferable with this stuff now? I doubt. I'm not even going to link to any old post of mine, but Reeves has been too damn loud and very clear with his past statements (more obvious impossible:wall:), and yet some of you have been EXTREMELY annoying.
Nothing's changed, Phillips and Reeves are safe and out of all that universe bullsh!t, as it has always been. Y'all go rest.

Are you guys going to stop being insufferable with this stuff now? I doubt. I'm not even going to link to any old post of mine, but Reeves has been too damn loud and very clear with his past statements (more obvious impossible:wall:), and yet some of you have been EXTREMELY annoying.
Nothing's changed, Phillips and Reeves are safe and out of all that universe bullsh!t, as it has always been. Y'all go rest.
That's quite enough of that, thank you. Settle down and stop being needlessly aggro.

Lol I knew Gunn was going to tweet something but I wasn’t expecting Reeves to jump in as well lol .. Thank goodness.

As much as I had been entertaining this notion on and off for the past few months.........I am so relieved that Reeves won't have to work under the pressure of having everything fit into a shared universe, even if he was granted almost complete control.

This also possibly would've meant a gigantic monster Clayface and an interchangeable vanilla Mr. Freeze so I'm glad that this gives them the chance to be more creative on their side of things.

Surely this indicates that Gunn isn't interested in a big shared cinematic universe again? Wasn't the idea that we're only going to have one version of each character across all media from now on?

And if Batman is deliberately being kept separate, doesn't that mean they might well be doing the same thing with all of them? You can't do Justice League without Bats.

Can, in short, dare to dream?

These rumors are out of control. I really have come to loathe the clickbait game when it comes to this stuff. It's getting to a point where the so-called trades are sometimes no better than the average fansite dirtsheets.

You're right @dhandler01 that it's nothing new, and in some sense they've always been gossip rags, but in today's day and age where you have so much mis/disinformation floating around, I think they should be held accountable to do better and be more fact-based. I know that's asking a lot lol.

Yeah...problem is they won't be held accountable unless we stop feeding them.

The Batman scored three Critics Award noms.

Critics Choice Awards Film Nominations 2023 - Variety

Best Hair and Makeup

“Babylon” (Paramount Pictures)
“The Batman” (Warner Bros.)
“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” (Marvel Studios)
“Elvis” (Warner Bros.)
“Everything Everywhere All at Once” (A24)
“The Whale” (A24)

Best Visual Effects

“Avatar: The Way of Water” (20th Century Studios)
“The Batman” (Warner Bros.)
“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” (Marvel Studios)
“Everything Everywhere All at Once” (A24)
“RRR” (Variance Films)
“Top Gun: Maverick” (Paramount Pictures)

Best Score

Michael Giacchino – “The Batman” (Warner Bros.)
Justin Hurwitz – “Babylon” (Paramount Pictures)
John Williams – “The Fabelmans” (Universal Pictures)
Alexandre Desplat – “Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio” (Netflix)
Hildur Guðnadóttir – “Tár” (Focus Features)
Hildur Guðnadóttir – “Women Talking” (MGM/United Artists Releasing)

Surely this indicates that Gunn isn't interested in a big shared cinematic universe again? Wasn't the idea that we're only going to have one version of each character across all media from now on?

And if Batman is deliberately being kept separate, doesn't that mean they might well be doing the same thing with all of them? You can't do Justice League without Bats.

Can, in short, dare to dream?
My opinion? The Batman was too successful for them to mess with, so it's getting the Joker treatment: a separate pocket universe that Reeves will get to see through from start to finish.

Everything else will be structured within a shared universe concept. And I suspect that the DCU Batman is going to rely more heavily on the Bat Family to help differentiate it from Reeves' version. There's no way they try to build a comprehensive DC universe without Batman. They'll just need to be creative to allow for both to coexist.

I love the idea of a Keaton Batman movie, but it really feels like a case of "right movie, wrong time". I don't know if it makes a lick of sense to introduce another new Batman (Terry) who has (most likely) nothing to do with a new universe. Between that, Aquaman, The Flash, The Batman trilogy..... until we know what the DC's vision will be, it feels like too much of a mishmash of properties that are either doing well, doing fine, that simultaneously don't fit together.

As for the Reeves-verse news.... I have to admit, I'm slightly sad to hear that Rob won't be the DCU Batman. Even if the tone of The Batman didn't quite match what Gunn will (most likely) ultimately go for, the idea of him being a DCAU style Batman in these movies was really intriguing.

Last edited:
not a fan of the decision. would love to see Battinson with other heroes. but there's still chance. they could always be lying, or be on their obi wan what we said was "true from a certain POV" sh*t. If it is something in the works, they wouldn't like it leaked this early. but hey, gotta respect the decision if it's final

The trades don't publish stuff without backing. I'd wager there was probably some truth to the story, I don't see why it wouldn't. If you're put in charge of making one cohesive cinematic universe it'd at least make sense to consider the possibility of what'd be the cleanest solution to the Batman problem, if it didn't pan out it didn't pan out.
That being said, now that the cleanest solution to the Batman problem in the DCU is out, I'm very very worried about what's gonna happen with Batman in the DCU, since I think that now DC Studios is in a pretty tough spot.

My opinion? The Batman was too successful for them to mess with, so it's getting the Joker treatment: a separate pocket universe that Reeves will get to see through from start to finish.
Zaslav wanted Phillips to run DC months ago so what if they go with a new cinematic universe created from Phillips Jokerverse? Phillips is kind of a hack anyway so he can probably be easier to persuade.

Zaslav wants a unified universe like the MCU, but is he okay with his most popular hero getting a franchise separate from his main universe? Idk this is weird.

If James Gunn doesn’t revive the Batman Beyond project, he’s a fool. One of the only DC movies I really need to see. Keaton won’t be around forever, it’s time to get the ball rolling.
Nah, that needs to stay dead. Zero need to have another Batman thing going at the same time Reeves does his thing.

Zaslav wants a unified universe like the MCU, but is he okay with his most popular hero getting a franchise separate from his main universe? Idk this is weird.
It certainly doesn't make sense to me. I can't see any Justice League project without him.

well. this is what i'm saying. denying something doesn't necessarily mean its not true at this stage of planning.

Damn, Henry was a good Superman, but he belonged to a damned universe. They just denied the Batman rumor but anything can happen right now…

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"