Smallville The Best, The Worst of Smallville

Agree there john jones was a good character. Same with bart. Sucks we didn't get more out of them though. But there actors where always busy.

I watched the first season of this show, then some episodes here and there and then the finale.

The best of the show: Tom Welling as Clark is fantastic, Lois Lane was fantastic, I loved Doomsday's look in the show, I thought the Green Arrow was the best part of the whole show, I also loved how they ended the show with John Williams' score I thought that was ingenious.

The worst: From what I've seen the show is waay too dramatic, Clark is too much of a complainer and a whiner. The special effects are often terrible but I'm not going to hold that against the show for obvious budgetary reasons. Also, I can not stand and the show should be ashamed of themselves for this, you never actually see Tom Welling in the Superman suit. That just drove me nuts.

ya the whole shipper thing, and so much drama did kill the show at various points.

Yeah sometimes it was just a bit much and then Clark contemplating being Superman and doing whats right got to be a bit ridiculous. I understand why they kept putting off because the show isn't about him being Superman but it just got to be a bit much at times. Though it never made me want to stop watching the show in fact watching the few episodes that I did makes me want to watch the whole series now.

I wish Green Arrow had not become a regular character on the show. He took to much of the focus off Clark.

Best: I loved how they developed Clark's abilities over the course of the series. I wished they would have let flight happen earlier, but overall, I'm pretty happy with how it played out. The set-up for x-ray, heat vision, and super hearing remain my favorite reveals for the show.

Worst: Too much shipper drama for my taste. I know, it was the WB and the CW, but they could have at least had more episodes focusing on character's developing and had less Offscreenville going on.

Last edited:
Darkseid has potencial, had potencial.

This is the only immediate thing I can think of in Smallville that just rubbed me the wrong way. When I first heard that Darkseid was coming, I thought "YES! The alien god is coming to WRECK ALL KINDS OF ****". Then there's this black cloud mist bull ****....A wasted opportunity. I guess after Doomsday, they figured one major make-up effects villain was enough.:whatever: He was pretty much DINO.

Darkseid In Name Only.

it does suck they held flight off so long it did make it bad move same with gough/millar not caring about doing glasses. I said it before many times it would have been best to have clark wearing glasses full time back in season 3 after he was blinded.

it does suck they held flight off so long it did make it bad move same with gough/millar not caring about doing glasses. I said it before many times it would have been best to have clark wearing glasses full time back in season 3 after he was blinded.

I think the main reason Clark didn't wear glasses is how many tv shows, especially ones targeted for females aged 18-34 does the main character wear glasses.

Ya probably but still it would have made sense then, and just have him wear them at school, but when home/with pete have them off. But oh well.

Oh Smallville..I think it was always inconsistent. There were amazing episode and then were just horrific episodes. I think during "Freak of the Week" years the show was it's worse, just in terms of acting and writing. I mean it was new and exciting but it got old fast. Only when they branched out did they have great episodes. Season 5, was a mess but had the 100th episode...I mean I could go on. Each season had at least one stellar episode...but man was Smallville a mess and man do I miss it!

Oh Smallville..I think it was always inconsistent. There were amazing episode and then were just horrific episodes. I think during "Freak of the Week" years the show was it's worse, just in terms of acting and writing. I mean it was new and exciting but it got old fast.

I sort of disagree with this. While I can see the getting old fast POV for the FOTW, I thought the first season more then any other season was the best at developing personal relationships during the episodes and having character motivations be rather constant. It seems as the seasons moved on it felt like the personal relationships between characters just got more choppy and to many times it just felt like a characters personality was written to suit that given episode instead of having a nice continuing feel from episode to episode.

In terms of FOTW, while a few episode were rather bland and boring one thing I did like about them was it gave Clark somebody to go up against for the A plot of the episode. I much rather watch an episode of Clark fighting the "bad guy" then an episode spending 42 minutes of Clark trying to stop Lana's marriage basically. I also think having somebody bad for Clark to go up against made Clark look better as opposed to having the main plot be Clark is all whiney and depressed because his life sucks. I also much rather watch the personal relationship stuff be b and c plotlines in an episode on a more happy note, then be pushed to the a plotline and full of angst and melodrama(something which I found later seasons, especially the mid ones from 5-7 guilty of).

In general I am a fan of episodes people would label "filler" such as FOTW ones because I rather watch episodes tie up the story within 42 minutes with a proper conclusion then some dragged out drama that lasts over many episode(usually with a terrible payoff in the case of Smallville)

Last edited:
BEST of SMALLVILLE:

1. Well to start things off, I thought that Smallville, for the most part, did an exceptional job in finding the right set of actors and actresses to portray their characters, especially the ones that were from comic origins. Despite mishandling some of the characterization for a lot of these characters in my honest opinion, Smallville remained consistent in finding the right people to portray their characters.

