The General Comic Discussion Thread - Part 2

In the end you either like Ram Vs run or not, there is no inbetween.
That can happen quite often with such kind of Runs, especially when you have something in the style of what Ram V does, how he tells a story and stuff.
But that is the beauty of comics, so many different styles and ways to tell stories about these characters.
I will say that i do look forward to when his Run ends, because i dont want his run to drag out for too long and lose what makes it interesting to me.
At first i was a bit sad when it was announced he would leave, but then i thought about that his way of Writing and stuff, maybe isnt suited for longer runs, so im fine with it.
Also im excited what the next team brings to the table, who it will be and all.

Spurrier has a bit of a hard stand since Adams did such a great Job.
Im not seeing too much talk about Spurriers run so far, which is never a good sign.
I do enjoy his run, but as you can see...there is not much to talk about.
Maybe that is why i dont see many people talk about it, because what is there to say?
Its fun and enjoyable...but nothing you go out of your way to recommend to people.
And its kind of sad since he doesnt do much wrong, which should be good...but he also doesnt do enough to make it a story people have to read.
I totally get and agree with everything you are saying. I can see why some like Ram V’s writing, but it’s just not my thing.

And Spurrier is a good writer, but probably not the best choice to follow Adams.

My biggest fear is that DC will rip the Flash mantle away from Wally and put it back on Barry. It seems like just a matter of time unfortunately. It’s kind of like having the Titans take the place of the JL. I’m actually really enjoying it. And I think that Beast Wars would have been a dumpster fire as a JL story, but it was really surprisingly good as a Titans story. But we know that this is all a matter of time before we return to the status quo.

I'm beginning to agree with @Mani-Man about Ram V's Detective run. I've found myself having very little patience for this book the last couple of months. Beautiful art and some moments of wonderfully poetic prose that ultimately led me to ask the question the great philosophers ask: "What the hell is happening?"

I applaud the experiment. It's been a while since Detective was doing anything really interesting, and I dig the Vertigo-of-old vibes, but I've lost track of where this story is going. Only a few more months to go. The Federici art has been a real joy however. More of that everywhere, please.

I've been loving the hell outta Spurrier's Flash. I give a lot of credit to Jeremy Adams for doing some pretty effortless rehab on Wally. But I won't pretend that the 60 Second War wasn't excruciatingly bad and a profoundly disappointing finish to his run. Spurrier has tapped into the weird, cosmic horror sci-fi that I love. Conceptually, I'm pretty engrossed by it. I like how Spurrier is digging into Wally's family dynamic with a little more grit to make it more human and relatable. Whatever the strife, they'll figure out how to overcome. That's what the Flash has always been about. Not to mention, I find Spurrier's take a pretty refreshing refrain from the Waid/Johns stylings we're more accustomed to.

I'm not worried about them hot-swapping Barry in for Wally, but if they did, they'd have to bring his mom back to life. It's not that I don't like Barry because I don't. I grew up reading all of my Dad's silver age flash comics. Barry is great. It's the Johns/Rebirth/Dead Mom Barry that I can't stand. That Barry mopes more about his mom than Batman does his parents. That its infected other media interpretations of Barry have only made it worse. Fix his mom, you fix Barry. But with issue #6, it just got real. I'm at once annoyed because I feel like this particular character very much outstayed his welcome over the last few years. However, his relation to Wally isn't exactly as intense as it is with Barry. I won't pretend that Wally turned this particular character into a whimpering coward under Mark Waid's brilliant pen. So I'm excited to see how Spurrier handles it.

For my next hot take, World's Finest. I think I'm giving it to this month, issue 25, and then dropping it. I've not been too impressed by any of the arcs and this Kingdom Come return just fell flat for me. It just never really rose to the occasion and felt half-cocked. One would assume that this story would have been a much bigger deal than it was treated so I'm a little puzzled by the fact that it wasn't. Overall, this book has felt like a beating heart approaching flatline. #25 sounds fun though so hopefully it delivers.

