• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than the kids who grew up watching it nobody cares about the Adam West Batman TV show, dude. And as the years go by it will be all the more forgotten. You put that show in front of a kids audience today and they'll want to go do something else. Unlike, say a TV show like TAS. And no adult that doesn't have a nostalgic connection to it will sit down and think to themselves "Oh boy, what a timeless and classic adaption of the Batman character am I witnessing to this day", lol...

So, even whatever "pop culture importance" the Adam West show still has is running out by the day...
'Timeless' is irrelevant. All art is of its time and sometimes that's part of the appeal.

Modern Batman fans rediscovering and gaining an appreciation for '66 is a whole thing, dude, it hasn't been viewed as an embarrassment to be run away from except by the most self-conscious fans for a long time. I have no nostalgic connection to a show that aired nearly thirty years before I was born yet I appreciated it enormously as an adult because it's a clever, well-written comedy.

Everyone has some knowledge of '66 and its iconography. Whether they've seen it or not.

tumblr_oreq4n7Omx1qezcveo1_500.gifv

tumblr_oreq4n7Omx1qezcveo2_500.gifv

If anything you said in that post was true, you would have facts and evidence to support your claims...which you don't.
We are not in an academic setting, dude. I'm not going to go and publish a research paper to prove what I'm saying and neither will you do the same to disprove anything that I'm claiming. Lol, chill. It seems that I've hit a chord with what I said about the West Batman stuff...
Cool. I see that what I said was about as useless as your views on Adam West Batman.
You can see the glass half empty if you so choose, I guess. I just believe what I believe and you can believe otherwise. It's cool. Whatever.

Also, I see that you didn't question in your bullet points me stating that the classic batmobile aesthetic is that of the Burton mobile, which Schumacher and Snyder followed, which is nice of you.

I have no nostalgic connection to a show that aired nearly thirty years before I was born yet I appreciated it enormously as an adult because it's a clever, well-written comedy.
I'm glad you are discovering it and enjoying it, but the audience that you are a part of that does exactly that is a small one.
All art is of its time...
You just killed the word 'classic'.

I'm glad you are discovering it and enjoying it, but the audience that you are a part of that does exactly that is a small one.

You just killed the word 'classic'.
The Beatles are as '60s as it gets. Deeply, profoundly rooted in the sound, aesthetics and culture of the time - it's in the DNA of their music. They are at the same time, obviously, a classic band. The effects, politics and style of the original Star Trek are dated as hell but they're part of the appeal and no one would argue it isn't a classic.

Imagine a world not consumed with pestilence where we have set pictures and news to discuss instead.

We are not in an academic setting, dude. I'm not going to go and publish a research paper to prove what I'm saying and neither will you do the same to disprove anything that I'm claiming.

Because your claims have no merit...as I essentially told you before.

But its nice of you to confirm that you cannot and will not back up anything you say.

Also, I see that you didn't question in your bullet points me stating that the classic batmobile aesthetic is that of the Burton mobile, which Schumacher and Snyder followed, which is nice of you.

By the time I hit 6 examples of purely subjective points that you were incapable of actually proving, I didn't really need to mention any more.

classic

adjective
1. judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.

noun
1. work of art of recognized and established value.

classic

adjective
1. judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.

noun
1. work of art of recognized and established value.
Okay, last word from me on this topic: With all due respect, you do realize there is absolutely nothing about a classic not being rooted in its time and place there, right?

Because your claims have no merit...as I essentially told you before.
Okay... For the record, I feel the same way about your claims. LOL...
But its nice of you to confirm that you cannot and will not back up anything you say.
You haven't done anything more than I have.
With all due respect, you do realize there is absolutely nothing about a classic not being rooted in its time and place there, right?
That's not what makes something a classic.

Reeves is a huge fan of Tim Burton’s goth Christmas sequel to his box-office smash Batman movie. “I love Batman Returns. Michelle Pfeiffer was incredible. I love it, I love it so much. It’s so incredible and she’s so incredible in it. I just think it’s such a beautiful movie. I love the Penguin stuff when he’s going down the sewers as the baby. It’s just like, wow. This is the beautiful thing about Tim Burton at his best in that way that he’s got that connection into the fantastical that feels very, very personal.”

a483fc3c2204899836e282c520ba02827a841ad0.gifv

The BvS batmobile is the best possible adaption of honoring the classic batmobile aesthetics and having a practical application. It's literally the only batmobile ever to be able to jump realistically without needing suspending your disbelief. None of the other cars could conveivably without getting wrecked.
Also the many, many defensive and offensive features that it had that are as bat-y as it gets (sans the machine gun at the front I guess, lol), plus the fact that Bruce Wayne designed it and built it himself from scratch makes it the most compelling batmobile ever.

The Snydermobile was about the most generic followup to the tumbler they could possibly have done. It's fine, but, immediately following the Tumbler up with another tank just slightly more comic booky was pretty uninspired.

Not to mention it was only really used in a messy, ugly, murder-y chase so it wasn't exactly showcased well.

I think that Batmobile was horrible, but we still aren't far away enough from those Batfleck movies to conclude whether or not they'll be remembered by general audiences in pop culture

I think it's waaaay too early to state whether or not Batfleck's BvS Batmobile was a classic or not.

Honestly, its not a classic. It's derivative of actual classic Batmobiles, and is part of an already failed version of the character.

I feel even worse about the Reevesmobile. It's the biggest downgrade ever coming from another batmobile. I honestly get second-hand embarassment and feel bad for its fans when I see it lined up along all the other batmobiles. At least the Westmobile is a product of its time and it has some charm to it.
The Reevesmobile doesn't even feel like a batmobile; it's really just a F&F Dom Torreto car.
Reeves must have had no clue of what he wanted when he ordered Ash Thorp to make one. It's the most basic and generic version of a "muscle car" that he could ask for.
Not to mention, how stupid it is for this Batman to have his engine exposed like that. You could literally damage it with your key chain.

Modern Batman fans rediscovering and gaining an appreciation for '66 is a whole thing, dude, it hasn't been viewed as an embarrassment to be run away from except by the most self-conscious fans for a long time. I have no nostalgic connection to a show that aired nearly thirty years before I was born yet I appreciated it enormously as an adult because it's a clever, well-written comedy.

One of the most brilliant aspects of the show is growing up and realizing that it was and always had been an intentional comedy.

I watched the first Julie Newmar episodes recently, and its one of the best examples of how well made the show could be.

One of the most brilliant aspects of the show is growing up and realizing that it was and always had been an intentional comedy.

I watched the first Julie Newmar episodes recently, and its one of the best examples of how well made the show could be.
Isn't it funny how it plays as a serious superhero show for kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"