• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Batman General News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s what separates this from the others. A character study. A detective story.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a more alcoholic, miserable Gordon instead of the nervous energy that Oldman brought to the table (magnificently i may add) but you have to change it up. Bale’s Batman was very aggressive like a beast. Gary’s Gordon countered him with the opposite of alpha male lol. I want Wright to be more physical and give off that Danny Glover or Morgan Freeman “I’m getting too old for this ****” attitude. Like, you wouldn’t be surprised if Gordon knocks out a few thugs himself. I mean he DOES grab a hold of Batman pretty good in that teaser trailer..

Battinson can balance that out by being calmer and more fluid and ghostly. Oldman always played Jim like he was looking at Batman in wonder, in awe almost. And always fascinated like “wow, what’s your plan with this!?”. Not that Gary didn’t stand up for himself in the trilogy because he did, but he never really wanted to until he was forced. He would sometimes stumble on his words and I would sit there like “what did he say??” :funny:

Wright can bring more gravitas and a cooler vibe to the table. Like a 70’s Detective who used to be a tough guy and now he’s like 50 and still is that same tough guy but he’s just sick of knocking your block off. He’ll let Batman do it.

Maybe make him a more complex character. His wife didn’t just take the kids for Cleveland based on a lie and based on potential danger. Maybe Wright’s Gordon wasn’t faithful to his marriage. Maybe he’s a drinker. Maybe he’s too obsessed with his job.

I don't think you have anything to worry about there, he's inevitable. I just feel exhausted with him. Luckily I have faith in Reeves to find his own way in and make Joker scary and worthwhile.

I have a lot of faith in Reeves. Particularly eager to see what he does with The Riddler. A serial killer, Zodiac type thing would be ideal, with death traps. Something like his Earth One incarnation.

Wow Annefan that’s a name I haven’t seen in a long time!

I was split with Reeves going into this and of course the teaser won me over completely when it comes to this project. But now I love all his other movies so this is kinda freaking me out :funny: Like, I’m not even sure if I felt that way about Nolan while he was making Batman movies because I was always like “ehhh Insomnia is a fine thriller but a bit bland and I don’t care for Following. Memento is good but overrated. Prestige is underrated!”. And of course nowadays I can pick apart Nolan’s movies like Inception, Interstellar and Tenet (still a fan but his weaknesses are on full display).

So now i’m getting reaaaally excited for Reeves tackling a whole trilogy.

Last edited:
I saw a couple of clips from War for the Planet of the Apes the other day while Youtube perusing and it was a lot more interesting than I remembered - I need to rewatch the trilogy ASAP. I remember liking Dawn and thinking War was fine and smart, but a bit boring and tropey, but my tastes have grown a lot since I saw those two in theaters, so I need to watch them all again. I vaguely remember the script for War being more generic than the one for Dawn so the only apprehension I might have is Reeves also writing Batman (it will obviously look amazing, he's clearly a great director). Everyone involved with Batman has praised the script though, and I need to watch the Apes trilogy again before I can form a proper opinion on how he writes - and he also isn't alone in either of the movies' screenwriting credits, so who knows who did what. It seems the latest Mattson Tomlin movie wasn't very well written though, from what I've heard.

Well the latest Tomlin was meant to be a fun action movie and I think it achieved that. This is a different project. Reeves, Tomlin and the Town guy (sorry bud) sounds like an interesting mixture.

War is a little more basic than Dawn but there’s so much emotion and I really love how Matt doesn’t spoon feed exposition to you.

At the very least I hope he doesn't have a major role until at least the third movie. There's no way he won't be in it in some capacity, but I'm definitely way more excited for just good Batman content and I am definitely a bit burnt out from the character after Suicide Squad and the bizarre buzz on both sides around Joker (the real life controversies, people who love it in a toxic way and those who hate it in a toxic way). I'd be fine with him showing up but it's not something I *need* or actively care too much about, although it's sort of fun to think about what a new one could be like (and especially casting).

If he legitimately doesn't show up at all in any of the movies it might feel like a bit of a missed opportunity on some level, but it would also be refreshing at the same time. I'm sure Reeves will do a good job with it either way, but 95% chance he'll be in it at some point.

I also only really find Joker interesting when he's a force of nature meant to test Batman as a foil. Joker as a character to convey social commentary and only that does very little for me

Last edited:
Joker presence will depend on how Reeves makes his batman. Because that is what defines him in every movie. The comics is the basis, but the interpretation of the Batman by the actor and director is really how this joker will be influenced.

It's pretty hard to know for now as Reeves and the cast found out the tone throughout this movie as they said in interview.

So I'm pretty sure we won't here from him until the second one since they discovered their universe while making this picture. We won't have a cliffhanger teasing him for the second only because Begins already made that.