Now then, we move into the big book of the week for me. The incredible return of The Savage Sword of Conan! I'm a huge Conan fan, something I inherited from my Dad as a kid. I'd read his old Marvel color books and the Savage Sword magazine of old. We were both a little disappointed by Marvel's second attempts at the character. There was the overwhelming sense the character was being sanitized. It was missing a vibe that Titan has seen fit to restore. The Jim Zub color "Barbarian" comic has been the best book of the month every month for the last 9. And now, Titan has resurrected "Savage Sword" in all its magazine-sized black & white newsprint glory!

We get an awesome, classically typical Conan story by the always dependable John Arcudi and Max von Fafner, whose art I'm not familiar with but reminds me of Michal Janin. Conan fights dinosaurs in the desert and kills corrupt kings. It's great. Meanwhile, we get a cool Jim Zub prose story about Conan rescuing a prospective Virgin sacrifice, and Patrick Zircher delivers a pretty taut and moody first chapter of a three part Solomon Kane story.

It's a delight. That it is bi-monthly is the only downside. The MASSIVE upside is that this book is priced at $6.99 with 80 pages, no ads. If that's not enough of an incentive to check out this mag, you might be a hopeless case.

Conan the Barbarian #8 also came out this week. That's right. TWO Conan books in one day! This sees the conclusion of the second arc, and man. It is just too damn good. This arc takes place shortly after the events of Queen of the Black Coast, as Conan struggles with the loss of the first woman he's ever loved, while getting roped into a heist to steal an artifact that winds up being the black stone from the first arc. Chaos ensues and Conan, now possessed by the evil spirit servants of one Thulsa Doom, struggles to save his own soul. This is evidently leading up to a summer Conan event that sees more Robert E. Howard characters, specifically (and obviously) Kull and Brule the Spear-Slayer make appearances. Doug Braithwaite delivers the pencils on this arc. While his style is markedly different from the Buscema-esque brilliance of Roberto De la Torre (who comes back next month), he brings a more atmospheric grounded approach to the story that Jim Zub writes the hell out of.

Penguin #7. Mr. King delivers a pretty incredible conclusion to this little 2-part break that retells the beginning of Batman's relationship with Oswald Copplepot.

This is the sleeper Tom King book of the year. The use of ever-shifting POVs to tell the story leads to a very engrossing and dynamic read, especially as all the POVs begin to converge. Everyone is using everyone. The suspense is that they all know but don't let on. Once again King tries something different and succeeds. DC has relegated this to a 12 issue Maxi series. If King can stick the landing and make this thing come together cohesively (as this book was initially announced as an ongoing), this could be a book that really wows people. In the Batman world, this ranks among his best.

First Comics week of March…cant believe we are already 3 months into 2024

Batman #145

One thing I find sad is that the Zur En Arrh story hasn’t been done sooner, because especially in terms of the joker…it would have had such a cool concept.
The more I think about it, the more I like Joker involving in it.

Like, Imagine that the whole “Joker never cared for who is under the mask” because Joker realized soon that the Zur En Arrh batman…is who he considers the real batman and all these years pushed to get this version out.
And with every encounter Bruce has, this part got stronger because the Joker made this part of Bruce stronger and stronger, pushed him to the limits and all that.
I like this idea a lot and wished this would have been a thing sooner.
It gives the whole dynamic a new layer with Joker simply not caring about Bruce Wayne because he always saw the Personality of Bruce existing, that is Zur En Arrh.
That gives so many layers to Joker and Batmans relationship.

Anyway, the story picks up again and im again getting really into it.
It’s a up and down constantly, but when its good…its really good.
Really fun read and I am very curious how the whole arc will end, how Bruce will defeat Zur.

While the Regular Cover works for the story, I love Matteo Scaleras.
Batman on a rooftop, covered in shadows, the batsymbol behind him, snow is falling…that is peak Batman Visuals.

Birds of Prey #7

I can only repeat myself on this, because it stays on its level, has fantastic character interaction and a fun story.
Still a super surprising run, I really didn’t expect much from it…but now I don’t want to miss any issue.
Goes to show that in Comics everything is possible if you are a good writer.
I didn’t thought I would love this team as much as I do now, didn’t thought they would work as good together as they do.
I love this so much because it shows how there are no limits to the DC characters…if you have a good team on the books, everything works.

