Guardians of the Galaxy The Benicio Del Toro Thread - Who Is He Playing?

I have to disagree.

The Collector is ancient and some of his collection consists of items of power that he collected just to keep out of reach from others. I also don't believe in the fan theory that it's really Thanos this whole time. Also, didn't he tell the Asgardians to keep the Teseract because these items shouldn't stay together. If he were working for Thanos(or was Thanos in disguise)you would think he would have been more than happy to take both.

You don't think "one down, five to go" obviously implies he intends to take both? He's letting Loki keep the Tesseract for now, and will come back for it later. That's implicit in the statement. "One down, five to go"; not "okay, you keep the Tesseract, and I'll make do with just five of them."

That is the biggest reach i've ever head.

Go read Thanos Quest. The answers are right there in the comic. The Collector has one of the gems and he doesn't even know it's true purpose or power. He just knows it's incredibly rare. The same thing will happen here. He just wants to complete his COLLECTION.

There is absolutely zero link between The Collector and Thanos. It's dumber than the idea of Del Toro playing both of them.

Enough with words like "dumb" and "moronic" when discussing someone's ideas. I've had enough of it, and so have the mods. Learn to debate without insulting your opponent's intelligence; the Internet can be a helluva lot better place with a healthy dose of maturity injected.

Re-read what you wrote in bold above. Just that one post-credit scene about Tivan shows that the MCU version of the character isn't the Thanos Quest version. MCU Tivan *does* know the purpose and powers of the Stones, and that's made abundantly clear in TDW and GOTG (the leaked rough-draft review a few days ago confirms that The Collector tells Quill the whole backstory on the Stones). And MCU Tivan is doing a lot more than just collecting curios: his sinister "one down, five to go" shows that he has every intention of double-crossing the Asgardians to get not just the Aether, but the Tesseract as well.

Hasn't cherokeesam been pushing this opinion since the after credit scene in Thor? I refuse to believe that's the route they would take this character...and if they did it would be moronic.

^what I said above.

From what I've seen so far, if you want a reasonable chance of being right with a theory or idea, compare yours to Cherokeedam's.
If they are even vaguely similar, then there's a good chance your idea is wrong :D

From what I've seen so far, if you want a reasonable chance of being right with a theory or idea, compare yours to Cherokeedam's.
If they are even vaguely similar, then there's a good chance your idea is wrong :D

Line 'em up, Chuckles.
Go ahead and enlighten us with your examples, please. :woot:

God I hope the Collector isn't Thanos in disguise. Where/How did this idea get started? Is there any evidence for this whatsoever? Did I miss something?

You don't think "one down, five to go" obviously implies he intends to take both? He's letting Loki keep the Tesseract for now, and will come back for it later. That's implicit in the statement. "One down, five to go"; not "okay, you keep the Tesseract, and I'll make do with just five of them."

Yes, I realize that "one down, five to go" implies that he does in fact want all of them. I'm saying that there is no real reason for him to not take both while he has the opportunity. Why go through the trouble of letting Loki keep it and have to deal with getting it later.

God I hope the Collector isn't Thanos in disguise. Where/How did this idea get started? Is there any evidence for this whatsoever? Did I miss something?

No evidence. was started by Sam when Thanos wasn't casted and he didn't think they would have BDT just play collector

No evidence. was started by Sam when Thanos wasn't casted and he didn't think they would have BDT just play collector

Pretty much.
I've always held that The Collector works for Thanos, and even a cursory analysis of the TDW scene bears that out. When Marvel took forever to announce an actor for Thanos, and yet we knew full well that Thanos already had scenes according to Gunn, I (like lots of folks) began to wonder if someone was playing dual roles in the movie. Vin Diesel was the popular choice for that ("they couldn't possibly be wasting Vin Diesel on a talking tree who says 'I am Groot'"), but I chose BDT instead ("they couldn't possibly be wasting Del Toro on a David Bowie impersonator stuck in a cosmic museum").

I was never married to the idea, but it becomes a tiresome truism around here that, god forbid, you should actually try to use your imagination and speculate about a movie as it begins filming. Rather than debating point-counterpoint rationally and civilly, people dogpile on your theories, crap all over them and accuse you of everything from mental ******ation to DC fanboy trolling to inbreeding with your sister. So the more you're forced to defend your theories, the louder the haters get. It's like discussing religion; only worse.

Stranger things have happened. Who could have predicted the Mandarin thing? That being side, while I don't agree with your theory at all I also don't support all the insults people are throwing around

I didn't mean to be personally insulting. I apologize. But saying an idea is stupid isn't the same as actually calling someone stupid.

I don't think CherokeeSam is stupid. I just think his idea about The Collector and Thanos, is :)

I was never married to the idea, but it becomes a tiresome truism around here that, god forbid, you should actually try to use your imagination and speculate about a movie as it begins filming. Rather than debating point-counterpoint rationally and civilly, people dogpile on your theories, crap all over them and accuse you of everything from mental ******ation to DC fanboy trolling to inbreeding with your sister. So the more you're forced to defend your theories, the louder the haters get. It's like discussing religion; only worse.

Could've fooled me that you weren't married to the idea you presented about BDT being Thanos. Your posting style is very "matter of fact" when it comes your concoctions and you mentioned the idea more than what would be considered casual.

Could've fooled me that you weren't married to the idea you presented about BDT being Thanos. Your posting style is very "matter of fact" when it comes your concoctions and you mentioned the idea more than what would be considered casual.

e40.gif

My posting "style" is that I think it's completely unnecessary and totally redundant to preface everything I (or anyone else) say(s) with "in my opinion...." in threads that are categorically set up for speculation, guesswork, and fanwankery. (Like this one, whaddyaknow, with a great big question mark right there in the thread title.) And unlike certain other posters around here, I don't try to dress up my opinions and theories with mysterious "insider information" that's inevitably proven to be so much b.s. All I do, and all I've *ever* done on SHH, is try to have fun guessing all this stuff out; but when people try to jump my **** and personally flame and insult me simply because they disagree with my goddamn imagination and logic....well, I'll defend that to my death, for as long as it takes.

Wouldn't you?

My posting "style" is that I think it's completely unnecessary and totally redundant to preface everything I (or anyone else) say(s) with "in my opinion...." in threads that are categorically set up for speculation, guesswork, and fanwankery. (Like this one, whaddyaknow, with a great big question mark right there in the thread title.) And unlike certain other posters around here, I don't try to dress up my opinions and theories with mysterious "insider information" that's inevitably proven to be so much b.s. All I do, and all I've *ever* done on SHH, is try to have fun guessing all this stuff out; but when people try to jump my **** and personally flame and insult me simply because they disagree with my goddamn imagination and logic....well, I'll defend that to my death, for as long as it takes.

Wouldn't you?

They only do that because of what I was talking about. Once you've compiled an idea in your head, you tend to repeat it to the point where it seems like you're campaigning. At the end of the day, I don't think people will fault your creativity if it's not forcefully pushed on them. I'm just being honest, not really trying to criticize.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"