The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
tec_48_first_batmobile.jpg

jokers_five_way_revenge.jpg

batman_164_new_look_era_batmobile.jpg

ec61178952870ec1d0e0efa2c1d7d05a.jpg

Aside from a couple of those, none have that classic, iconic appeal associated with the batmobile, Reeves' one less so. This is like the argument that Batman killed in the early issues so him kiling in the movies is honoring the canon.

Sorry, I don't buy that. Those batmobiles like the Neal Adams one were basically just cars. And Reeves' batmobile is basically another car. So, homage? Nah... I think there's a good chance Reeves saw the West batmobile and thought to himself that it would be cool to modernise it like that. But that's it and I wouldn't call the West influence a classic one. Classic batmobile is the Burton, the Schumacher and the Snyder ones with the long profile. And the batsuit's grey is very, very dark and meshes with the black as one color kinda from afar.
Everything to do with West is as classic as it gets. The 60s series is one of the biggest jewels in the Batman crown and its iconography is incredibly well-known and influential.

Aside from a couple of those, none have that classic, iconic appeal associated with the batmobile, Reeves' one less so. This is like the argument that Batman killed in the early issues so him kiling in the movies is honoring the canon.
Except there are a lot of examples spread out across the history of Batman of Batmobiles that resemble Reeve's Batmobile.

Sorry, I don't buy that. Those batmobiles like the Neal Adams one were basically just cars. And Reeves' batmobile is basically another car. So, homage? Nah... I think there's a good chance Reeves saw the West batmobile and thought to himself that it would be cool to modernise it like that. But that's it and I wouldn't call the West influence a classic one. Classic batmobile is the Burton, the Schumacher and the Snyder ones with the long profile. And the batsuit's grey is very, very dark and meshes with the black as one color kinda from afar.
You’re basically agreeing with him and then disagreeing with yourself lol.

I don't get it...60's/70's comic and TV influences aren't classic Batman aesthetics because you don't like them as much? And Schumacher's batmobiles are classic now? Snyder's??

Last edited:
Everything to do with West is as classic as it gets. The 60s series is one of the biggest jewels in the Batman crown and its iconography is incredibly well-known and influential.
"Classic" entails something being ageless, having class, quality, depth. The West Batman has its place only in the pop culture importance side of Batman things, nothing greater than that.
You’re basically agreeing with him and then disagreeing with yourself lol.
I don't get this.
60's/70's comic and TV influences aren't classic Batman aesthetics because you don't like them as much? And Schumacher's batmobiles are classic now? Snyder's??
They are of an era that aren't defining of the character to this day. The 80s aesthetics are defining to this day, probably forever will be, those are classic (obviously the 80s built upon the previous decades but that's only natural).
And what don't you get that the classic batmobile image that pops in everybody's head is that of it having a long profile and that those I mentioned have that?

I remember seeing someone saying here that it'd be cool if we'd get Drive type of sequences in the movie and that would be really cool.

And I'm excited to hear how this batmobile sounds. Apparently it's very loud.

"Classic" entails something being ageless, having class, quality, depth. The West Batman has its place only in the pop culture importance side of Batman things, nothing greater than that.
You're operating from a narrow view of classic then because Batman '66 is a better comedy than more dramatic iterations of Batman are dramas. It's one of the great classic TV comedies and remains hugely influential.

'Ageless' has nothing to do with whether or not something is a classic or even quality, 60s Star Trek is as rooted in its time as it possibly could be and no one could reasonably argue it isn't a classic.

I remember seeing someone saying here that it'd be cool if we'd get Drive type of sequences in the movie and that would be really cool.

We can definitely agree on this. :up::ybat:

Reeeeeal H O O M A N B E A N

I appreciate that he enjoys both directors and their visions.

Matt has officially confirmed the movie is set in modern day:
“I just felt like well, what I’d love to do is to get a version of this Batman character where he’s not yet fully formed. Where there’s something to do in this context with who that guy would be in this world today, and to ground him in all of these broken ways. Because at the end of the day, this guy is doing all of this to deal with trauma in his past.”

I didn't think it was going to be some period piece.

I wonder what would be Matt Reeves take on the Joker character...

The "Pop Culture Importance" side of things has way more merit than any purely subjective idea of what's "Classic". To this day, the '66 Batmobile is one of the two most iconic versions of the Batmobile, the other being the '89 Batmobile. The Schumacher and Snyder Batmobile's have nowhere near the same level of impact or popularity.

The "Pop Culture Importance" side of things has way more merit than any purely subjective idea of what's "Classic".
Other than the kids who grew up watching it nobody cares about the Adam West Batman TV show, dude. And as the years go by it will be all the more forgotten. You put that show in front of a kids audience today and they'll want to go do something else. Unlike, say a TV show like TAS. And no adult that doesn't have a nostalgic connection to it will sit down and think to themselves "Oh boy, what a timeless and classic adaption of the Batman character am I witnessing to this day", lol...

So, even whatever "pop culture importance" the Adam West show still has is running out by the day...
To this day, the '66 Batmobile is one of the two most iconic versions of the Batmobile, the other being the '89 Batmobile.
Again, other than a niche audience, literally nobody cares in the GA population about that car. Most of them have not even seen it and they would never recognise it in the streets as a batmobile if they saw it for crying out loud, lol... The Westmobile is nowhere near its importance among the general populace as the Burton mobile and the idea of what the "batmobile" looks like in their heads. Don't hype yourself.
The Schumacher and Snyder Batmobile's have nowhere near the same level of impact or popularity.
You should go read again what I've typed there. Never said those batmobiles had any impact whatsoever. But what was stated was that they've kept the iconic aspect of the Burton mobile in them, which is the long profile. Something that the West & Reeves mobiles don't have.

You should go read again what I've typed there. Never said those batmobiles had any impact whatsoever.

I never claimed you did. You judged them as classic using very myopic, subjective standards, and I disregarded those standards.

I'd respond to the rest of your post, but honestly, your points were so full of hot air, utterly biased, and clearly unsupported by any actual fact whatsoever, that there'd be no point in addressing them.

You judged them as classic using very myopic, subjective standards, and I disregarded those standards.
Good for you, but I don't care. I mean, it's not like you changed something, lol... You might never get it, or more like you pretend not to, but the classic aesthetic for the batmobile is that of the vehicle spotting a long profile. So the Schumacher and Snyder ones having that gets them into that family of the classic batmobile aesthetic. Detach our arguing for a second and realise that we did not make those rules. But go and pretent whatever you want to if you want...
I'd respond to the rest of your post, but honestly, your points were so full of hot air, utterly biased, and clearly unsupported by any actual fact whatsoever, that there'd be no point in addressing them.
Nah, you won't respond because you know all I said is true, lol.

Good for you, but I don't care.

Cool. I see that what I said was about as useless as your views on Adam West Batman.

Nah, you won't respond because you know all I said is true, lol.

If anything you said in that post was true, you would have facts and evidence to support your claims...which you don't. I won't respond because I know you are utterly incapable of proving, among other points you made, the following in any meaningful way:

1. That the only people who care about Adam West Batman are the people who grew up on it as kids.

2. That Outside of a Niche Audience, no one cares about the '66 Batmobile.

3. That a modern kids audience would not be receptive to Batman '66.

4. That No Adult without a Nostalgic connection could regard Batman '66 as Timeless or Classic.

5. That no one in the general audience would recognize the West Mobile as a Batmobile.

6. That Most of the General Audience has never seen the '66 Batmobile.

...You might never get it, or more like you pretend not to, but simply saying things does not automatically make said things true. But go and "pretent whatever you want to if you want".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"