The Covers are also always fun, be it regular or Variant…fun stuff there.
I prefer however the regular one, as you know by now…im a fan of Covers that fit the tone or story.

Shazam #9

Bringing in the Creeper is so completely wild and I love it.
Been saying this for a long time that the Creeper has a lot of potential as a character.
You can do fun things but also super messed up stuff with the character.
Having him show up in Shazam is wild but I really liked the vibe Shazam and Creeper had in this issue.
They fit surprisingly well together and it made for a fun read.

Shazam continues to be a ton of fun.

The Regular cover is so good because it shows how creepy you could make the Creeper look.
Very cool.

The Bat-Man: First Knight #1

Woah, that was really cool.
The art was a bit wonky at times, but overall I really liked this book.
I love the style of it in terms of writing and Art…they managed to capture the vibe of the time this is set in, and that makes for a incredible fun read.
At times it felt a bit dragged out, but overall I had a ton of fun with this.

Regular Cover is cool, but Ramón Pérez one is sooooooo cool.
There Is just something about this kind of Batman Cowl, that is so awesome.

4 Books that were a lot of fun to read.

Pretty small week this week, no where near as fun as last week.

Birds of Prey #7 was a lot of fun, if only set-up for part 1 of a two-part story. I much prefer Leonardo Romero's art over any of the fill-ins we've gotten so his return is much anticipated. My only quibble with this book is the art reproduction. Why does it look like an awful, low-res scan of an old comic? It's noisy and looks slightly defocused. The book since the beginning has looked like this and I can't wrap my head around why that is. I assume it's an artistic choice, but why?

The Bat-Man: First Knight #1. I kinda shrugged my shoulders on this one. I dig Mike Perkins but Jurgens as a writer is pretty hit or miss for me. He has an old school sensibility to his writing that doesn't really feel appropriate for this kind of book. He overwrites, and his exposition is painfully on the nose. The book, as a whole, feels like a very watered down imitation of Sandman Mystery Theatre or, to be more specific to Batman, the elseworld Batman: Gotham Noir one-shot by Brubaker and Philips from 2001. It just feels like a semi-gritty standard superhero story transposed to a different time with obvious exposition about what the time period should be, without ever really bothering to create that time period beyond just visually. This could take place in 1918, 1956 or 1976. It wouldn't make a difference. The script doesn't delve into what makes the world operate in any impactful way. It's just window dressing, and not particularly well crafted window dressing, either. Perhaps I'm being too hard on the book, but if you're going to be doing pulp-tinged seedy superhero stories, Sandman Mystery Theatre is the barometer with which to measure that. Unfortunately, The Bat-Man: First Knight doesn't even come close.

Anyone else an Infinite subscriber?

I haven’t had any releases this week. Does anyone know what’s going on there?

Anyone else an Infinite subscriber?

I haven’t had any releases this week. Does anyone know what’s going on there?

I hope not a serious problem, never heard people say that Infinite is unstable or so.
Hope they fix whatever issue there is.

Small comics week for me this time, only 3 books.
Which is fine, had a rather busy week.

Action Comics #1063

Fun final of this really neat arc.
The Joker in it feels a bit weird, having him in such roles always feels off.
But I get it and it doesn’t hurt the story much.
It was a fun arc for sure and did something neat with Bizzaro.
So im happy.

As for Covers, Regular for me.

Batman and Robin #7

As usual, I love how this book tries more to build a relationship between Damian and Bruce, and adds more actual family stuff that feels like its more than an act.
Bruce being an actual father, Damian acting like a son…that is my jam, I like that a ton.
Add to that Manbat and Flatline…it’s a nice read.
It has a good balance and I really like it in terms of the visuals.

It has a few good covers that all are very cool, but I prefer the Regular one since it as usual, fits the story.

