Guardians of the Galaxy The Benicio Del Toro Thread - Who Is He Playing?

Even if they can make BdT and Bautista comparable in height they are going to need to do something to make his build bigger. BdT won't come close to the mass that Bautista has. Personally I think Thanos should be bigger than Drax, about 7', but smaller than Hulk. It makes him both imposing as a villain yet impressive when he manhandles the bigger Hulk.

They were never gonna find an award caliber actor big enough to portray Thanos without CG or prosthetics.

If Del Toro is playing a role like Thanos, I hope things don't go sour with him and Marvel after one movie and they end up having to recast quickly.

I don't think Thanos' actor will have the same problems that Weaving and Rourke had with their characters because he's designed to be very formidable, deep, and have multiple film appearances.

I'd have to agree with the consensus that he's Thanos. My first thought when I heard the news.

I wonder if he regrets not doing STID and sees this as his chance to do a space opera genre film.

I just cant imagine him to be anyone else other than Thanos, at this point, he is the only character I imagine who is guaranteed to appear in more movies, even if GOTG flops.

Plus BDT is a high profile actor, you hire him for a high profile role, and you dont get any higher than Thanos at the moment if you ask me.

Prosthetic chin, body paint, lenses and wardrobe. It's all he needs to be Thanos.

Good to me.

They will use various techniques to make him bigger a la LOTR. 7 ft sounds right.

Um, well... according to the Site-That-Shall-Not-Be-Linked-To, Marvel Freshman dropped that BDT will be playing The Collector.

That's... interesting, to say the least.

I'm guessing he'll be a villain in Avengers 2. It makes sense to cast someone with his range as Collector. In GotG I expect him be more of a neutral character that you see wants to protect the universe and in A2 he'll be played up as more of a villain trying "collect" the Avengers in preparation for Thanos.

To say i'm underwhelmed by the reveal is an understatement, BDT as The Collector just seems like a massive waste of talent. And I did NOT expect TC to be in multiple marvel movies, any more than 2 anyway.

Very dissapointed with this, someone like Terrence Stamp could have been TC, BDT would make an amazing Thanos.

BdT as Collector is a waste of talent because...? The role is sufficiently large and would make full use of BdT's range. When it was leaked that Collector would be in the film you should have known he would be in multiple MCU movies because he's an Avengers villain.

Just because he's not the main bad guy in the universe dosen't mean the role is a waste of talent. There could be a much better Thanos out there and BdT could just be an excellent Collector. Win/win.

BdT as Collector is a waste of talent because...? The role is sufficiently large and would make full use of BdT's range. When it was leaked that Collector would be in the film you should have known he would be in multiple MCU movies because he's an Avengers villain.

Just because he's not the main bad guy in the universe dosen't mean the role is a waste of talent. There could be a much better Thanos out there and BdT could just be an excellent Collector. Win/win.

I just think that Thanos is going to be in this MCU A LOT longer than The Collector is. So having BDT for Thanos would have just been a much better fit for me. I honestly cant see TC being used for more than 2 movies. So BDT signing a multi-picture deal to play him seems pointless.

Thats not even mentioning Thanos' capacity for better storylines than TC, it just seems like a waste to me, big-time.

So if I'm recalling things correctly and speculating here, Collector will have a somewhat small role in GotG (possibly is the audiences eyes to how bad Thanos is, where as the GotG doesn't know it yet) and he possibly recruits the GotG at the end and informs them of the real threat and then also if he's going to be in A2, he essentially "collects" (recruits) the rest of the Avengers team to fight Thanos?

idk about the avengers recruiting, but maybe the gotg thing he may have something to do with

Personally, I think this is further evidence pointing towards Thanos *not* having a strong role in GotG.

I don't even know where Thanos could fit now after all these roles.

Personally, I think this is further evidence pointing towards Thanos *not* having a strong role in GotG.

yep, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. He's going to have a looming presence in the movie I think, but not much interaction with the team itself.

I don't even know where Thanos could fit now after all these roles.

see above :)

Personally, I think this is further evidence of Marvel Studios blowing smoke up our asses, just like they did with IM3. IM3 was practically headed for post when they *finally* dropped the bombshell that Mandarin *would* be in the movie after all. (Sorta --- don't get me started on that, please.)

Collector makes no sense at all in the context of what little we know about GOTG, let alone Avengers or any other Marvel movie. You're not going to make a story about the cosmic curator of a museum full of captive superheroes/villains from across the galaxy interesting.

Instead, I'm willing to bet right now any amount of Internet dollar$ anyone cares to lose that it's another smokescreen, and BDT *is* actually playing Thanos, as most of us expect, but it'll be Marvel Studios' worst kept secret until the "big reveal" halfway through the shoot.

Personally, I think this is further evidence of Marvel Studios blowing smoke up our asses, just like they did with IM3. IM3 was practically headed for post when they *finally* dropped the bombshell that Mandarin *would* be in the movie after all. (Sorta --- don't get me started on that, please.)

Collector makes no sense at all in the context of what little we know about GOTG, let alone Avengers or any other Marvel movie. You're not going to make a story about the cosmic curator of a museum full of captive superheroes/villains from across the galaxy interesting.

Instead, I'm willing to bet right now any amount of Internet dollar$ anyone cares to lose that it's another smokescreen, and BDT *is* actually playing Thanos, as most of us expect, but it'll be Marvel Studios' worst kept secret until the "big reveal" halfway through the shoot.
I really hope you're right I got really attached to Del Toro as Thanks.

So if I'm recalling things correctly and speculating here, Collector will have a somewhat small role in GotG (possibly is the audiences eyes to how bad Thanos is, where as the GotG doesn't know it yet) and he possibly recruits the GotG at the end and informs them of the real threat and then also if he's going to be in A2, he essentially "collects" (recruits) the rest of the Avengers team to fight Thanos?
Deadline says his role is a lead so that would imply if he is the Collector it's not a small role.

I doubt this. For one thing I don't think they're going to keep going to the well with the bate and switch. Second, as far as we know, Collector does fit in the GotG movie.

now there's a twist I like!

Deadline says his role is a lead so that would imply if he is the Collector it's not a small role.

I doubt this. For one thing I don't think they're going to keep going to the well with the bate and switch. Second, as far as we know, Collector does fit in the GotG movie.

Here's DCMF's original post:

Dropping by to let you all know BDT is playing the Collector. This is coming from a Marvel Studios source who I first came in contact 2 years ago on bad terms. We've developed a great relationship over those 2 years. And in exchange for something that I can't say, they gave me this info to post on CBM. I'm sure most will remain skeptic, but I'm just the messenger.

Sounds to me like DCMF is saying he knows up front that it's disinfo to be spread to CBM to keep the fanboys busy, while he remains mum on info that he can't reveal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"