We may feel his presence in the second one without really knowing it's him. A crime scene unexplained, maybe Batman comes face to face with him without knowing it's him he was chasing, even us we shouldn't know.

It would be cool if his first appearance is unexpected, a surprise that we didn't see coming as viewers.

And to really stand it apart from Heath, he should be like a urban legend, a bit of a myth, only leaving trace without nothing to get a hold of, a kind of monster to mirror Batman.

If we get a sequel I hope it has a yellow colour scheme now cause it goes with the aesthetics of this universe so goddamn well.

Id prefer batman be more like war than dawn personally. Dawn is more of your summer blockbuster but definitely a cut above (much smarter and way more polished). Its an incredible summer blockbuster movie like dark knight quality.

War is more of a character study and nails the emotion. Didnt have much action but my god did it perfect the POV and character study of cesar. It is also very dark which I love. Its also interesting because matt reeves wrote war compared to dawn. Makes me excited.

Before people freak out, yes I want action. Batman needs action and unreal action but reeves is going to nail the character study and emotion and POV type movie than I need

Yeah, action and tone wise I definitely agree that it should be more similar to War. I just brought up the comparison because I remember War being a bit more tropey than Dawn. Like I said, it's been awhile and I need to rewatch them though.

I'd be fine with barely any action in the movie, but the action in the trailer looks great - it has a real weight to it that feels nice.

Id prefer batman be more like war than dawn personally. Dawn is more of your summer blockbuster but definitely a cut above (much smarter and way more polished). Its an incredible summer blockbuster movie like dark knight quality.

War is more of a character study and nails the emotion. Didnt have much action but my god did it perfect the POV and character study of cesar. It is also very dark which I love. Its also interesting because matt reeves wrote war compared to dawn. Makes me excited.

Before people freak out, yes I want action. Batman needs action and unreal action but reeves is going to nail the character study and emotion and POV type movie than I need
He'll deliver action sequences that have real stakes and real dynamic impact on plot and character.

That’s what separates this from the others. A character study. A detective story.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a more alcoholic, miserable Gordon instead of the nervous energy that Oldman brought to the table (magnificently i may add) but you have to change it up. Bale’s Batman was very aggressive like a beast. Gary’s Gordon countered him with the opposite of alpha male lol. I want Wright to be more physical and give off that Danny Glover or Morgan Freeman “I’m getting too old for this ****” attitude. Like, you wouldn’t be surprised if Gordon knocks out a few thugs himself. I mean he DOES grab a hold of Batman pretty good in that teaser trailer..

Battinson can balance that out by being calmer and more fluid and ghostly. Oldman always played Jim like he was looking at Batman in wonder, in awe almost. And always fascinated like “wow, what’s your plan with this!?”. Not that Gary didn’t stand up for himself in the trilogy because he did, but he never really wanted to until he was forced. He would sometimes stumble on his words and I would sit there like “what did he say??” :funny:

Wright can bring more gravitas and a cooler vibe to the table. Like a 70’s Detective who used to be a tough guy and now he’s like 50 and still is that same tough guy but he’s just sick of knocking your block off. He’ll let Batman do it.

Maybe make him a more complex character. His wife didn’t just take the kids for Cleveland based on a lie and based on potential danger. Maybe Wright’s Gordon wasn’t faithful to his marriage. Maybe he’s a drinker. Maybe he’s too obsessed with his job.
When you say “miserable”, do you mean kind of like the way Miller wrote him in Year One?

I still suspect the Drops are more tied to Joker than they are Hatter. But if this is what they do, it'd definitely be a memorable moment to see onscreen.

I’d really hate to see Joker with a drug related story while Mad Hatter is clearly associated with drugs. There’s so many other things that Joker can do, but just stick to what he has always been. A mass murdering terrorist.

Wow Annefan that’s a name I haven’t seen in a long time!
Good to see you @shauner111!
I was split with Reeves going into this and of course the teaser won me over completely when it comes to this project. But now I love all his other movies so this is kinda freaking me out :funny: Like, I’m not even sure if I felt that way about Nolan while he was making Batman movies because I was always like “ehhh Insomnia is a fine thriller but a bit bland and I don’t care for Following. Memento is good but overrated. Prestige is underrated!”. And of course nowadays I can pick apart Nolan’s movies like Inception, Interstellar and Tenet (still a fan but his weaknesses are on full display).

So now i’m getting reaaaally excited for Reeves tackling a whole trilogy.
The trailer won me over too. Before that I was on the fence. The tone actually seems even more grounded than Nolan which is incredible, but with a bigger focus on expressionism. I'm confident this will be the best looking Gotham since B89. Really hoping the detective angle is delivered upon to its full potential. A lot to be excited about, especially with a cast this good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"