Green Lantern #9

This keeps getting better.
Even though I don’t know all the details of the Green Lantern world, it’s a fun read and I want to learn more.
It is so much fun to read, the art is nice and the general vibe of this feels good.

That Juanjo López Cover is awesome, but the regular is cool too.

So yeah, short and sweet…but a lot of fun.
No complaints on my end.

Anyone pick up Batman: The First Knight? I ended up enjoying quite a bit.

Green Lantern #9 was fantastic. Even got a mention of one of my favorites, Larfleeze! Hopefully he appears somewhere down the road, along with Saint Walker.

I think I'm going to start picking up Nightwing, curious to see how Tom Taylor's run ends.

Interview has me very excited to read Dark Age and the fact that Mark Russell and Mike Allred are planning a trilogy with Wonder Woman being the next book and possibly more beyond that. Yeah can't wait.
I had never heard of these guys until Superman: Space Age, but that turned out to be rather magnificent, so I’ll be reading both their next Trinity books for sure. :up:

I had never heard of these guys until Superman: Space Age, but that turned out to be rather magnificent, so I’ll be reading both their next Trinity books for sure. :up:
Yeah I’ve known of Mike Allred for years but Superman: Space Age was my introduction to Mark Russell and now I’m a fan so much so I bought his Flintstones book for DC but haven’t had time to read it yet lol going to get there. Reading the Starman compendium’s right now as well as my monthly titles so gonna get there.

Oh, you NEED to check out Mike Allred's Madman then. He also did a brilliant Metamorpho story with Neil Gaiman for DC's Wednesday Comics a few years ago. If he draws it, I'm usually there.

I’m currently revisiting the masterpiece that is John Ostrander’s Spectre run. It’s sooooo good.

I’m hoping that Infinite finally updates this Wednesday. I don’t know what’s going on there.

Gonna start with the bad this week.

World's Finest #25. I'm pretty happy I'm officially dropping this book. I have it on order through #26 but won't be reading it. I've had a hard time getting into this book since after the first arc. I usually like Mark Waid A LOT. Superman: Birthright is one of my favorite Superman stories of all time. His "Last Will & Testament of Lex Luthor" book, whenever that wants to come out, had a very strong and impressionable start. His runs on both The Flash and Daredevil are textbook examples of classic superhero comic storytelling.World's Finest has had a hard time even scratching that surface. This book just kind of...exists. The stories are so conventional as to not even stand out amongst the general superhero fare we get every week. The Kingdom Come prequel felt insignificant considering such a return to a classic story. There are certainly better stories about how Luthor and The Joker teamed up. This is not one of them, nor does it come close to being so. I could hardly make my way through the book, and when I got to the preview of the next arc, I just decided to close the book and put it back in the bag. Unfortunately, World's Finest has felt pretty disposable to me. I'll dip back in when a new creative team comes on in DC doesn't cancel it first.

Now then, onto the good:

Batman/Dylan Dog #1. I've been a fan of Dylan Dog comics for a few years. There was that movie with Brandon Routh from 15 years ago that resulted in Dark Horse reprinting in a fat collection of English translations with these *****in' Mike Mignola covers that led me to discover the character. The movie was awful. The comics were awesome. Very meloncolic and cool in the way that only Europeans can be. And not without a touch of the old world Gothic horror. So imagine my delight when DC announced this English translation of the Batman/Dylan Dog story that came out in Italy a year or two ago in a fat, 80 page color book for 6 bucks. I'm not exactly sure who does what art-wise, but I'm a fan of Werther Del'Edera from his work on a Hellblazer book called Dark Entries from years ago. He, along with Gigi Cavenego and colorist Giovanna Niro, deliver an evocative, Mario Bava-esque tour through London. It's colorful but nightmarish. Shadowy and psychedelic all at once. It's great. Roberto Recchioni can be accused of not bringing any particularly new insights into Batman's psyche, but he doesn't need it. Crossovers of this kind often don't, instead opting to present pretty distilled versions of the characters we know. We get the hard-ass Batman who doesn't like working with anyone, despite having multiple Robins vs Dylan's often freewheeling, lackadaisical forlorn wit. This was a lot of fun. The rest of the series, also oversized but at 64 pages, looks even more promising with appearances by Constantine and Etrigan.

