Guillermo del Toro plots 'Pinocchio'

The Sage

The World's Finest
Reaction score
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117995936.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&query=Pinocchio

Guillermo del Toro plots 'Pinocchio'
Producer, Henson Co. teaming for feature
By DAVE MCNARY

Guillermo del Toro’s developing with the Jim Henson Co. a darker version of the “Pinocchio” fairy tale as a stop-motion feature.
Project will be produced by JHC co-toppers Brian Henson and Lisa Henson along with senior VP Jason Lust. Del Toro will exec produce.

Del Toro’s working on the screenplay with Gris Grimly, who illustrated a 2002 version of “Pinocchio.” Grimly and Adam Parrish King will co-direct the film.

Del Toro disclosed the project in an interview with the website Bloodydisgusting.com and said that it would take about three years to complete.

Pinocchio first appeared in the 19th century book “The Adventures of Pinocchio” by Carlo Collodi. Walt Disney produced the first feature version of the story with his animated “Pinocchio” in 1940.

Francis Ford Coppola tried producing “Pinocchio” in the early 1990s at Warner Bros., but the project stalled and led to his suit against the studio when he couldn’t set it up at Columbia. A jury awarded Coppola $80 million in damages, but that figure was cut to $20 million when a trial judge tossed out the punitive damages.

“Pinocchio” is the latest in a long list of projects to which del Toro’s attached. Top priority is New Line and MGM’s “The Hobbit,” the two-picture project to which he’s committed the next five years as director and as co-writer with Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens.

He also has a three-year first-look deal with Universal, where he’s setting up remakes of “Frankenstein,” “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” and “Slaughterhouse-Five,” an adaptation of Dan Simmons novel “Drood” and several other projects (Daily Variety, Sept. 4). More than one option(Co) Daily Variety
Filmography, Year, Role
(Co) Daily Variety

Del Toro + Jim Henson Co. + Pinocchio = Genius!!!

The Sage,

Don't forget about the craptacular live-action version with Martin Landau and Johnathan Taylor-Thomas

I've never seen it. The interest here is what Del Toro does with it.

I've seen Del Toro's Hellboy which I liked, and his Pan's Labyrinth which I love and own.

did the jim henson comany work on the 90s version of Pinochhio already?

what exactly do you mean by "darker" version of Pinocchio?

pinocchio is already dark. samething with Alice in Wonderland, so I don't understand Hollywood sometimes.

Clearly many people have never read the original story. So he wants to make a version that actually does justice to the original, which is much darker and weirder than most adaptions? Fine. AFTER he's done with the Cthulhu mythos.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"