2. Love it or hate their decision to do so, I commend Smallville for having brought in so many DC characters into their show; giving these characters a chance to be exposed to the GA in live action format, a lot of which made their debut as live action characters. Unlike the films, Smallville has done a great job in really creating this great scope of the DC Universe within their franchise.

3. I enjoyed on how they dived into some areas for exploration in regards to Clark's development into becoming Superman in seasons 7-10. Like the producers said, I thought it made a better transition and development to see Clark going through trial and error in his role as a superhero, and how it made sense that he wouldn't just come out wearing the Superman costume on his first day as a superhero.

4. Fleshing out characters; I loved on how the show gave me a chance to look at characters such as Clark, Lois, Lex, and Zod for example in a new and better light (not that I saw any of them in a negative light previously) but it definitely made me become bigger fans of the characters that I had thought that i had known so well previously

WORST of SMALLVILLE:

1. Triangles; I mean if I had a nickel for every time that there was some unneeded and angst filled triangle on this show, I would have more than enough money to bribe everyone into making another live action season.lol

2. Lana's character was definitely something that really ended up being detrimental to the show in my honest opinion. In the first two seasons, she really felt like a believable character that was easy to root for and see on screen. I don't why, but somewhere down the line, the producers became obsessed with trying to figure out on who they could pair her up with romantically on the show than they could in developing her as a tolerant character that wasn't shoehorned into stories just for the sake of having her involved.

3. The inconsistencies with developing characters at times due to the fact that it was obvious on how the producers had gone into the beginning of each new season thinking that it might be the last at some point during the series history...thus prepping characters up for something, only to stall everything and find some way to introduce a obstacle that wouldn't make sense and just hurt the characters when they discovered that they had a new season to work with.

4. I'm with the majority that feel that Tom Welling should have been designated to wear the suit by the end of the series. I don't buy the excuse that the producers gave and feel that if they truly didn't intend for Tom to wear the suit, then they shouldn't have put so much emphasis on the suit itself at the beginning of season 10. After 10 years of watching Clark's development into becoming the Man of Steel, I think fans deserved a HELL of a lot more than what we got when it came to Superman exposure.

4. Shipper Wars; my god, if there was anything that I detested a lot was how low a lot of fans would sink themselves to when discussing their favorite ship and how they would bash characters and the cast members that portrayed them in order to feel validated and secure with their own preferred ships. I admit that I was a fan of the Clark/Lois and Chloe/Oliver romantic relationships (when they were written well) but I wasn't a fan of the whole shipper debate that would arise at times with other ships that would conflict with each other or whatnot.

^ In all fairness, #4 happens on pretty much every show these days. Although some of the Smallville stuff was especially egregious due to the folks over at K-Site.

^ In all fairness, #4 happens on pretty much every show these days. Although some of the Smallville stuff was especially egregious due to the folks over at K-Site.

Haha; true.

Oh, and another thing that really irked me was how they resorted towards using the Deus Ex device as a means for justifying things.

For example; I hated how the FOS/Jor-el could literally do anything (Time Travel, Restoration of Powers, Teleportation, Resurrection, etc) and yet if Krypton had that type of technology, how the hell did they still end up getting destroyed?

Also, I wasn’t a fan of how they resorted towards using the orb as a means of being the device that would seemingly control Clark while hosting a bunch of cloned kandorians (powerless ones I might add)….and Kara’s bracelet was another plot holt unto itself.

When it came to Krypton’s mythology and technology in general, it really feels as though the writers really didn’t have a good idea as to how they should execute in telling their version of Krypton that made sense.

That the person who wrote it is an idiot.

Ya that dude seemed like a total hater on sv.

I don't think that was stupid, or that he was hating on Smallville too much. It was just a list of his top worst episodes and why he hated them really. Most of what he said I agreed with actually. Other than Rabid, which I liked.

That is a weak list. No mention of the disaster that happened in the middle of season 8, killing Jimmy and saying it wasn't Jimmy all along, and bringing Lex back just to wipe his memory.

He went after to many easy targets(Craving, Thirst, Spell, etc). There is much worse things in my mind the show did then have a few cheesy episodes or plot ideas.

To this day I never understand what was so bad about the FOTW in Craving compared to most other S1 Freak of the weeks(that are as equally as cheesy). Seems like people put to much emphasis on the Deer eating scene. I constantly see Craving get rated the worst S1 episode when if you judge it from an overall standpoint I think it had alot more going for it then people give it credit for(yet they hark on the deer eating incident).

Last edited:
I liked season 1 for the most part. The FOTW thing never really seemed to bother me but I remember thinking when would they go into Clark's alien mythology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"