Helen of Wyndhorn #1. Tom King and Bilquis Evely just win at comics. This book was so great. Lilith Appleton, newly hired by Barnabas Cole, lord of Wyndhorn House, is tasked with locating Helen Cole, his grandaughter and daughter of recently deceased CK Cole, a writer of lurid pulp fantasy novels, and bringing her home. Helen is a real roughneck, even at 16, smoking and drinking and getting arrested. Her lifestyle is a marked contrast to the Wyndhorn house she now inherits. As she gets used to living in the sprawling mansion, it suddenly seems as if the creatures of Helen's fathers novels actually exist, which is compounded further when Helen's grandfather actually shows up. King's mixing of Robert E Howard and Sword & Sorcery with the gothic is just bang on. The writing leans more towards the verbose and literate, similar to how he wrote Ruthye in Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow but King has such a handle on that style of writing that it never becomes a bore or a chore. Evely's artwork is just straight up gorgeous. She tells so much story in every panel. She creates mood and atmosphere and all sorts of sensations with her delicate linework. Matheus Lopes's coloring only adds to the ethereal nature of Evely's artwork. It's such a profoundly beautiful book, dripping with pathos, humanity and and high adventure. Of his recent work, this might be King's best series debut since at least Human Target (there's a dope variant cover by Greg Smallwood that was worth double dipping on). Bilquis Evely surpasses by miles her work on Supergirl. I don't think she's ever won an Eisner as an artist, but she definitely deserves one. Her artwork is just unreal.

Hellblazer: Dead in Amerca #3. With this issue, we see how the stray grains of Morpheus's magical sand has embedded itself into the very fabric of modern America. We see how it corrupts the very idea of the "American Dream" and the horrors that come with it, manifesting as America's tall tales made physical. I'm going to be honest when I say that this book went for the throat, politically, VERY hard. We follow a right-wing militia man tracking a Mexican woman with her daughter trying to cross the border, as the ideas of what the American Dream means, clash. It's an incredibly disturbing, hard hitting story. Not exactly sure what it has to do with Constantine per se, but if you've read the early Jaime Delano Hellblazer stories, this chapter is very similar to Hellblazer #5, "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" about small town America and Vietnam. It's the hard hitting critique of America that only British writers can do. This book is so great.

Lastly, Wonder Woman #7. This book was laugh out loud funny. King does "Slice of Life" stories in superhero comics better than anyone, as he really gets to the core of the characters. Wonder Woman getting aggravated trying to find a parking spot was great. Despite everything stacked against her, it's an argument over a parking spot that really gets to her. Superman's dad jokes were hysterical. It was just a very fun, heartwarming issue as Diana and Clark try to figure out what to get Batman for his birthday. What they come up with is especially touching. I was a little worried about Guillem March doing the artwork here, since his work leans very much in the direction of cheesecake. But he restrained himself good and proper. His art was appropriately comical and restrained. Another win for Mr. King.

It's finally happening!!!

superman-triangle-era.jpg

Now I just hope they follow through with all the volumes!!! :mrk:

World's Finest #25. I'm pretty happy I'm officially dropping this book. I have it on order through #26 but won't be reading it. I've had a hard time getting into this book since after the first arc. I usually like Mark Waid A LOT. Superman: Birthright is one of my favorite Superman stories of all time. His "Last Will & Testament of Lex Luthor" book, whenever that wants to come out, had a very strong and impressionable start. His runs on both The Flash and Daredevil are textbook examples of classic superhero comic storytelling.World's Finest has had a hard time even scratching that surface. This book just kind of...exists. The stories are so conventional as to not even stand out amongst the general superhero fare we get every week. The Kingdom Come prequel felt insignificant considering such a return to a classic story. There are certainly better stories about how Luthor and The Joker teamed up. This is not one of them, nor does it come close to being so. I could hardly make my way through the book, and when I got to the preview of the next arc, I just decided to close the book and put it back in the bag. Unfortunately, World's Finest has felt pretty disposable to me. I'll dip back in when a new creative team comes on in DC doesn't cancel it first.
I’ve actually loved World’s Finest quite a bit. However, I must admit that while I liked the setup for the Kingdom Come prequel, the execution was a bit off and just serves as a reminder to me that that world really belongs to Alex Ross and not Mark Waid. Waid basically wrote the words of the story that Ross dreamt up. But I’m not sure that Waid really owns that story, and it shows whenever he goes back to that universe.

But that’s aside, Waid is still probably my favorite writer all-time, or at least sits at the head of the table with Kirby and Wein.

Nice Comics week ahead.

Batman '89: Echoes #2

Finally issue 2 of this.
I love the world building and how the art manages to recreate some actors and stuff.
That one character looks a lot like Burton, I like this a lot.
But at the same time the art is still too bright, which I don’t like.
This doesn’t look like the 89 world, is way too clean and full of color…I would have preferred more darker visuals.
Still, its nicely done and a lot of fun to read.
I would love for them to do such a book for Schumachers Batman too one day.
The Cover is so awesome, it captures the visuals of Burtons Batman better than the comic itself.
Very strong cover.

Batman / Superman: World's Finest #25

Something about the issue didn’t work for me, I cant say what.
It was wild and wacky, I feel like when reading this later down the line I will have more fun with it.
I guess I want to see more main Arc stuff instead of such filler stories from this.
It doesn’t help when the Cover looks like this and the story itself is visual not the same vibe.

There are a few good covers out there for this, but I like the regular one a lot.

Nightwing #112

This is my Jam, this is what I need far more.
The Flashback with Bruce explaining why they cant act with anger towards criminals, the whole team up and all that…its so good.
Batfamily stuff is where you can get my full attention, especially when its done in a positive way.
Loved this issue a lot.

I love Dan Moras cover, but the Regular one with the white background is very effective.

Superman #12

A very nice way to end this arc and further tackle the Clark/Lex Dynamic which is very good here and gets better.
Im getting used to a “not so evil” Lex for a while now…I don’t know how everyone else feels.
But I have the feeling making Lex a “good guy” could permanently be a good idea.
We will see where this goes, either way is fine for me.
In general I love a lot of things this book does, it’s a change of pace I appreciate a lot.

Clayton Henrys cover is so nice, but the Regular one works the best for this.

Wonder Woman #7

At first I wasn’t sure since the arc is very serious and all, so bringing in a filler issue that is so different, could have gone wrong.
But Kings writing here never feels too out of place or so.
It is very strong and fun what he delivers here.
What I liked the most is that it shows why I love the Trinity so much, their friendship.
I know I often say I want DC to do something Romanticly with Batman and Wonder Woman, but if I can get this on a weekly base, I would be fine.
The Friendship of the Trinity is something else, it is something that always feels so very special.
Even the smallest things that shows their bond, is so incredible strong.
Them just spending time together is something I could watch so often.
DC should consider doing a Trinity book…its so rare to have them together for longer, so I would love to see a book with them having adventures on a regular base.

The Regular cover makes it seem a bit like they are going to fight, so I prefer Guillem Marchs cover a bit more.

That was a fun week, I enjoyed everything.

I’m on week three that DC Universe Infinite hasn’t uploaded new content. Has anyone else run into this?

I’m on week three that DC Universe Infinite hasn’t uploaded new content. Has anyone else run into this?

Have you tried deleting the App? How do you access it, via the Computer?
A short google search indicates that the Service is struggling quite a bit, but not much on missing new content it seems.
That seems not to be a widespread problem.
Only thing i can think of, is getting in contact with support, cleaning the cache and stuff on PC and deleting the app and installing it again.

The Service is still not avaliable here in Germany so i cant really help there, sorry.

Last comics week of March

Detective Comics #1083

Make it short…Typical Ram V goodness.
There is not much else to say really.
Okay maybe that it is your typical Hype issue done by Ram V.
You know, the whole “Batman was gone and now comes back to gotham like a hurricane” thing we get once in a while.
These issues are always cool, but having Ram V do one…is next level.
Other than that, it’s the usual…you either love Ram V or not.

And as usual, the Regular cover Is so awesome.

The Flash #7

On that it’s the typical too.
The Run is fun, but nothing really you gotta talk in great lengths about.
It’s a good issue of a solid run.
Its fun.
I feel bad for not saying much more, but there is not much to say.
The story goes forward, the writing and art is consistent…but there is nothing that really elevates The Flash or so.
Its fun.

Regular Cover is nice.

Green Arrow #10

That was a nice issue…you just can sell me good family stuff easily.
So that was fun.
The Book goes back and forth between moving forward and standing still…very confusing at times.

Regular Cover is fine here because I don’t think this issue has many variant covers.

The Penguin #8

Again this Book delivers and really elevates the Penguin as character.
Very strong writing here again and the art is super neat.

The Regular cover is so cool.

Yeah, good week of Comics.
Ram V of course delivers here the 5 star work as usual for me.
But the rest, yeah is fun.

I've never read any Justice League Dark. Anybody have any thoughts/feelings on Tynion and Ram V's Rebirth run? I see it's getting an omnibus next month and am intrigued.

I've never read any Justice League Dark. Anybody have any thoughts/feelings on Tynion and Ram V's Rebirth run? I see it's getting an omnibus next month and am intrigued.
I skipped over Tynion's run (as I'm not a fan of any of his work) and jumped on when V became co-writer at #19. Ram V's run there was really just an extension of Tynion's, tying up his loose ends. It actually picked up a bit when the book got absorbed into the main Justice League book as a back-up. Not sure if Bendis' awful run and/or Death of the Justice League ending the title had anything to do with it, but the new story started really strong with some really clever storytelling and awesome artwork and then seemed to go nowhere before ending completely.

Granted, I read the Justice League Dark book in floppy format but read the rest of it as a digital collection on the DC Infinite Universe app so I'm not sure if I'm missing something. But overall, something about a team of supernatural characters teaming up is very appealing. The downside is, I don't think anyone has really be able to capitalize on it as an intelligent, sophisticated horror comic. It just reads like kinda/sorta spOoOoky capes book, and is therefore nothing special. It's been DC's problem with integrating some of those characters back into the DCU proper. Constantine isn't a superhero. He's not a chain smoking Dr. Strange shooting glyphs out of his hands. So I wouldn't say it's worth plunking down the cash for an omnibus but is worth reading if you have the app or find the floppies for less than cover price.

I’m in the minority here, but I really enjoyed Tynion’s JLD. I thought that it was a lot of fun and I thought that bringing Diana and Man Bat on the team were wonderful decisions. Plus, Upside Down Man was a great villain.

First week of April

Batman #146

I hope we don’t get distracted again by some filler issues etc and this arc gets seen through to the end now.
Because it slowly reaches the point of being too long, we need it now to move to the finish line.
It’s a cool arc, but im slowly getting ready to move on.
I liked the issue a lot and Zdarsky really manages to make Zur look incredible strong, I think he is the strongest opponent batman had for quite some time.
So Im curious how Zdarsky has Bruce outsmart Zur who seemingly has all under Control.
Will be cool to see.
But what I don’t like is how Zdarsky again handles Damian.
We got a Batman and Robin book that really starts to get into the Father/Son relationship, then you get this where first Bruce abandons Damian and then Damian gets tricked by Zur so easy and all.
It’s a bit weird.

As for Covers…im not a fan of the Regular one at all because its misleading.
So I prefer any of the others.

Birds of Prey #8

That was a fun issue.
The Arc so far is nice and as usual I like the bond that is formed between them all.
It really is fun to read and the writing is enjoyable.

The Regular cover is fine, but you cant go wrong either way.

Shazam #10

New creative team and a fun start on that.
The Art works well and the writing is off to a great start.
The Regular cover is fun to look at and fits the story…so that gets my vote.

3 fun books, that’s a good week in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"